Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
shop air conditioning on the inexpensive (Read 61 times)

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
shop air conditioning on the inexpensive
Oct 10th, 2019 at 6:09pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2019 at 6:09pm by David Hamann »  

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Re: shop air conditioning on the inexpensive
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 6:59pm

It seems that what's also happening is that the hot air in the garage is being transferred to the water in the coils which warms the water in the cooler, thus melting the ice.  The water temperature in the cooler quickly becomes room temperature and the only "cooling" which takes place is the wind chill from the fan; which is what you would have anyway without all the plumbing.   With the plumbing, the coils actually impede the air flow and reduce the amount of air you're getting from the fan.

How's my amateur science holding up?   Amirite?  Shocked
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2019 at 7:04pm by Robert Fischer »  

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 10:06am

Having been stationed at fort sill okla. back in the 50s, all we had in the buildings were evaporative coolers which is basically just dribbling water down the front of a fan. They worked great in the dry climate. Won't work where its humid. Didn't need all the tubing in front of the fan.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 10:27am

When I was a boy, I can remember my Aunt had a small box type fan, probably about 12"-14". It was designed with tubes and a reservoir on top. You used to get a tray of ice, crack it open and put the cubes in the top. There was a drip/drain tray at the bottom if needed. This was in the early 70's.

I have made one of the "fan over a bucket" type of coolers. I used an old Coleman cooler, (without modification), a small fan, two 4" elbows and a piece of OSB. I use reusable freezer packs instead of ice, it works easier for me. I only need to use it a few times a year but it does a good job of cooling me down when necessary.
I will have to post photos.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print