Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
picture size limitations (Read 1,222 times)

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
picture size limitations
Apr 29th, 2019 at 9:28am

For some stupid reason, I am unable to post any photo!!!
Currently, there is NO place to click on to add an image file.

Seriously, this system really stinks for adding any images.

The framing site i am on allows us to post images with NO size limits... unloke THIS placeQ

C'mom, guys!!! Get with the program and update the site to allow easier image loading. It can't be THAT hard! Other sites do it.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: picture size limitations
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 9:59am

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 9:28am:
For some stupid reason, I am unable to post any photo!!!
Currently, there is NO place to click on to add an image file.

Seriously, this system really stinks for adding any images.

The framing site i am on allows us to post images with NO size limits... unloke THIS placeQ

C'mom, guys!!! Get with the program and update the site to allow easier image loading. It can't be THAT hard! Other sites do it.

Ralph, I'll go through this one item at a time, not necessarily in your order.
1. I'm not sure why the attachments button is no longer visible, I will pass along the issue to get it resolved.
2. I will repeat, there are many reasons why there are file size limits on posting photos. "Most" sites that allow photos without size limits require a subscription fee, WR is free.
3. Looking just above the text window, the third icon from the left on the top row is for inserting images.

I know this is frustrating for some people but it is the software we currently have. Your concerns do not go unheard.

This may be only on the classified section for a reason, I am looking into it.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2019 at 10:10am by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 10:52am

Ed... do you mean that the people who run this site would have to pay a fee?

I'll have to check whether the framing site people are paying a fee. I doubt it tho as no one has ever asked for donations to keep the site running and it's been going for over 25 years as it was there when I started framing.

I do beieve the problem is currently limited to the classified section.

Gonna try your idea:

/Users/ralphfahringer/Desktop/latestphotos4:29:19/123CANON/burl1.jpg
Nope. It doesn't work, either.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2019 at 10:52am by Ralph Fahringer »  

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 11:32am

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 10:52am:
/Users/ralphfahringer/Desktop/latestphotos4:29:19/123CANON/burl1
.jpg

it is not going to work since what you have is a link to your computer. the insert image button above will only link you to a photo on the internet, unless your computer is a internet server.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I went to the Rockler site, found the chuck, right clicked in a picture of the chuck and clicked on "Copy Image Location". I then came here, clicked on the "Insert Image" button, placed my cursor in between the ][ brackets and pasted the internet location.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2019 at 11:36am by David Hamann »  

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 12:02pm

Does right click work on Macs as well  seeing as how we don't have a right click button with which to right click. Shocked

No, it doesn't. I just tried..and  there is no right button on my Kensington track ball allowing me to do that as that button is programmed for returning to the previous page.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2019 at 12:06pm by Ralph Fahringer »  

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 12:05pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 9:28am:
he framing site i am on allows us to post images with NO size limits... unloke THIS placeQ

as we have explained before:

1. we limit the picture size to keep the loading of this site as fast as possible for those who do not have high speed internet as well as those who have data limits, such as cell phone users.

2. nearly all computer monitors have a max resolution of 1920x1080. my point and shoot digital has a resolution of 5150x3864. if viewed on my monitor, i would not be able to see the whole picture, i would have to scroll left/right and up/down to see it. most photo viewers automatically resize your photo so you can see it all without having to scroll. this site does not have that feature in the code.

3. the main difference between a 1920x1080 photo and a 5150x3864 is file size. the basic human eye is unable to tell a difference between the two pictures at these resolutions.

every site has its limitations. we have to work with what we can afford and gives us the most bang for the buck.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 12:10pm

This Topic was moved here from WR Classified by David Hamann.

I moved this discussion here because it has nothing to do with classified ads. the original posts have been left in classified.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2019 at 12:12pm by David Hamann »  

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 12:17pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 12:02pm:
Does right click work on Macs as well  seeing as how we don't have a right click button with which to right click. Shocked

No, it doesn't. I just tried..and  there is no right button on my Kensington track ball allowing me to do that as that button is programmed for returning to the previous page.

