Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Yorkshire Grit substitute (Read 1,182 times)

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Yorkshire Grit substitute
Reply #15 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 8:03pm

I was not aware that some or all friction polishes include wax.  I only use one on the inside of the occasional turned lidded box, and came cross a formula that is equal parts 3#  cut DEWAXED shellac, boiled linseed oil (BLO), and denatured alcohol.

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #16 - Dec 1st, 2018 at 11:03pm

I use it mostly with resin and it's great in that application. On wood, if it gets a wax finish that's good. I have been trying to use it under Lacquer, on wood,  and if it isn't all cleaned off it will blush under the lacquer. It shows up several days later.

I have been using it for quite a while but now can't get an order out of Walnut log and he still has not responded to my calls and emails.

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #17 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 9:47am

The 1/3 shellac, 1/3 DNA, and 1/3 oil formula seems to be  the most common for shop-made friction polishes.

You can also use 1/3 lacquer, 1/3 lacquer thinner, and 1/3 oil.

Eric Anderson (The Naked Turner) uses a friction polish made from either Howard's Butcher Block finish (mineral oil and beeswax) or Howard's Feed'n Wax (orange oil and beeswax) - the basic formula is 1/3 Howard's product, 1/3 shellac, and 1/3 DNA.

Commercial friction polishes are another matter, and there are a great many formulas.  One (available from either PSI or William Woodwrite) is only lacquer and lacquer thinner - no oil or wax at all.

Louie

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #18 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 11:40am

Louie Powell wrote on Dec 2nd, 2018 at 9:47am:
The 1/3 shellac, 1/3 DNA, and 1/3 oil formula seems to be  the most common for shop-made friction polishes.

The oil is also important.
Mineral oil never dries,
BLO on the other hand will dry and can be used a an actual finish or at least a base coat.

Any friction polish with wax or an excessive amount of oil in it is never going to be as strong (durable) as a proper shellac finish on it's own. These other ingredients speed up the application process but weaken the shellac. Also, while a shellac based friction polish (or even straight shellac) will be dried enough to handle or sand in only a few minutes, it takes a few weeks to actually be fully cured.

IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #19 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 2:44pm

You can avoid all the problems with mineral oil by not using it.  Instead I use walnut oil for wet sanding.  All the benefits of wet sanding (less heat build up, no dust, ...)  plus the walnut oil cures to a nice finish.  You can add Danish oil or WOP on top of cured walnut oil.  You can also use walnut oil with some pumice to make an EEE/Yorkshire alternative.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #20 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 5:50pm

My experience with a commercial walnut oil as a wood turning finish was that after a couple weeks the bottom of the bowl was still leaving an oily ring on a fresh clean piece of paper.  For that reason I'll not use anyone's walnut oil again, by itself or in a mix.

IP Logged

mark stroud
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Livermore, California, USA
Livermore
California
USA

robust sweet 16 , oneway 1018
Reply #21 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 8:41pm

Hi all,
I received my Yorkshire grit order today from The Walnut Log,
I am looking forward to putting it to the test this weekend, and reporting on the use.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print