WR Champion

WR Rocks!

Kent, Wa, Washington, USA
Kent, Wa
Washington
USA

Vacuum Chuck
Nov 15th, 2018 at 4:58pm

I suppose it's a little late for me to be asking this question, but I just purchased the Frugal Plug-N-Turn Vacuum system. It has not arrived yet but I'm curious, does anyone have any experience with it either negative or positive?

IP Logged

Paul Grenier
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Powermatic 3520B
Re: Vacuum Chuck
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 5:16pm

I bought his "Plug and Play" version and have been very happy with it.  Plenty of vacuum being pulled and quieter than I thought it would be.

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 8:54pm

Bought one three years ago.  It was one of the best tool purchases I have made since I started turning.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Dave Richards

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 10:19pm

love mine, don't think I would go back to the old way. If it dies I'll order another

IP Logged

Doug Calvert
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

Kent, Wa, Washington, USA
Kent, Wa
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 9:06am

Great news.  Thank you.  I'm looking forward to trying it out.

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Addict

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 10:54pm

What is it?  Cheesy

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2018 at 8:58am

In the for what it's worth category...when I decided to change to a vacuum chuck system several years ago, I read countless articles and opinions about the various systems available.  I too landed on the Frugal system but still wasn't sure due to the costs and not knowing much about the pump itself.  My brother, a machinist by trade, actually called and talked to one of the folks at Frugal about their system and how they arrived at it.  My brother assured me that I would have no problems with the system and he's been right going on three years now.  Yes, it's a bit pricey but it's easy to set-up, quieter than expected, and has run flawlessly since.  I chose to use one of the connectors from JT Turning while using the small and medium size chucks offered from Oneway.  A bit of an expensive Frankenstein approach to be sure...but easily one of the best decisions to improve my over-all turning ability since I started.  Good luck...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ron Page

WR Rocks!

Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 9:01am

I just followed the good hints above, went to the Frugal website, watched 2-3 videos, and now am sold on this product.  The vacuum pump they use is what sealed the decision.  I was always hesitant to get into vacuum chucks because I didn't want to add to the noise in the shop and didn't want to deal with subpar pumps.  This should take care of both issues.
Thanks to all who commented in this thread.  Your good reports really helped. Without those I still would have thought it was too much $$ to invest at my hobby/pastime level. Now, the ball is in Santa's court...

ron
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2018 at 9:03am by Ron Page »  

IP Logged

Ron Page

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 9:37pm

And Santa came through.  Should be here in a couple of days.

Thanks to all replies above and the OP for the thread, as this thread is what resulted in my order.

ron

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 7:23pm

Vacuum chucking is WONDERFUL but not fool proof.  Be sure you THINK about what you are doing. 

Think about it when your wood is wet ...  (install filters before the vacuum pump)

Think about it when your wood is being finished ..  (never apply the first finish to your turning when it is being held by the vacuum chuck)

Think about it and WATCH your vacuum gauge when first putting wood on your lathe ... (red oak IS DIFFERENT than white oak, as an example)

I am saying that I LOVE my vacuum chuck system!! however I have made some errors when I did not THINK about it..

PS - and remember to stop the lathe before shutting off the vacuum system... yep, I have made that mistake too! Shocked
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2018 at 7:24pm by Tom Coghill »  

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #10 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 10:02am

I'm finding that the chuck leaves a tiny mark on the wood and discovered that tho it has rubber tubes on the end, it ALSO has a hard metal ring between them and THAT is what is marking the wood!!!

I'm going to find a way to glue a piece of something non marring onto the metal ring.

Other than that, I really like having it. Smiley

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Tom Coghill
WR Addict

Turning, when I am done
with my chores.

Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Anchorage
Alaska
USA

Oneway 2436, 3 HP 220V
Reply #11 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 6:31pm

Ralph - I very RARELY use all the vacuum that I have from my vacuum pump.  Example, when I am applying finishes, I used only about 5 inches Hg of vacuum.  When removing the foot form a turning, I will ramp that up to about 10 to 15.

I have never gone above 15 in of Hg of vacuum.  I use the tailstock whenever possible.

I apply a sticky foam back to my metal chucks.  I included a photo of a large flat home made chuck with a yellow foam surface.

Here is a useful graph that I use to get an idea of the amount of total pressure I am applying to a turning (see below)
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2018 at 6:37pm by Tom Coghill »  

IP Logged

Clark Pittman
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Portland, Tennessee, USA
Portland
Tennessee
USA

Both Nova Comet 2 and Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #12 - Yesterday at 7:51am

Thanks for the chart, Tom, looks like a handy reference.

After reading this thread and some further research I have also sprung for the Plug 'n' Turn vacuum system from Bob Leonard at Frugal. Merry Christmas from myself.

My shop is not heated and it beginning to get pretty cold out there for any "playing" right now, but hopefully there will still be a few days of reasonable weather here in north central Tennessee to allow me to try out the new chucking system.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #13 - Yesterday at 10:23am

John Grace wrote on Nov 18th, 2018 at 8:58am:
I chose to use one of the connectors from JT Turning while using the small and medium size chucks offered from Oneway.

To each his own and what can and can't work for your lathe.

I went with a system from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register many years ago, it just works.

Prices have gone up over the years and the Frugal seems like a good deal for some.
For me, I probably still wouldn't buy a Frugal system. One, because I don't like the hose running through the head-stock. I prefer the outboard adapter. (it works on my lathe) And two, because it looks like a cobbled together collection of parts. This is easily something I could do myself, only neater. Something without tie-wraps and electrical tape holding essential parts to the refurbished pump.  Undecided Paying for something that looks like that is just off putting, whether it has anything to do with performance of not.
If I had to do it again, I would probably buy the Vacuum adapter from JT and search out the remaining parts individually, pump, gauge, etc. I would probably end up somewhere between the price of the two systems. It would end up being my "frugal" system or  Frankenstein but I would be happy with it. JMO
Hope you are happy with yours.

IP Logged

Glenn Roberts

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #14 - Yesterday at 5:50pm

Hey Clark, I think I have a few 7000 heat rods you could fabricate an infrared heater with!

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print