Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Yorkshire Grit substitute (Read 1,196 times)

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Yorkshire Grit substitute
Nov 27th, 2018 at 12:53pm

All. Just wondering if there is anything else that is gritty like Yorkshire Grit that is used.
I'm not having good results with Walnut Log. Ordered early Nov. but no product and can't get a response from him. Email and phone call.
Maybe will order from the UK. I like the grit with resin.
Thanks,
Lee         
Angry

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Steve nix

WR Rocks!

Iota, Louisiana, USA
Iota
Louisiana
USA

1642 Jet, RobustAB
Re: Yorkshire Grit substitute
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 1:32pm

I make my own and have had fair results with it on small items
3.75 oz. Food grade Diatomaceous earth
3.75 oz. bees wax
1 pint Mineral oil.
Heat oil in double boiler , blend in bees wax until melted then add diatomaceous earth and whip in with whisk until all lumps are in solution.
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:26pm by Steve nix »  

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 2:24pm

Rottenstone should also work as the grit in your rub. Thumbs Up

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Wil Russell

WR Rocks!

Axminster AT1416VS
Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 4:37pm

Steve nix wrote on Nov 27th, 2018 at 1:32pm:
I make my own and have had fair results with it on small items
3.75 oz. Food grease Diatomaceous
3.75 oz. bees wax
1 pint Mineral oil.
Heat oil in double boiler , blend in bees wax until melted then add diatomaceous earth and whip in with whisk until all lumps are in solution.

Yes, Mike Peace made his own as well.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

mark stroud
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Livermore, California, USA
Livermore
California
USA

robust sweet 16 , oneway 1018
Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 8:25pm

Lee,
I am having the same problem that you are with the Walnut Log.Placed on order online 11/11 and still have not received it, three emails and one phone call to him with no response!! 

IP Logged

Jeff Gittos
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Nova
Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 2:51am

I am not sure if there is a supplier available over your side of the world, however you will find that this product is very similar to the Yorkshire Grit
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Cheers,

Jeff

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 11:30am

[quote author=436C6F6F564E607D7D667A090 link=1543341185/5#5 date=1543391499]I am not sure if there is a supplier available over your side of the world, however you will find that this product is very similar to the Yorkshire Grit

In addition to Yorkshire Grit and Triple-EEE Ultrashine, there is a US-made product called Dr. Kirk's Triple EEE that is sold by Craft Supplies.

Louie

IP Logged

Wil Russell

WR Rocks!

Axminster AT1416VS
Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 1:59pm

Here’s another couple.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 4:15pm

Thanks all on this. I will look into all of them.
I wrote Yorkshire Grit with my complaint and anyone else having problems should also. This might push them into having other dealers.
Thanks, Lee

IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2018 at 7:26pm

I've also had the same problems with the Walnut Log on more than one occasion. I've complained to both the Yorkshire Grit folks as well as the guy who produces Hampshire Sheen products and informed them of these issues and suggested they consider adding an additional U.S. distributor. Maybe if more people complain something may happen.

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #10 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 9:36am

Here is a link to a video by Daniel Vilarino back in '17; he also had one back in 2015.

You can buy pumice and rottenstone from a lot of woodworking stores or from Amazon.
I still have quite a bit left over from back in the 80's when I was more energetic.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 12:51pm

Everyone should keep in mind that wax on wood may cause adhesion problems with products one might want to apply next.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Nov 29th, 2018 at 2:01pm

I've been doing some research into these products and this is what I've come up with.
These is MY conclusions.
For years, people have been experimenting with better ways to sand wood. Starting with basic dry sandpaper, then serated paper, then wet sanding (various liquids) then wax sanding and every combination possible of all of these methods.
Today we have readily available products which consist of,
Mineral oil (lubricant)
Abrasive (sanding particles)
Wax (suspends sanding particles)
When these products are used, the wax suspends the abrasive particles evenly throughout the compound. The oil reduces friction and viscosity, making it easier to sand with less heat build up. The abrasives sand the surface smooth.

While working these products on the wood, the sanding dust that usually filled the air now creates a sort of slurry that gets embedded into all the small surface pores giving a smooth to the touch surface.

When you're done and the surface is wiped clean what's left is a mineral oil treatment (not a finish) with a extremely fine wax film (almost non existent)

The molecules of the mineral oil penetrate the wood and soak in, the wax and abrasive particles do not and are typically wiped off the surface. Most of the product used is now on the application and/or buffing rag.

Don Stephan wrote on Nov 29th, 2018 at 12:51pm:
Everyone should keep in mind that wax on wood may cause adhesion problems with products one might want to apply next.

100% agree

Since most all topcoats have some type of solvent in them, any minute amount of wax remaining is usually softened and either wiped away during top coat application, eliminating the problem. Or remains trapped in the top coat weakening the bond, this can lead to failure in the future.

For me, the "benefits" that some perceive from these types of products are not worth the potential consequences of a failed finish.

Just my two cents

IP Logged

Wil Russell

WR Rocks!

Axminster AT1416VS
Reply #13 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 5:58am

I’d like to know why folks are using this stuff and are they using it on bare wood or on applied sanding sealer/lacquer?

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Addict

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Reply #14 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 9:09am

I have been using Yorshire Grit a bit now and like it. BUT, i don’t like it as much on bare wood. It works better when used after a sanding sealer. That helps reduce the amount of mineral oil that soasks into the wood. Next point is that this product (and I only assume other sanding waxes) make a great base for friction polishes (which are waxed based).  If applying other finishes such as Waterlox or tung oil or lacquer, I would definately wipe the surface with a solvent like acetone...
I have a test piece which I shared earlier with a lacquer finish which so far is holding up just fine.

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print