Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Firmly Attached Bark for Natural Edge Bowls (Read 159 times)

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Firmly Attached Bark for Natural Edge Bowls
Oct 7th, 2018 at 6:50pm

My understanding is that bark is not firmly attached to a log or branch until the new wood and new bark has "hardened" meaning the new cells have died.  I have always interpreted this to mean bark will not be firmly attached until about November here in Cincinnati, and will cease being firmly attached around March, when a new growing season begins.

A healthy red elm tree was cut down in mid September here to make way for construction, and I made a couple natural edge bowls for practice, expecting the bark would come off easily as the bowl dried.  To my surprise, the bark remains firmly attached.

Anyone have experience with enough natural edge bowls to suggest when the bark is firmly attached, if earlier than November?

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Re: Firmly Attached Bark for Natural Edge Bowls
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 10:51am

As an old forester, I will take a crack at this question.  It is generally accepted that the bark is tight in winter conditions as there is little sap flow.  Some say here is no sap flow in the winter but if true the tree would be dead.  A young tree will have more sap movement thru the cambium than an old tree.  Any tree under drouthy conditions will have will have little sap flow.  Your tree Don, was cut in Sept and turned in early Oct. and may not have had time to dry in your climate to the point where you can say for sure it will stay on.  So....   I guess you get the old it depends answer

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Re: Firmly Attached Bark for Natural Edge Bowls
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 9:23am

Gads I am forgetting basic botany stuff....  A tree cut in Sept, will have less sap flowing than say in early June.  As the day get shorter plants start to shut down for winter.  It is not like the plants stop at  first frost.  Hardwoods have the fall leaf color change long before the frost hits.  Many people think that it has to freeze for the leaves to change which is not the case. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print