WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Shelbyville, Indiana, USA
Shelbyville
Indiana
USA

Wood identification
Oct 8th, 2018 at 8:32pm

I started a bowl from what I thought was a piece of an ash tree cut from my yard.  I live in central Indiana.  I have attached a picture of the log from which I cut the blank and a picture of the rough turned bowl.  The bowl is red and I have not previously seen this in Ash.  I am wondering if this is really red oak.  Can anyone help identify this wood?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Glenn Roberts

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Re: Wood identification
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 9:18pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 7:19am

If it wasn't for the red color the grain looks a lot like ash.  The bark is inconclusive:  the tell-tale diamond pattern in the bark is missing.  However, if you do a Google image search of ash bark, you will see quite a bit of variation in the bark and  the diamond pattern.  Also I have seen a lot of crotch sections and cannot recall ever seeing such a distinct "feather" figure in oak.  So I would bet 50 cents that it is ash.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 7:39am

Welcome to the forum.  Here you will find great range and depth of information and assistance.  Especially I would like to recommend the videos here, which all have been previewed before being listed, so there is little chance of unsafe or poor practices being shown.

If the tree was dropped because it was declining or dead, are there telltale D shaped holes through the bark where the adult ash borer exited the tree?  It is possible the bark and grain pattern are ash.  I've never opened an ash fork, so I can't say whether the reddish wood is characteristic.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 8:51am

I agree with the general consensus that it's most likely Ash.
The coloring could be some type of mineral staining, I don't know it this contributed to the tree's demise or not.
While not having turned a lot of either species, I find Red Oak to be a bit more fibrous (splintery) than Ash.
JMO

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 9:45am

Looks like oak from here.  Red Oak has an unmistakable smell, Ash does not, in my experience.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 4:16pm

I would guess ash as well. Some times called poor man's oak. I have never seen the red in ash either. I did get a sycamore/London plane tree that was blood red in the center, but most of the color was gone within an hour of cutting the red part open...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Dave Wheeler
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Shelbyville, Indiana, USA
Shelbyville
Indiana
USA

Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 6:51pm

We have a big problem with the ash borer and have cut about 60 ash trees from around the house.  This piece of wood was from one of the last times we had them cut down.  I am reasonably sure it is Ash but have never seen this color.  I    can't wait to finish the bowl in a few months to see what it looks like when it is done.  I am real excited about the feather feature which is what I was hoping for when I cut the blank from the crotch of the tree.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 7:48am

If you still have a piece of the log, the galleries made by the ash borer larvae are very distinctive just under the bark.

Otherwise, Bruce Hoadley's Identifying Wood should help identify the bowl's end grain.  It's a great reference book but if you aren't in the market your local public library may have a copy.

IP Logged

Jurriaan Kalkman

just below the middle, Netherlands
just below the middle
Netherlands

Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 6:17am

I have used ash that got this color in contact with air. Bit of a pain in the !@#, because finishing off the tenon a day later gave me a considerable color change between bowl and foot. Required lots of sanding with grits I normally don't have to use.

Luckily, not every ash tree is this annoying. Beautiful wood, your bowl!

Well, I'm a Dutchman!
IP Logged

Alistair Hancox

Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Madison
Wisconsin
USA

Nova Galaxi
Reply #10 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 12:29pm

Pretty wood. I haven't turned a lot of Ash but I do have a few Red Oak rough turned bowls drying at home. I agree with Jeff. If you'd been turning wet Red Oak, you'd know about it! The smell is strong and not terribly pleasant.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print