Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
2018 sales (Read 2,608 times)

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

2018 sales
Jan 8th, 2019 at 11:49pm

Hi all,
Now that 18 is over just wondering if your sales were generally up or down. I have heard from some there sales were way off. Also, how about hot items? My biggie is hybrid mills. Then, ring and earring boxes. (hybrid) My low end sales include bottle stoppers (resin) and this year added wood spatulas. I sold the heck out of spatulas and next was bottle stoppers. These low cost items really add up and usually pays my fee. Wood bowls are real slow. My year was up.
Cheers to all,
Lee                             Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Dave Richards

WR Rocks!

Re: 2018 sales
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 10:04am

we had the best year ever. We did 3 shows ( 1-6hr show, 1-2 1/2 day show and 1- 1 1/2 day show) We also sell items out of our home if people want to come look and ended up having much more commissioned Christmas orders in 2018

IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 12:08pm

I'm fortunate in that I have decent retail space in a high end gift shop in the right part of town. I sell pepper mills and cutting boards of various shapes and sizes.  Generally, sales are pretty good throughout the year with summer and end of year holiday seasons being the highest. Initially, sales were off slightly in late summer from last year but I think that was due to in large part due to the aftermath of hurricane Florence. Christmas shopping season started off pretty slow and caused me some concern as it is the best time of the year for me. That was short lived however and sales went through the roof. According to my wife who keeps track of the inventory and finances, I sold a total of 106 pepper mills and 225 cutting boards, ranging from small cheese boards to large end grain boards throughout the year. That worked out to a 15% overall increase over 2017. What started out as a way to make a few extra $$ has almost turned into a full time job.

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 5:25pm

Hey, were getting some wonderful news on sales. Hope more will join in. After all, we only have so many people to give to and if you keep turning you will end up selling.
Thanks,

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 10:38am

My sales on the 2 big art shows I do were down this year, but one of them had a bad weather weekend so I blame that.  The one with bad weather had about half the sales of previous years and then I add in repair expenses to damage to the booth tent.

I did do a small show and sold nothing but ornaments and miniature bird houses.  It was a 6 to 1 ratio (brought in $6 for every dollar of registration cost)  The bigger shows were closer to a 3 to 1 ratio.  Of course that doesn't take into consideration other expenses.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 11:44am

Bill, What a downer. I wish more people would chime in on also what they are selling the most of and price point. I find many are under thirty dollar price point and to catch them one has to have some offerings. I only do three shows a year
myself. Too much hard work to do more for us. I find you need about three hundred people to walk by between higher end sales. I only do shows that attract five thousand and up.

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #6 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 5:24pm

I did 4 shows in 2018.  The first 2 were bad i made just enough to cover my booth.  The one in October and December were good.  October i sold a couple $100+ pieces and alot for under $30.  Same for December.  I made about the same for both shows October had alot of traffic.  December was about half the traffic but the location was in a higher income town.  My Etsy sales were up by $200 over 2017 sales.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 7:32pm

After factoring in cost of electricity for equipment and lighting, shop supplies (sandpaper, finish, rags, paper towels, . . .), kits, wood, sales expenses (booth, show entry fee, gift bags, labels, . . .) how much can one make per hour on a $30 item?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:44pm

Don, the trick is to turn it fast. You can make money on them if you figure your time and cut it down to a minimum.

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 8:50pm

All,
I found all wood doesn't sell well. Everything I make, except spatulas, are wood and resin. Resin is the best thing I got into. When people look they stop because they haven't seen it before. I won some bucks and ribbon on one show because the judges have ever seen it before.

IP Logged

Dave Richards

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 10:19pm

Depending on a lot of factors, i.e. geography, time of year,
weather, crowd size, etc etc it seems there is a wide variation in what friends tell me dollar wise is a good day.

When I do a show whether its 1 day or a day and half, I expect to bring in $1500-2500. If it's less than that generally it's not worth my time and effort. I only do craft type shows because there are no art shows in our driving area.

Not sure how that compares to others but some friends seem to be happy with $5-600 for a day to day and a half show.

IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 10:32pm

Quote:
Resin is the best thing I got into. When people look they stop because they haven't seen it before

I'll second that. Any mills and cutting boards where I have incorporated resin has sold relatively quickly.

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 11:28pm

Dave, that is good to hear. What do you find is producing the sales in your area?

IP Logged

StefanoBastianelli

WR Rocks!

Rochester, New York, USA
Rochester
New York
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #13 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 10:34am

Unexpectedly, extremely well and I am getting prepared that 2019 may not match 2018; it happens.
I don't do craft shows and moved on from Etsy. Too much time to invest in it for taking pictures and writing descriptions like books prologues. It is fine for a 200 dollars bowl, not for a 40 dollars pen; I prefer to use the time for turning. I sell with custom orders and I just have a space in a high end/high income area gift shop. Items go from the pen, bottle stopper, boxes to 24 inch platters.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 11:15am

It would be nice and informative to other members, if you people that sell at your items could post some photos.
It might be helpful to see what types of items and what quality of work actually sells.
Thank you

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print