Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bowl Turning 101 Question (Read 690 times)

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Bowl Turning 101 Question
Reply #15 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 3:57pm

John Grace wrote on Jul 1st, 2019 at 2:56pm:
'I start with the piece's side'

I gotta tell you, I was confused. Is there a Queen side, a King side, I didn't know what the heck you were talking about.

IP Logged

Stephen Kuznicki
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

GAYLORD, Michigan, USA
GAYLORD
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #16 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 3:50pm

Some years ago, I read it somewhere, that it was a waste of time and wood to true up the blank then shape it.  Been doing it that way since.  Mounting depends on size of the blank, if its green or dry, or some days, my mood.  Larger green stuff I usually mount with a worm wood screw and go right to shaping.  Once I have the foot area trued up enough I turn the tenon.  Shape the outside, then reverse and either core if big enough, or hollow it out.  This is my method, everyone has their own.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #17 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 10:06am

Stephen, I am trying to figure out what you mean by 'true up the blank then shape it'. When prepping my blanks, the more accurate my cuts are, so the top and bottom are nearly parallel, the easier all the rest of the steps are, like cutting the circle, and drilling a recess with a forstner bit. My chainsaw chopsaw is a great help for that, or my big bandsaw is a bit better. That could be one meaning of 'true up the blank'. Once on the lathe, to 'true it up' I even up the face/bottom of the bowl, true up the outside, and some times true up the top of the bowl, then rough. Days of using a chain sawn blank with the corners cut off are long gone. That did work, and if time was not a matter, then I would still be doing it that way, maybe.....

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #18 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 10:24am

I agree with Reed on this. The better you prepare the blank before you mount it for turning, the easier the roughing out process will be on you and your tools. A simple circle jig for the bandsaw can be very helpful.

I will point out that everyone comes at this from a different perspective
Some turners "true-up" all aspects of the blank before any turning occurs.
Some true, rough and adjust to orient the grain to their liking.
Some come from a production point of view, where the number of pieces can supersede the aesthetics.

Also, truing up the faces and edges of a blank does not guarantee that the blank will be balanced.
Wood is a natural product, there are no rules, only guidelines.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #19 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 6:38pm

When making a bowl "facing the pith" I want the growth ring pattern in the bottom of the bowl to be as centered as possible.  So I don't want a perfectly bandsawn round blank, because that may not center the growth ring pattern.  And I'm not starting with a core or a slab, but one side of the log (minus the pith) so there is a lot of bark to remove.  I'll nip off the four corners with the chain saw to make the job a bit easier, then mount and start truing up all the surfaces.

The growth ring pattern, and sapwood patches, aren't perfectly symmetric in any of these four, but they are close as the tree would allow.

« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2019 at 6:40pm by Don Stephan »  
IP Logged

Stephen Kuznicki
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

GAYLORD, Michigan, USA
GAYLORD
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #20 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 8:14pm

My apologies, my last post wasn't very clear.  What I meant was once on the lathe I don't turn the blank round before starting to shape it. Working with blanks cut from logs, they go straight to the lathe from the chainsaw.  I get them round enough for me.  They're usually varying degrees of green.  Some I've done, I could have used a rain coat.  Those blanks that I'm not really sure on I will mount with a face plate so I can adjust center if needed. If I find something below the bark I want to include or exclude I can do so without wasting much.  My opinion on cutting them round on a band saw, I'm either stuck with that center or I have to sacrifice diameter to move.  Right now I'm working my way through a pile of beautifully figured silver maple  that was given to me.  It was knocked down in a storm.  Most of it is large enough to get 2 cores out of it.  If I couldn't core it, the center would end up as chicken bedding.   Sad

IP Logged

Andrew Abercrombie

Shavin' it easy

Eagan, MN, Minnesota, USA
Eagan, MN
Minnesota
USA

Grizzly G1495
Reply #21 - Jul 20th, 2019 at 9:28pm

Depends on size (faceplate if it’s large, worm screw between centers for a smaller project). I start by rounding, that way I can increase the lathe speed to get better cuts. Then put a recess or tenon for the chuck. Reverse and hollow out. The sand and finish with my own beeswax polish.

A:) Let's take roll call to see if we're all here.
B:) Well now, it could be that we are all here, then some of us aren't all there.
A:) Right, let the record show that we are here.
C:) Who?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print