WR Rocks!

Rochester, New York, USA
Rochester
New York
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
CBN wheels...again
Oct 15th, 2018 at 1:38pm

It's time for me to change my grinder's wheels and I was considering going with CBN wheels. Never tried or saw one in action, except in videos and I have some doubts and questions about which grit to get. I know there are plenty of posts, articles, etc., but reading all the different opinions has been a little bit confusing and I have a couple of scenarios opening a this point.
I like to reshape my tools once in a while and making new ones by myself so I thought that probably the 80/180 grit two CBN wheels configuration would have been the best choice.
Then I started to think about getting also a new grinder for the new wheels and keeping the old grinder with AO wheels because once in while I also use it with no hss metal, so I will have an AO wheel for reshaping tools.
In this case, so which CBN wheels grit for the new grinder? 180 and 360/400/600? If the 180 is good enough to give you a nice sharp edge on your tools, do I really need a higher grit? Or for scrapers the 180 is not enough and I really need that 80 grit wheel?

IP Logged

Allan Miller

WR Rocks!

Eclectic, Alabama, USA
Eclectic
Alabama
USA

Laguna Revo 18x36
Re: CBN wheels...again
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 7:08pm

I went with 180/360 on my new grinder and left the 80 on the old one for reshaping. Only time I ever use the 180 now is when I reshape one before putting it on the 320 for sharpening. The 320 puts a very good edge on my tools.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 3:08am

This Topic was moved here from Turning Talk by David Hamann.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 8:31am

Allan Miller wrote on Oct 15th, 2018 at 7:08pm:
I went with 180/360 on my new grinder and left the 80 on the old one for reshaping. Only time I ever use the 180 now is when I reshape one before putting it on the 320 for sharpening. The 320 puts a very good edge on my tools.

That's almost exactly what I was going to suggest..
Keep in mind that you only purchase CBN wheels one time. They stay true and don't wear, this give a reliably consistent grind every time.

IP Logged

StefanoBastianelli

WR Rocks!

Rochester, New York, USA
Rochester
New York
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 10:53am

Thanks guys. So the 360 for sharpening gouges and skews, the 180 for scrapers?

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 11:15am

If you are getting only one, then the 180 will do for 90% of what you will need. For a second one, I would go with 600. I do have a 320 grit wheel, and don't have a lot of time on it. Main reason to skip up to 600 is that the 320 isn't really a big jump from the 180. The 600 does provide a good clean edge for difficult tear out prone wood. For the skew chisel, you still need to hone it to remove the burr. The 180 does leave a nice burr on scrapers, and I can't really tell any difference between the 80 and 180. The 180 is generally good for minor reshaping. If you have serious reshaping to do, like starting from a square end blank that you want to turn into a skew chisel with your own special profile, you need a 36 grit belt sander, or a lot of time. Even the 80 grit is fairly slow on that. Some saw sharpening shops will have that, or keep a 36 grit wheel around just because... Other than that, you need a good grinder to push these heavy wheels. Best bargain out there is the Rikon 1 hp grinder. The smaller 1/2 hp one just doesn't have the guts to push that much weight... Of course, you could have 2 or 3 or 4 grinders, all with different grits..... There is no end to the vortex, well, maybe no bottom.....

robo hippy

IP Logged

StefanoBastianelli

WR Rocks!

Rochester, New York, USA
Rochester
New York
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 11:21am

Thanks Robo. That was my thought about the difference between 180/3XX
Well, there is an end in the amount of space in my garage Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2018 at 11:22am by StefanoBastianelli »  

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 8:01pm

I use a 180 for my scrapers and a 320 for all my gorges and skews.  Woodturner's wonders typically has aggressive pricing.  They're worth the change.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print