Linden
Michigan
USA

CONOVER 15 x Infinity
NOVA Comet 10 x 16
Delta 1440 (converted to VSR)
A "thread" for casting
Oct 31st, 2019 at 3:42pm

I have been doing long-arm quilting for SWMBO for 16 yrs and now have a box of thread clippings which I would like to capture in resin. They make a firm brick about 12"x 3"x 4". Can I make a ply box and pour? This is a one off so vacuum or pressure are not cost effective. The threads should saturate but any ideas on air bubbles, etc.? I only get one go so am feeling very cautious.

There are psychopaths and sociopaths - I'm a neuropath.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Glenn Roberts

WR Rocks!

Walworth, NY, New York, USA
Walworth, NY
New York
USA

Re: A "thread" for casting
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 6:26am

Dave, not being as talented as most here, I practice as much as possible before tackling the "no turning back (!)" project. For instance, is it possible to cast other thread scraps to practice getting the bubbles out trapped by the threads? Maybe by vibration, heat, stirring technique, vacuum, etc.

The older I get, the better I was........
IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 8:37am

I've not cast thread, but I have cast hair, feathers, shredded currency, and other filament-type products. I don't think there is any way to get a bubble-free blank with these types of materials without pressure. I've used alumilite mostly, but also crystal clear and a couple of others whose names I forget. Because of all the small trapped air spaces in filament blanks, they all bubble without pressure.

What are you going to do with the blank? A blank that size brings with it many issues that smaller blanks do not. If you plan to cut it into smaller blanks, it may be wiser pour it smaller to begin with.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 10:49am

Just throwing this out there....

What if  you put them into enough resin to allow you to smoosh them in your hands..with latex gloves on, of course...

and maybe squeezing them like that, you can get most all of the bubbles out and then pour some resin into your molding box and  then push the goopy clump of threads in and fill it up till they are covered.

No idea at all if that would work but, as I said... just a thought. Smiley

Also, personally, I'd go more for a block that isn't as long but thicker overall... more like 6x6x6.. more as a bowl blank.

..or a vase if a bit longer, say 8" long by 5x5.

There. 2˘ more worth of ideas.

Which brings me to this.. at 12x3x4, what did you envision making?
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2019 at 10:50am by Ralph Fahringer »  

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

David Moeller

Old chiseler

Linden, Michigan, USA
Linden
Michigan
USA

CONOVER 15 x Infinity
NOVA Comet 10 x 16
Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 12:26pm

I' no hurry to do this. Probably this winter. I love it when great minds meld.
Grant: Don't know why I wanted to cast all when I figured on ripping into handles. Which brings me to:
Glenn: A test piece which, if it successful, will be workable size with less volume to trap air.
Ralph: Smaller manageable unit allows more control and more ability to smush n goo (technical term) the air out,tap,vibrate...
   I was also only thinking of a saturated thread solid. I'm now considering a clear block w/threads running thru. How bout 1 1/2 sq x 12" with thread density shift end to end?
Thanx guys - MOE

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 1:44pm

Handles, I can see. Smiley

I also  like the idea of clear with threads running thru.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ron Carrabotta

WR Rocks!

Dawsonville, ga, Georgia, USA
Dawsonville, ga
Georgia
USA

Jet 1014 VS
Jet 1642 -2EVS
Powermatic 3520B
Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 6:09pm

David,

I've done a bit of casting & working with various projects using fiberglass, which is essentially what you are trying to accomplish.
I agree with Grant I'm not sure how successful you will be without a pressure/vacuum pot.

When working with fiberglass resin/cloth on the 6 kayaks that  we built the resin is impregnated into the cloth with a squeegee , you don't have that option.

The 'Mix the resin & smoosh the thread into a ball/log" may have some merit. Don't try to be too vigorous,  it will just increase the bubbles. Again be sure to use glove.

If you use epoxy resin, you can build up thin layers. Epoxy layers should be done while the epoxy is still a bit "tacky", if you let it cure totally their may be some blush that will cause delaminating I tried using Alumilite in layers and was singularly unsuccessful!

If you decide to go with Alumilite, be sure to check the working times. Some of their products have VERY SHORT working times.

Heat from a hair dryer blowing over the mold while the resin is curing MAY help with the inevitable bubbles.

Did I mention a pressure pot would be a better way to go?  Roll Eyes

Since this MAY be  one of project, do you belong to a AAW Club? If you do, perhaps one of the members would be willing to lend you his pressure pot. I know I lent mine out severl times.

Good luck.  Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2019 at 6:13pm by Ron Carrabotta »  

It is easier to be forgiven than to get permission!

IP Logged

David Moeller

Old chiseler

Linden, Michigan, USA
Linden
Michigan
USA

CONOVER 15 x Infinity
NOVA Comet 10 x 16
Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 9:09pm

A very old woman died. While trying to clear out everything she had accumulated they came upon a box marked "String too short to save."
Trying to find a way to use the pretty thread. Thanks for the info. It helped me decide if casting was practical for me. Without a specific project I will probably back-burner it for a while.
I did start using up all those wood pieces I was saving for something special. Might as well. I discovered that unlike money, wood grows on trees.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print