Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Drilling Tool handles (Read 269 times)

Wil Russell

WR Rocks!

Axminster AT1416VS
Drilling Tool handles
Dec 7th, 2018 at 8:41am

Do many of you make your own tool handles? If you do, how do you ensure the hole is parallel to the finished handle.

I have my own methods but just wondering how other folks do it. Wink

IP Logged

David Fritz

WR Rocks!

wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Re: Drilling Tool handles
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 9:17am

I drill the hole first, then use a cone shaped live center in the hole and turn the handle. Registration should be correct. Hope that's what you were asking about.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 9:38am

David Fritz wrote on Dec 7th, 2018 at 9:17am:
I drill the hole first, then use a cone shaped live center in the hole and turn the handle. Registration should be correct. Hope that's what you were asking about.

+1
I rough turn the handle and make sure it wants to turn true. Sometimes let it dry a bit more after roughing, then drill the hole as David mentioned.
Most of my tool handles don't require a very deep hole, 2" is really all that's needed. At a 2" depth and typically 1/2" diameter there isn't much concern about bit wandering.
You could always use a spindle steady to support the handle when drilling if you feel the need.

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 10:54am

Like David said, but I used an insert for the live center with a pilot to fit the drilled hole in the handle...doesn't split the wood like a live center can.  Recently switched to home-made collet handles though, which I am very happy with.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Grizzly 462
Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 1:28pm

I place the drill in  the head and align the handle to the drill. place end of handle against live center in tail stock.Both ends of the handle have center points

Glenn J.

Glenn+J  
IP Logged

David Moeller

Old chiseler

Linden, Michigan, USA
Linden
Michigan
USA

CONOVER 15 x Infinity
NOVA Comet 10 x 16
Delta 1440 (converted to VSR)
Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 3:50pm

Lamp auger through tailstock.

One good turn deserves another miscut!

IP Logged

Wil Russell

WR Rocks!

Axminster AT1416VS
Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 3:06pm

David Moeller wrote on Dec 7th, 2018 at 3:50pm:
Lamp auger through tailstock.

This was what I did the first time I made a handle and the hole wandered off. The tool ended up sticking out of the handle at an angle. Roll Eyes

These days I have a far better lathe quality wise, but its a lot shorter so it can present problems with drilling.

IP Logged

David Moeller

Old chiseler

Linden, Michigan, USA
Linden
Michigan
USA

CONOVER 15 x Infinity
NOVA Comet 10 x 16
Delta 1440 (converted to VSR)
Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 5:27pm

Seems odd that it wandered.  If the hollow ctr matches the auger dia. the specialized  design allows almost zero drift. Gunsmiths bore dills used the same principle. For drilling short holes the other methods will work well.

One good turn deserves another miscut!

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 11:17am

Wood species, wood Moisture content, blank length, lathe speed, feed rate, bit diameter, bit type or cutting profile. (also bit length, if not using through tailstock method)
Everything must be taken into account.

Wil Russell wrote on Dec 8th, 2018 at 3:06pm:
The tool ended up sticking out of the handle at an angle.  Roll Eyes

By drilling first and checking the fit and angle, any minor variance can be adjusted for prior to turning.

JMO

IP Logged

Wil Russell

WR Rocks!

Axminster AT1416VS
Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 5:55am

David Fritz wrote on Dec 7th, 2018 at 9:17am:

Thanks David but not really enough detail. Supporting the spindle with a centre by the end of a drilled hole wont in itself ensure a concentric turning.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 8:44am

Will

Could you provide more information on the time you drilled through the tailstock spindle with a lamp auger and the resulting hole was not in line with the lathe axis?  Length of tailstock spindle, diameter of same, diameter of the lamp auger, length of drilled hole?  I don't understand how a thick lamp auger could flex. at the end of the tailstock spindle.  When I've made tool handles I simply drilled the final diameter using a drill chuck in the tailstock, and the tool was always parallel to the tool handle.

IP Logged

David Fritz

WR Rocks!

wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA
wisconsin
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 8:46am

Will, I put the square blank in a four jawed chuck and a live center on the tail stock end and turn the blank round. Once round I drill the hole in the end of the blank using a drill bit in the tail stock to the desired depth. I go slow and remove chips frequently. Given a choice I'd use a brad point bit. Now I use a cone center on my live center. Release the four jaw chuck so the blank can move and insert the cone center into the hole. Re-tighten the chuck jaws and turn my final handle shape. if the metal tool isn't straight I've not drilled a straight hole or I didn't get the cone in the opening correctly. That's all I got.

IP Logged

Wil Russell

WR Rocks!

Axminster AT1416VS
Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 9:14am

David Fritz wrote on Dec 10th, 2018 at 8:46am:
Will, I put the square blank in a four jawed chuck and a live center on the tail stock end and turn the blank round. Once round I drill the hole in the end of the blank using a drill bit in the tail stock to the desired depth. I go slow and remove chips frequently. Given a choice I'd use a brad point bit. Now I use a cone center on my live center. Release the four jaw chuck so the blank can move and insert the cone center into the hole. Re-tighten the chuck jaws and turn my final handle shape. if the metal tool isn't straight I've not drilled a straight hole or I didn't get the cone in the opening correctly. That's all I got.

Thanks very much for that David, much clearer.  Wink

IP Logged

Wil Russell

WR Rocks!

Axminster AT1416VS
Reply #13 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 9:25am

Don Stephan wrote on Dec 10th, 2018 at 8:44am:
Will

Could you provide more information on the time you drilled through the tailstock spindle with a lamp auger and the resulting hole was not in line with the lathe axis? Length of tailstock spindle, diameter of same, diameter of the lamp auger, length of drilled hole? I don't understand how a thick lamp auger could flex. at the end of the tailstock spindle. When I've made tool handles I simply drilled the final diameter using a drill chuck in the tailstock, and the tool was always parallel to the tool handle.

Hi Don, this was many years ago and I no longer have that lathe. I cant be sure but guess the hole was about 5/16 dia and about three inches deep.

My current lathe is much shorter than my old one so using a drill chuck is not really an option for me. What I do now, and its worked perfectly so far is to drill a hole in the blank as straight as I can on my milling machine. I then mount the blank onto a mandrel (held in the chuck) the same size as the drilled hole. The tailstock centre is then brought up to support and the blank turned to shape.

If I had a larger lathe Id have more options. Huh

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 11:03am

Wil, once again I use the same method as David Fritz but with one major difference.
I am not satisfied with simply putting a square bland in a four jaw chuck.
When I make turning tool handles I typically start with a 2"x2"x24" blank of fairly heavy, hard wood.
I put the blank between centers, rough out the main profile and cut a mortise to fit my chuck. Usually on tool handles this is the standard 50mm jaws. IMO this is a better hold for the drilling process without having to over tighten the chuck. For lighter weight and/or shorter blanks, the 4 jaw method can work fine.
Here are some photos of one of my handles in the works, just ready for drilling as luck would have it. As you can see by the last photo, all of the tools in the photo are inline with the handle.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print