Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cellulose Sanding sealer (Read 498 times)

Wil Russell

WR Rocks!

Axminster AT1416VS
Cellulose Sanding sealer
Oct 25th, 2018 at 6:21am

How do you apply it? I’ve just bought a spray can for some jobs but normally wipe it on with paper towel from a jam jar.
Some folks use condiment (squirty) bottles and some put it on with a brush. What’s your preference and do you thin it?  Smiley

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Cellulose Sanding sealer
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:37am

Could someone chime in with some basic info on cellulose sealer?  How does it differ from "sanding sealer," how does its use differ from the same?  Or all "sanding sealers" the same?

IP Logged

Wil Russell

WR Rocks!

Axminster AT1416VS
Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 9:07am

You can get Cellulose, Acrylic and Shellac Sanding sealer. I use Cellulose because it dries rapidly.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 9:10am

Sealer. Any product that seals the pores to benefit a top coat

Sanding sealer. Any product that seals the pores to benefit a top coat with a sterate added. This is a lubricant to aid in sanding and clogging of abrasives.

Cellulose sanding sealer. Lacquer based Sanding sealer, see above.

There are also shellac sealers and sanding sealers, water based versions, hybrids and many other products, Read the manufacturers application methods and thinning procedures before applying. (on a test piece)

IMO, use it only when needed, applying sealer or sanding sealer is not necessary in all applications.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Like many other things, the terms used are based with specific information but many times the words get used interchangeably which leads to confusion.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 7:50am

If I understood the brief description, cellulose is long chains of bonded glucose molecules.
Nitrocellulose is the result of carefully mixing nitric acid with cellulose.
"Cellulose" sanding sealer is a combination of nitrocellulose and stearate, a soap to make the dried product easier to sand.
My confusion was a result of the sanding sealer being referred to as "cellulose sanding sealer" rather than "nitrocellulose sanding sealer."
My apologies for the posted question.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 9:05am

Don Stephan wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 7:50am:
My confusion was a result of the sanding sealer being referred to as "cellulose sanding sealer" rather than "nitrocellulose sanding sealer."
My apologies for the posted question.

It's always good to clarify IMO, this type of thing happens quite a lot when it comes to finishing products.

Back to the OP's question, I rarely use any type of sealer for the following reasons.
1. It's not required for the subsequent finish. If the finish will cover and adhere properly it's not necessary.
2. Color, Depending on the sealer, it can impart a yellowing or amber tone to the finish, if not immediately, over time.
3. It doesn't benefit the finishes I use, If it doesn't help the look or performance of the final finish, it's an unnecessary step. I don't stain, color or dye my wood often so even absorption of the finish isn't necessary.
4. I prefer to stick with one product as much as possible. There are many combinations of what can and can't be coated over what, I prefer to avoid the situation as much as possible.

I do use sealer under latex paint. Sealing the wood prior to coating with water-based products provides a better surface and eliminates any grain raising issues.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2018 at 9:17am by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

StefanoBastianelli

WR Rocks!

Rochester, New York, USA
Rochester
New York
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 10:33am

Does anybody know what kind of sanding sealer is that one from Minwax (the whitish one)? I assume just water based.

IP Logged

Simon Barnard
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Nailsworth, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Nailsworth, Gloucestershire
United Kingdom

Vicmarc 300
Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 3:38pm

Some good ‘how to’ videos here on Chestnut’s site:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Simon

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Wil Russell

WR Rocks!

Axminster AT1416VS
Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 1:49pm

Thanks for the link Simon.  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print