Re: 2018 sales
Reply #30 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 3:07pm

What brand of resin are you using?

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #31 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 8:55pm

Richard, if your asking me I cast in Alumilite slow cast.

IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #32 - Jan 16th, 2019 at 11:07am

Lee Watermann wrote on Jan 14th, 2019 at 2:37pm:
My pours are usually about 43 oz. and yes a lot is on the floor but that's in the price of the mill.

43 oz? Is that a typo? Seems like a pretty high number

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #33 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 3:50pm

nope, not for a mill that's 11 3/4 tall. I start off with 3x3x12.

IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #34 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 4:20pm

Can you post some pictures of your finished mills?

IP Logged

Leo De Bruin

Turning pro as soon as
I retire

Kitwanga, BC, Canada, Canada
Kitwanga, BC, Canada
Canada

Reply #35 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 1:16am

My sales were up this year.  My biggest sellers were live edge birch bowls. I do 2 large and 1 small craft fairs. I always hope to do 1200 at the large shows and I have no expectations for the small one as that is in the community I live in(120people). I also sell in 2 art galleries and a tourist info place.  One gallery sells my expensive pieces and the other 2 sell my smaller stuff usually under $40.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #36 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 8:41am

Leo, About the same here. When you sell at galleries, how is there commission figured? They want 50% around me. I don't know if that is after the cost to make is taken out.

I'll look into posting pics, Richard. If I can't I'll PM you for your email and will do it that way.
Lee
ps: I think more info from others is a good thing. Thanks all.

IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #37 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 9:28am

Most galleries figure a 50/50 split from my experience. To me that is just bad math and in favor of the gallery.

The gift shop where I have my retail space has a pretty nice art gallery in a separate part of the building. Their split is 65/35 with makes it only just slightly better. They have asked me to put an item or two in there from time to time. Initially I was hesitant but gave it a shot anyway. I told them what I wanted out of it, they added their piece and came up with a price. Personally, I thought the items I've put in there were way overpriced but in the end everything has sold.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #38 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 10:04am

Lee... Noooo! That is NOT after the cost to make it is taken out!!

If you bought a piece of wood for $30 and then figured you spent 6 hours at $20 per hour to make it that would be $150 before any profit OR the gallery cut.

If the piece can only sell for $200 then the gallery gets $100 and you lose money.  The gallery doesn't care what you have in it, only what it can sell for. It's up to you to make sure that you can cover your expenses  and a profit from your half of the final price.

THIS is why I hate galleries.

I have this same problem with framing art. It might take $500 to frame a piece but the gallery doesn't reduce their commission just so the artist can cover the cost of framing.

This is usually why art in galleries have crappy framing....white mat and crappy shiny silver metal frame.
It allows the artist to frame it enough to display but not so much as to lose money.

When i do a piece for $500, usually the final price of the art is in the $5,000 range so no problem there.

Our best bet is to try to sell at craft/art fairs and only need to pay the cost of the show...or have our own website...or have our own gallery.

65/35 is getting more and more rare. The standard is 50/50.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #39 - Jan 18th, 2019 at 11:40am

Ralph,
Yup, that's what I figured. You have to do it the hard way and that's shows. Etsy is no good either.

IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #40 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 8:49pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Jan 18th, 2019 at 10:04am:
Lee... Noooo! That is NOT after the cost to make it is taken out!!

If you bought a piece of wood for $30 and then figured you spent 6 hours at $20 per hour to make it that would be $150 before any profit OR the gallery cut.

The way I see it, charging for your labor may not be "profit"  but it is certainly "wages"  and a net gain to your income. 

My second point is that I don't think that charging for your labor is necessarily accurate.  If Glen Lucas can turn a bowl in 20 minutes and I need two hours, should he charge less for his bowl than me?  Are you sure that you deserve to charge $30 an hour when a production turner is more efficient?

My final point is that I do not begrudge a gallery owner his or her 40-50%.  Their costs (overhead) are significant.  Plus they are providing the service of exposing your work to a large population of motivated buyers.   We have a guy in our club who doesn't like galleries and sells at 20 shows per year and brings in $20-30K per year.    His costs-to-sell (table fees, travel expenses, time spent traveling and manning the booth) are in the 40-50% range.      

IP Logged

Dick Bernard

WR Rocks!

Moneta, Virginia, USA
Moneta
Virginia
USA

Reply #41 - Jan 20th, 2019 at 6:51am

Ed hit it right on the nose.
I for one would love to see what people are buying and what they are interested in... especially the cutting boards and the resin products that are being made.

Thank you
Dick

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Reply #42 - Jan 20th, 2019 at 11:59am

One aspect about galleries is that they are an option for sales.  Like a former VP of Sales once said, "You have to put your product in danger of being sold.  If you keep it in the warehouse (or your home) nobody is going to see it to buy it."

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #43 - Jan 22nd, 2019 at 10:07am

Is anybody doing any good selling on there web site? I have one but no sales from it directly.Thinking of dropping it.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #44 - Jan 22nd, 2019 at 10:38am

Dick Bernard wrote on Jan 20th, 2019 at 6:51am:
Ed hit it right on the nose.
I for one would love to see what people are buying and what they are interested in... especially the cutting boards and the resin products that are being made.

Dick, like many of you, I like to see what others are making and selling, (which is far different than just posting).
I see items on many sites including Etsy and others that are priced far too low 9below cost) for what they are and others that are priced far to high for the level of skill presented in the listing. This is of course My Opinion.
This is why I asked to see what is actually selling, if you want to list your price that's up to you. Thanks to those who posted their pieces but more are always welcome.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2019 at 10:39am by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print