Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
question on turning pine (Read 174 times)

Steven Hensley
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

central
question on turning pine
May 5th, 2019 at 6:04pm

Hi
I picked up a pine stump with some roots. I chain sawed the roots off and cut the stump down to just the part the roots came out of. that portion was really hard and the saw wouldn't make it through. I am thinking that it may be hard enough to turn. what do you think. the saw went through the roots and stump like butter, the chain is sharp.
Has anyone used pine I have been practicing on glued up 2x4s I thought the wood around the roots would be good for turning. am i wrong or not.Thank you

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Re: question on turning pine
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2019 at 8:10pm

It might be a rock the roots grew around?

WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2019 at 8:13am

I don't know the answer, but I'm interested because I live in the Pine Tree State (Maine) and there's a lot of free pine roots available (some on my property).   Free is good! Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2019 at 8:14am

My experience is the figured wood at the base of a tree fork is much harder than the surrounding non-figured wood.  By analogy, the center of the root ball might be wood similar to the center of the base of a fork above ground.

Somewhere I seem to recall a mention of pressure washing a root ball before taking a chain saw to it, possibly to remove as much as soil-embedded rock and grit as possible.  And Chris makes a very good point - there could be rock(s) trapped between roots as they increase in diameter.

IP Logged

Steven Hensley
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

central
Reply #4 - May 6th, 2019 at 10:38am

I am sure it is not a rock, It most likly the figured wood.

IP Logged

Dick Bernard

WR Rocks!

Moneta, Virginia, USA
Moneta
Virginia
USA

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2019 at 6:03am

If you are using a chainsaw to cut the roots you are probably going to hit some dirt.  Hitting dirt is very bad for the chain. You can't pull the chainsaw out quick enough. If you hit a rock and/or dirt, the cutting teeth on your chainsaw are dull.

Somebody mentioned pressure washing the roots. This is very helpful just as long as you take time to do a good job. If you leave just one small rock that might be embedded in the root and you hit it with the chain well, back to the sharpening station.

Dick

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2019 at 8:04am

Regarding "glued up 2x4's," for 2x6 is an excellent material for bowl turning practice.  Incredibly inexpensive, easy to find and transport, and sometimes even makes an attractive small bowl.  2x8 and larger is southern yellow pine, which has late season growth much more dense than early season growth.  Still very affordable and easy to find, but a bit more challenging to turn due to the varying density.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2019 at 8:55am

Don Stephan wrote on May 6th, 2019 at 8:14am:
My experience is the figured wood at the base of a tree fork is much harder than the surrounding non-figured wood.

I personally don't have any issues with turning any softwoods like pine, sharp tools and proper technique overcome a lot. The issue with softwoods is usually the sanding. Pine and others usually have large annual rings which vary from soft (early spring growth) to hard (late summer/fall growth). When sanding you need to be careful not to over sand the soft grain. I would suggest always using a sanding pad of some kind

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print