Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Resin and colors. (Read 440 times)

Gavin Botha

WR Rocks!

Rockwell Delta
Resin and colors.
Feb 4th, 2019 at 6:56am

So, I bought the wrong resin. It was the cheapest. Embarrassed  Marine grade, purple tinge. All solid colors are "muddied". I have a gallon left. Besides solid colors, can I tint this stuff?
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2019 at 6:58am by Gavin Botha »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chris Neilan
WR Addict

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Re: Resin and colors.
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 7:19am

What type resin, epoxy? What brand? I bet the cheapest was still expensive!

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 8:42am

What does the manufacturer recommend for tinting, and are lighter (i.e. lower "hue" or intensity) results possible?  Finally, if you are after a swirled mix of lower and higher intensity colors, can that resin be mixed with another more suitable for lower intensity colors?  By lower intensity or lower "hue" I mean for example a translucent light green as opposed to an opaque deep dark green.

IP Logged

Gavin Botha

WR Rocks!

Rockwell Delta
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 4:33pm

That would be polyester resin, marine grade.  $39-00 per gallon and hardener.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2019 at 4:34pm by Gavin Botha »  

IP Logged

Hondo Walker

WR Rocks!

Harbor Freight mini lathe
Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 12:01pm

Food coloring tints epoxy. It will  not tint fiberglass resin. What does?

IP Logged

Glenn Roberts

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 6:07am

Searching for what tints fg resin:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register;  

plus a ton more

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Richard Beecher

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 10:53am

What was your intent to make with the resin? There can be somewhat of a steep learning curve with resins and epoxies and that can be very frustrating at best. Few of them are cheap and the ones that are, well, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Others can be prohibitively expensive.  And, some are not well suited for woodworking projects.

There are slow set resins and there are fast set resins as well as resins somewhere in the middle. Most of them have shelf lives and temperature working/storage requirements. Because all epoxies are exothermic, the amount you can pour for a given project can be limited because of the heat produced during the cure. More heat can produce unwanted air bubbles. The list goes on.

When I made my first attempt at incorporating resins into my peppermills, it was a disaster. I quickly found that buying some resin to make something wasn't the end of the expense. Depending on what you want to make, a vacuum chamber and pump, a pressure pot and compressor are almost absolute necessities to be successful in this endeavor.

Then there are tints, dyes and micro colored and pearlescent powders as well as materials to make molds if that is your goal. Weighing scales, mixing cups and other odds and ends. More expense. It never seems to end.

There are plenty of You Tube videos to learn from. If you're looking to use resins for wood turning projects, Zac Higgins You Tube channel is a good source to learn some of the tips and techniques you'll need to be successful with resins.

Even after over a year and having some moderate success in working with resins for my projects I'm still a relative novice and have much to learn. If that's all I did I'd be better at it but it's only a small part of what I do.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2019 at 10:56am by Richard Beecher »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print