Send Topic Print
Segmented Pen Blank (Read 276 times)

Dale Dansie
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Jet and Shopsmith
Segmented Pen Blank
Oct 9th, 2019 at 9:15pm

I'm hoping someone can help me with my issue (not mental  Wink).  I have cut a blank at 30 degrees, then glued with CA a thin veneer, then glued the piece I cut off.  I went to drill it and it came apart.  Someone told me to use Titebond, tried that, no luck.  What am I doing wrong?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Re: Segmented Pen Blank
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 6:52am

A couple of things to consider: first, you are likely gluing end grain to both sides of the veneer. Whatever glue you use will be sucked into the end grain of the blank, leaving little at the actual joint. If using titebond, spread a thin layer on the end of the blank, let it soak in/dry, then add a "second coat" and glue to the veneer. Second, a CA joint is inherently brittle. If you want to use CA for the joint, drill cautiously. The twisting action on the blank can easily cause the CA joint to simply crack apart. I've found the best adhesive for this type of joint to be epoxy.

How are you holding your blank to drill it? If you are simply holding the end in a vice or a chuck, you are subjecting the joints to a lot of twisting action. Try to support the joint while drilling.  Keep your speed down and avoid heat.

Whatever glue you decide to use, give it much more time to dry than the label recommends. Over night for any of them is really the way to go.
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2019 at 6:53am by Grant Wilkinson »  

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Dale Dansie
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Jet and Shopsmith
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 2:53pm

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I am gluing end-grain.  I never thought about that.  On my last one that I glued and tried I was hand drilling when it fell apart.

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 9:24am

Dale: If you can drill straight through a 5" or so pen blank by hand, you are definitely a better man than I am.   Smiley

Seriously, if you are drilling by hand, you are putting all kinds of forces on that unsupported joint. I would stay away from CA. If you stay with titebond, try the "pre-wetting" process to get some glue soaked into the end grain of the cut ends of the blank - the more porous the wood, the more you need to slather on. Otherwise, epoxy is your friend.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 6:59pm

Couldn't tell from your description whether you tried Titebond on a different set of pieces or the one that came apart with CA glue on the surfaces.  If the latter, clean off all the dried glue and either try Titebond again or try epoxy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print