Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
What shapes your work?
Oct 22nd, 2019 at 9:22am

Everyone either has or is in the process of developing their own style of work. This is very much an individual thing.

My question is, now that you know what you like and have you own individual style, how do you refine your work? How do you make your work better?
Examples of methods
Do you experiment with alternate techniques?
Do you try different wood species?
Do you take classes?
Do you have peers critique your work?
Do you rely on sales to determine if a change is needed?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Re: What shapes your work?
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 9:37am

Pretty much all of those (except for classes, no clubs within a reasonable distance).  I watch what buyers and potential buyers pick up.  I have a few bowls that I call "wingman bowls"  They are rarely picked up, looked at but they make the others look good.    I also use my wife's opinion.    I watch a few turners as well as other artists on YouTube for ideas.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 10:11am

Thanks Bill,
There are many more items that I didn't put on the list but it sounds like you cover a pretty wide range.
I purposely didn't put spouses, and/or family on the list because they can't always be trusted to give an honest critique."It looks great honey", doesn't get you anywhere in terms of furthering your craft.
As always, there are exceptions.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 11:10am

Funny thing over the years of selling bowls, one person comes in and buys a shallower bowl for salads because "you can toss a salad in a shallow bowl better". The next person comes in and buys a deeper bowl because "you can toss a salad better in a deeper bowl". Me, I don't toss my salads because all the good stuff falls to the bottom.... Size and shape is more determined by the piece of wood than anything else. I take a log section and get the most efficient use of the wood I can from it. Some times platters/plates, some times slightly deeper 'meal' bowls, some times rice bowls. For shapes, I prefer plain and simple. You never know what will sell from one show to the next, and even at the same show year after year....

robo hippy

IP Logged

Dick Bernard

WR Rocks!

Moneta, Virginia, USA
Moneta
Virginia
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 4:40am

Well Ed, I'm not in the same league as many of the wood turners on this forum. The shape of my work comes from where my tool takes me. I'll start off with a shape or size in mind, but more often than not, the tool that I'm using has something else in mind.

I'm getting better, just need to spend more time practicing.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 8:24am

Dick Bernard wrote on Oct 23rd, 2019 at 4:40am:
The shape of my work comes from where my tool takes me. I'll start off with a shape or size in mind, but more often than not, the tool that I'm using has something else in mind.

With a bit more experience and control of your tools, I think you'll find that you might have a shape in mind and then it will be the wood that decides what shape it wants to be.  Grin

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 10:53am

Dick, I got a good chuckle out of your comment. Been there, done that, more times than I can remember.... The wood, and tools do seem to have a mind of their own some times....

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 11:38am

robo_hippy wrote on Oct 23rd, 2019 at 10:53am:
Dick, I got a good chuckle out of your comment. Been there, done that, more times than I can remember.... The wood, and tools do seem to have a mind of their own some times....

robo hippy

To me it's like Mother Nature, you can't fight it, you can only do [i]what the forces will let you do.  Cheesy I've come to understand that more often than not, the wood doesn't care about what my plans are.  Undecided Grin

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 9:25am

Ed wrote:  I purposely didn't put spouses, and/or family on the list because they can't always be trusted to give an honest critique."It looks great honey", doesn't get you anywhere in terms of furthering your craft.

Totally agree, but with my wife I can read between what she's saying  "That's interesting" means 'I don't really like it" (usually an artistic piece cause she prefers round and brown).  She's spot on with rolling pins with shape and heft.
But then there will be times like yesterday when I brought up a large walnut crotch bowl with a natural edge (no bark).  She said "that's interesting"  (closer look at the feathering) "Oh that's pretty" (steps back)  "I think I really kind of like this one." Cheesy
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2019 at 9:26am by Bill Neff »  

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 10:26am

The difference with wives is that if a piece of woodturning is going to be given as a gift to someone, my wife will have definite and clearly stated opinions. Smiley    I'm thinking of that because I'm working on Christmas presents for family and friends now.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 11:40am

Bill Neff wrote on Oct 24th, 2019 at 9:25am:
Totally agree, but with my wife I can read between what she's saying  "That's interesting" means 'I don't really like it" (usually an artistic piece cause she prefers round and brown).  She's spot on with rolling pins with shape and heft.
But then there will be times like yesterday when I brought up a large walnut crotch bowl with a natural edge (no bark).  She said "that's interesting"  (closer look at the feathering) "Oh that's pretty" (steps back)  "I think I really kind of like this one."

Other trigger phrases are;
Is that finished?
Who's that for?
Is it supposed to look like that?

Know the signs

This has been a public service announcement

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 12:08pm

Yet another good reason to not be married!! Smiley

My first and second piece, I got that "WOW!! THAT'S REALLY GREAT!!!" from a friend of mine.

Quickly realized that she was saying that because she had no point of reference...and tho they weren't hideous, they weren't very good, either. Roll Eyes

Now, I show them to her and then ignore her comments. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 12:31pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Oct 24th, 2019 at 12:08pm:
Quickly realized that she was saying that because she had no point of reference...and tho they weren't hideous, they weren't very good, either.

BINGO

IP Logged

Jenny Trice
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

St. Paul, MN, Minnesota, USA
St. Paul, MN
Minnesota
USA

Reply #13 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 5:31pm

I'm always looking for unique ideas to try new things.  I usually have an idea that I am going to make a box, bowl or hollow form, etc. but the actual shape is whatever the wood wants to be.  I am looking forward to being able to dabble even more when I have more time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print