• Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Shows (Read 1,377 times)

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Re: Shows
Reply #15 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 10:26am

I should have put a smily face after my comments.  Wink My daughter does shows for her monogramming bussiness and I might just put a few items in her booth when she's not looking.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #16 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 10:43am

Actually George, that is a good strategy. Every booth needs some help, if nothing else, just for potty/coffee recycling station and food breaks. You can also see what people are interested in and get feed back. I also always traded for Christmas gifts. You can also get leads on wood...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #17 - Jul 6th, 2019 at 8:32pm

One day shows outside are a lot of work. Drive early in the morning, set up the tent and set up the products, sit all day and take it all down and drive home. The next day you have to unpack it all. I am obligated for a one day show fifty mile drive but this will be the last year.
Shows need to be at least 20,000 attendance.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #18 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 10:11am

Just finished the Oregon Country Fair, my most fun and profitable show ever. The last few years, plates and platters have outsold the shallow and deeper/more standard bowl shapes. This year, the other way around... That's Show Business....

robo hippy

IP Logged

Chris Neilan
WR Addict

OUCH!

Waterford, Connecticut, USA
Waterford
Connecticut
USA

Powermatic 3520
Delta 46-460
Shopsmith 10 ER
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith Mark 7 Powerpro
Reply #19 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 6:51am

How much inventory do you bring to sell?  My wife wants to do some shows (she’s a quilter) and figures we could share a booth or two.... I am dragging my feet because I feel  we would need more turned pieces than I have. I still have a 40 - 60 hour work week to dance around for a few more years.

Delta 46-460: awesome
Powermatic 3520: more awesome!
Shopsmith Mark 7: Wonderful! (But I don't use it as a lathe yet)
Shopsmith Mark V
Shopsmith 10ER

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #20 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 9:07am

Don't necessarily think there is a required minimum to make a good appearance.  Of course, the less you bring the less you can sell, but too many items and customers struggle to make a choice.  Doubtful today that customers are worried that a vendor is well established or will be in business for a number of years.  Etsy and other mail order reduced or eliminated that concern.

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Reply #21 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 9:29am

If you're thinking about sharing a booth with another artist, make sure it's ok with the show organizers.  Most of the shows I go to have a rule of one artist per booth, unless it is collaborative work and must be of the same medium. 

They also recommend you bring enough product to last through the show.  I've only known of one artist (fused glass) who sold out of everything she brought.  She ended up taking orders and asking if she could deliver customers' purchases so she could have items on display.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #22 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 9:58am

I try to bring twice as much as I hope to sell. For the show I just did, sales are usually in the $2500 range, so $5000 worth of bowls would be 170 or so bowls and other stuff. I think I had about 120 bowls and came back with maybe 20.... I figure all of my products average in the $30 range per sale, so lots of $5 to $30 stuff. I generally figure I sell the same $ worth in large and small pieces, so lots more smaller pieces go, but some of the big ones move too. You just never know.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

Reply #23 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 10:35pm

Robo, yup you just can't be totally in the high end. People like thirty dollar area. I make some smalls and sell them well. I have sold a lot of spatulas. Got good at making them and can keep the price down. I've had to discount bowls to sell them. Again around thirty. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #24 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 7:31am

Here's a website geared towards applying to juried shows. Its free to artists

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print