ALLAN KUNTZ

WR Rocks!

gull lake, Saskatchewan, Canada
gull lake
Saskatchewan
Canada

looking for a tutorial
Oct 19th, 2019 at 3:36pm

I am wondering if someone can help me find a YouTube video or ant tutorial. I saw somewhere where a person turned a segmented bowl and the cut it in half turned the two pieces and glued the back together to form an elongated bowl
Thanks
Al

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: looking for a tutorial
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 11:55am

Allan, I looked and couldn't find any tutorials only some photos.

They really are quite simple to do but you must make sure your design will lend itself to being cut and opened. One difficult aspect can be the feet. Some styles have the feet incorporated into the turning which  requires some cutting/carving after the piece is opened and glued into final shape. A stand is a much easier alternative.

Another thing to consider is that after the piece is turned and opened, you may need to remove a layer (half ring) from one of the pieces only. This will allow the pattern to continue with alternating segments when assembled into the final shape.

I would suggest that you build a sled or some type of cradle for the bandsaw to cut the vessel after turning.

This is a good one for inspiration (2/3 down the page) IMO
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print