Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Tools
Dec 6th, 2018 at 11:32am

THere's been a few threads recently related to tools. Everything from what tools foar a new turner, to what brand is good, to where the flute is located withing the shaft diameter.
So, for all of you tool junkies, which I think is mostly all of you. let's try to answer some questions.
If you're turning a very basic open form small bowl, let's say 6"-8" diameter x 2" high. this is a common size for many turners especially beginners. (those of you who start with a 20" log may want to sit this one out) what tools do you use during the process?

Pictured below is a bowl turned many years ago for it's simplicity and as a reference.

For myself, I would probably use a 1/2 bowl gouge (3/8" flute) for the majority of the work, roughing & shaping. I don't really care about the flute shape, all the tree main shapes will work just fine. I use the wing of the gouge on the outside in a shearing cut as ma final pass to prepare for sanding. I usually use a parting tool to define the foot and on occasion a scraper to clean off the nib in the center of the base (outside) and give a flat bottom.
So, what type of tools would you use to make a bowl like this?

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Re: Tools
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 12:03pm

Well, being an odd duck (Oregon Duck at that...) I start with a Big Ugly tool (1 inch wide scraper) for all of the shaping and roughing. I will take a 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch gouge with a 45/45 grind for finish cuts on the outside, then follow that with a shear scrape for finish cut. On the inside, pretty much the same process, scraper for roughing cuts, a pass with a bowl gouge, 45/45 for down the side, then 70 degree bevel BOB tool with a ) shaped nose profile. I shear scrape the transition and walls for final pass, and it varies for going across the bottom. Some times the gouge is fine. Some times a shear scrape for a rounded bowl bottom, or a NRS for a more flat bottomed plate or bowl. I don't use the NRS on the walls. I use scrapers with a burnished burr for all shear scraping.

robo hippy

IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 12:08pm

I might use a scraper to clean off the tool marks as a final cut, as well as a bowl gouge like you describe to get to that point.
I also use a smaller bowl gouge for the light cuts needed to finish off the bottom.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 12:58pm

..and then i would use a scraper to remove the foot. Grin

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 8:09am

As likely the least experience turner to talk on this so far, I'll nonetheless jump in.

I have a Thompson 1/2" U shape bowl gouge and a Oneway 1/2" parabolic shape bowl gouge that I swap back and forth as they dull. Both are ground to about 60 degrees +/-. I'd use both of them to turn your bowl, Ed, likely using a 1/2" "bottom of the bowl" gouge to finish up the inside bottom. I have a Hunter #5 that I may call into action, too. For the outside, I'd use the same two bowl gouges for everything.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 9:40am

Grant Wilkinson wrote on Dec 7th, 2018 at 8:09am:
As likely the least experience turner to talk on this so far, I'll nonetheless jump in

Thank you Grant

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print