Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
PSI Chuck Recall
Dec 12th, 2018 at 10:55am

Saw this on another site this morning.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Basically, the issue is that PSI has received reports that the CSCBARR5 quick change chuck can release its jaws on its own. 

Didn't something like this happen with another quick release chuck a couple of years ago?

A lot of new things come onto the market purely for convenience - in almost all aspects of life.  Just think about the appliances you see advertised on TV in the runup to Christmas - many of those things don't do anything that can't be done with the appliances you already have.  Instead, the advertisements try to convince you that you need to buy those appliances for the enhanced convenience. 

But that convenience always seems to come at a price (you have to buy the stuff, and its always more expensive that a basic item that does the same function).  And in this context,  the fact that the jaws of a chuck aren't held securely in place with screws is why the chuck has to be recalled - convenience translates into increased risk. 

« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2018 at 11:09am by Louie Powell »  

Louie

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: PSI Chuck Recall
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 12:27pm

I wasn't familiar with these chucks before this post.
I just watched Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register on YouTube.
Without knowing anything else, it takes about 3 seconds to see the inherent flaw in the design of these chucks/jaws.
You DO NOT make the actual quick release mechanism (the spring loaded pin) part of the mechanical holding system.
All I can say is I hope no one got injured.

IMO this was a foreseeable, preventable problem that should never have happened.

Thanks for the heads up Louie

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 12:28pm

My Vicmarc was expensive but has never disappointed me.  Takes a few minutes to change jaws but I have so much confidence in the equipment.

IP Logged

Bill Rockwood

WR Rocks!

Buena Park, California, USA
Buena Park
California
USA

Grizzly G0838
Excelsior 10x18
HF 8x12 (95607)
Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 4:03pm

Wow - so I was interested to get one of these, but now see why they are no longer offered.  I'm no engineer - but concerning Ed's statement - "You DO NOT make the actual quick release mechanism (the spring loaded pin) part of the mechanical holding system" - isn't this basically the same idea as the spring-loaded tooth on the EasyChuck that holds the jaw in place?  Is there something about the tooth vs. pin design that makes the EasyChuck safer?  Here's a CSUSA video that shows the chuck operation:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 7:24pm

On a standard screw type chuck, the notch in the slide and the raised profile on the jaw interlock. The screws mainly hold the jaws in place and provide resistance to rotational torque via the countersunk screws. During normal operation very little pressure is put on the screws, they are designed to retain.
The same principal is present on a QC type of chuck, the spring pin locking device should be there in the same way as the screws on a standard chuck. Only to retain or keep the jaw aligned, not to take the brunt of the clamping pressure.
From what I can see of these chucks, "it looks" like the spring pin holds the jaw in place and provides a large amount of the holding force, not a good idea. If the spring becomes weak or the pin becomes worn from repeated use, the jaw will not be as safe and secure.
If you look at the Nova Infinity, they have a spring release but the release mechanism does not provide the holding power.
The Easy Chuck system uses a spring release as well but it uses it in a way that if the spring fails, the jaw is still retained.
.(I'm sure you've all come across a loose jaw screw before and yet the jaw stayed in place)
If anyone has a photo of the underside of one of these PSI jaws, I would like to see it out of curiosity.
JMO, I could be wrong about the PSI, until I see one in person or a good photo I can't be 100% positive

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 10:03am

I just want to be clear,
I DO NOT KNOW why these are being recalled.
I read the recall notice and it is unclear.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
I watched the product demonstration video and the locking pin jumped out at me as being a very likely culprit, IMO it's not a safe design.
Also the recall is simply a refund, not replacement parts or repair. I infer from that, that there is something wrong with the chuck itself, not the jaws. (it would be much less expensive to replace the jaws only if they were the cause of the failure) So if not the jaws, something is causing the situation of "the jaw loosening or ejecting from the chuck".
With this info I made an educated guess that it was the locking mechanism on the chuck.

I am not a fan of quick connect chucks for my own reasons, that's another thread.
I also have an issue with poorly made and/or overpriced tools but the first step is knowing you have a problem  Roll Eyes Grin

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Addict

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 6:24pm

I am not a fan of quick connect chucks for my own reasons, that's another thread.
I also have an issue with poorly made and/or overpriced tools but the first step is knowing you have a problem  Roll Eyes Grin

Maybe that is why i now have eight chucks with various jaws! Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 7:33pm

Chris Neilan wrote on Dec 13th, 2018 at 6:24pm:
Maybe that is why i now have eight chucks with various jaws! Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes

I thought I was bad

IP Logged

Wil Russell

WR Rocks!

Axminster AT1416VS
Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 6:16am

I’m back to just one chuck. I had two but the registration wasn’t so good on one so I sold it.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print