I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
question....
Aug 11th, 2019 at 12:33pm

Here's my thinking (never a good thing!!)...

Would a shipping container act like a sort of  "drying kiln"?

I'm planning on getting 2 20' shipping containers, one for the "Stuff" i've been hoarding in a storage place for years and the other for possibly stacking on shelves as much wood blanks and burls and such as it would hold.

The good thing is it would be out of the weather and off the ground but is the bad thing that it might dry the wood out too fast? I'm sure those things get pretty hot inside in the summer.

At the current rate of almost $1,000 a year for a storage space, the container costs $2,600 plus $150 delivery. If I get both at the same time they will wave the delivery fees.

Any thoughts??

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: question....
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 12:42pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Aug 11th, 2019 at 12:33pm:
I'm sure those things get pretty hot inside in the summer.

Yes, they do get extremely hot in the summer.
You can cut vent ports and install fans as well as insulate

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 12:54pm

Would the extreme heat make the wood dry out too fast and split?

The vents and fans would slow it down and move moisture out?

As an aside... my furnace came on in the house last nite!!! It was set to below 60º and the temp outside last nite went down to 51º.
Big difference from a week ago (90º)!!!
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2019 at 12:58pm by Ralph Fahringer »  

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 1:13pm

My plan isn't to KD lumber, but to have a place to store all of my turning stock where I can access it year around. As it is now, it's mostly in a big pile in the yard and not easily accessable in the winter.

I currently have managed to  set up shelves in a shelter... tarp and aluminum frame type thing.  Lots of air circulation for sure.

If I can't use one of these things without alot of reworking on it just to store wood, then it would be better to just get one for my own "stuff".

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 3:59pm

Some containers are pretty air tight, might be good for growing mold (AKA Spalting) on wet wood

Can you leave the door(s) open for air?
Maybe cut a couple of holes for windows?

I have a 20' container behind where I had my business. Among other stuff there's some old furniture from my wife's grandmother stored in there for 8-9 years now, while its not turning stock its in the same condition as when we put it in there.

Its not vented and its hot and dry in there in the summer

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 4:21pm

do you have any shade trees you could put it under? that would help some in the summer.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 5:39pm

You could assume the shipping containers will need insulation, electricity, sensors, and fans to try to avoid extreme heat, and compare the total cost to that of a 40 by 40 outbuilding on a gravel floor with insulation and roof vents.

IP Logged

David Hill

Using all Texas woods
but prefer Mesquite

Cuero, Texas, USA
Cuero
Texas
USA

Nova 1624
Laguna 18/47
Robust American Beauty
Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 9:15pm

Ralph---think you have a good idea and start.
Your summers aren't like mine buuuut--still a concern. With vents, should keep some of the temp down.  Think I'd put some screening over the vent openings--keep the bugs out.
The containers would let your wood dry to whatever the ambient humidity is- provided the temp inside isn't greatly higher that outside---shade would be a plus.
Then thinking ahead, it'd be easy to fumigate the wood to kill pests.
Sam's or Costco have some nice heavy duty shelving for about $160 ish.
I've just recently added a 8 x 40 addition to my shop---my "wood" library.
Just my 0.02

Everyday liberating nice things from ordinary chunks of wood---and I like gnarly wood, the outcome is nearly always better than the start.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #8 - Aug 12th, 2019 at 10:39am

Did a google and found the average temps for KD wood:

Most softwood lumber kilns operate below 115 °C (239 °F) temperature. Hardwood lumber kiln drying schedules typically keep the dry bulb temperature below 80 °C (176 °F). Difficult-to-dry species might not exceed 60 °C (140 °F).

With those in mind, it seems that a container wouldn't go up to 176º in the middle of summer.
Otherwise, how could the scummy human trafficking   people ship humans in them.

Leaving the doors open for air also leaves them open for skunks and such.
Cutting additional vents would help.

The overall cost of the containers is $5,200 for 2 of them and then maybe another $400- $600 or so to cut openings and possibly run elec to them and maybe add fans.
Considerably less than another building!

I HAVE been considering adding an addition to my  shop for a wood "library" as well as possibly a clean room for finishing and such.

Thanks for the comments!! Smiley

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #9 - Aug 12th, 2019 at 10:51am

I know solar kilns can go up to 150 degrees, but they usually have black plastic inside them. There are 'garden' sheds, which around here can be up to 10 by 20 without needing a permit, and they have vents, doors and windows. Electricity would be extra. They go on compacted gravel pads. They also look better than the shipping containers. Probably around the same cost as the shipping containers. They can be moved, but it is kind of a pain. I got one when I started building the new house. Winter was coming and from years of doing construction in the great North Wet, I knew the crew would appreciate it. They had a heater and microwave inside within a week....

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #10 - Aug 12th, 2019 at 2:46pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Aug 12th, 2019 at 10:39am:
The overall cost of the containers is $5,200 for 2 of them and then maybe another $400- $600 or so to cut openings and possibly run elec to them and maybe add fans.

I got mine for the cost of just delivering it, $250-$300. 
Ask around truck repair shops they usually have a lead on where some may be sitting around.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 8:51am

Ron, a good idea except that most businesses don't have the machinery to deliver and drop it exactly where I would want it.  Up here, it's not all that industrialized.
If I did find some really cheap ones, I'd still have to hire people who can move them which brings me back to the first guy.
Where i need them dropped, they can't just back a flatbed up and drop it off.

Plus, if i get 2 then they need to be tight against each other to minimize critters and/or leaves and such in between.
Would hope to weld a plate at each end to close it off. Not sure if that is possible but...

These guys have a motorized Mule" and wheels set onto the back end and can sort of drive it right into the place where I want it set.

.. plus according to them, their containers are almost new instead of laying around for years.

Rather have ones that aren't all rusted up.. even tho the neighbors aren't near enough to complain, it would be nice to have it not look like a junk yard.

Am still looking for a cheaper price but the next place that sells them is almost 90 miles away so their delivery charge would be rather large.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #12 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 6:10pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Aug 13th, 2019 at 8:51am:
Ron, a good idea except that most businesses don't have the machinery to deliver and drop it exactly where I would want it.  Up here, it's not all that industrialized.

I had a body shop that has a Roll Back truck deliver it

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Aug 13th, 2019 at 8:51am:
Rather have ones that aren't all rusted up.. even tho the neighbors aren't near enough to complain, it would be nice to have it not look like a junk yard.

Consider checking with your zoning office to see if you need a permit.

IP Logged

Mike Mills
WR Addict

Reply #13 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 7:51pm

They will get very hot in the summer.  Most folks locally install the self operating crawl space vents for homes.  I would put at least two at the bottom and two at the top (four would be better).  IIRC they run about $20.  You should be able to cut out the holes with an angle grinder with a cutting blade (disc).
I had a small business for about 20 years selling and mostly leasing the containers.  Retired and sold out about 1.5 years ago.
If you have room for 40's they are typically not a lot more.  May be able to pick up a 40' reefer for under $3000 but I do not know that market area.  They are very well insulated and usually aluminum exterior so no rust ever.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print