I am unable to answer your question since i do not use a mac.

from iMore.com:
"How to right click on any Mac

Regardless of how your Mac is set up, holding down the control key on the keyboard and pressing your primary mouse or trackpad button will open a shortcut or contextual menu, providing the same functionality that most Windows switchers are accustomed to seeing from a right click.

If you have a third-party mouse that has a right physical button, macOS should recognize the button and map it accordingly after you plug in the mouse. If you like having a different button as your right click, you can customize which button is primary — left or right — in the Mouse system preference pane.

You may also want to check your third-party mouse maker's website for Mac drivers. Some of the better ones, like Logitech, offer very sophisticated tools for programming not only buttons, but other great functionality like optic tracking speed and acceleration, scroll wheel motion, chording, and more."

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 12:25pm

Ok..personally, you shouldn't be concerned with people trying to look at images on their cell phone and then limiting the site for that reason.

The site should be focussed on the idea that people  have computers as well as  cell phones and don't do all of their work on their phone.

Even a laptop or iPad would be fast enough.

As for the access speed of the internet.. again I think pretty much every one has normal internet access..which is plenty fast enough..and are not using those old modems for downloading.

If someone on here still uses a modem, then tough for them. It's like holding back everyone in the class for the one person who still can't read.

Seriously, I think I can feel safe saying that almost everyone (90% +) has access to high speed internet.. maybe not T1 but even the basic internet access is high speed enough for this use.

As Spock said: "The needs of the many outway the needs of the few, or the one."

As for the control thingy, I learned something new today. Never knew that so I tried it and it works. Thanks for that.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 1:23pm

Thanks for moving the topic Dave, If I might add a little more.

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 10:52am:
Ed... do you mean that the people who run this site would have to pay a fee?

I am not saying that at all.
I'm saying that every website is different, some charge a subscription fee that allows them, among other things, to have larger storage capacity. Storage might be less expensive than in the recent past but it is not free.

The ONLY sites I know of without size limits are photography sites, for obvious reasons.

Most of today's phones take large file size photos as well. Modern cell phones have the ability to automatically resize photos for transfer via email or text message limitations.

Currently we have a 200kb limit, if we were to raise the limit to 6 or 8 mb (30 to 40 times larger) we would quickly need to acquire more storage space?
Please remember everything is a balance intended to serve all members equally.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 1:57pm

This is only to illustrate how I resize photos for this forum.
This photo was taken a few days ago and I left it intentionally large (viewable size)
When I took the photo and transferred it to my computer, the file size for the original was 8.33 MB.
I used PixResizer ( Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) to reduce the photo down to under the 200KB limit.
After using the software (freeware) the file size of the photo is now down to 140 KB, which is less that 3/4 of the max size allowed.
As I said I left the resolution very large (viewable size) to prove a point. Yes there is some loss of clarity but the picture is large enough to be viewed and small enough (file size) to be easily within the limits

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 3:19am

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 12:25pm:
Ok..personally, you shouldn't be concerned with people trying to look at images on their cell phone and then limiting the site for that reason.

The site should be focussed on the idea that people  have computers as well as  cell phones and don't do all of their work on their phone.

we have to be concerned because more and more people are accessing websites on their cell phones during commutes, vacations, breaks... you are saying we should forget about these people just to please a few who want more size??

If someone on here still uses a modem, then tough for them. It's like holding back everyone in the class for the one person who still can't read.

not even comparable. once again, you want to leave people out just because you want larger picture sizes.

As Spock said: "The needs of the many outway the needs of the few, or the one."

Spock was talking about death, his -vs- the starships destruction.

I am sorry, but, we can not please everyone. we do what we think is best for all, as well as economical for all.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 8:39am

Pixresizer is for Windows only..no surprise there.

Once again, I'm "amazed" at how many times software has been made for Windows only!

Mac is NOT a small start up company, but one of the largest in the business.

I'm not about to switch over to Windows after having a Mac system for over 25 years.

As nothing will change here, I'll just keep on keeping on and work with what we have and eventually, I'll get too old to see the keyboard to type.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 9:57am

This may help for MAC users
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
There are also many freeware MAC programs that are designed to resize photos

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #14 - May 1st, 2019 at 12:05pm

Ok... I'm going to try something:

I went to my Photoshop App and after a but of digging found what might work.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print