Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hunter carbide tool gloat/question (Read 408 times)

Tony Gomez 2

WR Rocks!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
USA

Hunter carbide tool gloat/question
Jul 6th, 2019 at 3:29pm

Went to an estate sale today and picked up 3 different hunter carbide tools and holders - they seem a little short and they are of the no handle option - my gloat is I picked them up for $15 dollars apiece - a lot of stuff was already sold - and these were passed by a bunch of other woodturners  - I guess my question is - has anybody used these? Do you have a picture of a handle you turned ? I also picked up a Australian brand scraper, a small gouge with no handle , a burnisher , and some dust masks!

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Hunter carbide tool gloat/question
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 10:40am

Tony Gomez 2 wrote on Jul 6th, 2019 at 3:29pm:
picked up 3 different hunter carbide tools and holders

Hunter makes a few different tools, which ones did you get?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Tony Gomez 2

WR Rocks!

Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 5:18pm

[/Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
I got #1 hunter osprey, #2 hunter osprey, #1 Hercules, a couple of P&n tools scraper and small detail gouge - I couldn’t help myself today and went back today and rummaged through the bargain bin and found some more emphemera -I also found a piece of of what I beleieve to be a piece of lignum vitae I. The scrap pile ( it is a very heavy piece of wood)
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2019 at 5:57pm by Tony Gomez 2 »  

IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 6:04pm

Nice find!!

Turnin' and learnin'

WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Tony Gomez 2

WR Rocks!

Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 6:10pm

I am reminded of the fact that I watched the tv show celebrating the anniversary of the discovery of the resting place of the titanic and how they Shouted and jumped for joy - at the discovery - But come to a somber realization that a lot of people had perished me too - somebody passed away and I was buying his stuff dime on a dollar.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 6:43am

Tony Gomez 2 wrote on Jul 7th, 2019 at 6:10pm:
I am reminded of the fact that I watched the tv show celebrating the anniversary of the discovery of the resting place of the titanic and how they Shouted and jumped for joy - at the discovery - But come to a somber realization that a lot of people had perished me too - somebody passed away and I was buying his stuff dime on a dollar.

Your perspective is refreshingly thoughtful in today's climate...still...I'm guessing the previous owner would be glad to see a fellow turner relish in what he found and to see that they'll still see the light of day, or should I say, new wood to turn.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Tony Gomez 2

WR Rocks!

Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 7:15am

My wife knows I love Woodcraft and knows how expensive anything with Woodcraft on the name is - she actually helped me by picking up stuff and pointing them out to me - the one way 24x36 lathe went to another turner - it was out of my financial reach !

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 8:00am

Tony Gomez 2 wrote on Jul 8th, 2019 at 7:15am:
the one way 24x36 lathe went to another turner - it was out of my financial reach !

I know the feeling...three years ago I had an opportunity to upgrade from my NOVA DVR XP to a Vicmarc VL300 for $3k.  I figured I could get at least $1k for my NOVA as it also had the cast iron legs but just couldn't 'justify' the costs even though that would have easily been my 'forever' lathe.  I still think I made the right decision but admittedly there are times when the shoulda, woulda, could-ofs come over me.  Ours is not a cheap hobby and the more experience we get the more we realize 'where' to put our money.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print