Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carbide cutting tool question (Read 186 times)

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Carbide cutting tool question
Nov 6th, 2019 at 10:05am

A question for you guys that do use carbide tools. Is it easier to use a square shank tool that lays flat on the tool rest or a round shank that to me would tend to tip??
thanks in advance, Geo.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Re: Carbide cutting tool question
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 11:03am

Square shank is more for peeling and scraping type cuts. With the round shanks, they are made so you can go to a shear/slicing angle for cleaner cuts, especially in bowl grain orientation.

robo hippy

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 11:24am

If i,m cutting into an endgrain situation  like in a salt box bottom, would you go with the round shank? I want to purchase just one carbide tool to try this compared to the hss gouge that i'm using now. Really hard to cut an end grain bottom in this IPE wood.

IP Logged

Don R Davis

WR Rocks!

Jet 12-21 lathe which is a nice upgrade from my spindle lathe.
Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 10:03pm

I have the square shaft tools and I tilt the tools on purpose to get a shear cut. I have also attached a small level on the shaft to help keep the tool level. I don't know why I can't keep it level but I do.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Steve Kniffen

WR Rocks!

Clyde, Texas, USA
Clyde
Texas
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2019 at 9:24pm

I have the EasyWood Rougher and Finisher and both are square stock.  I tilted them for years and that worked fine.  On a pen turning forum, I heard about a carbide tool called the Magical Skew.  I researched it and decided I wanted to try one.  The bottom of the took is not flat, it is 30 degrees off flat on each side, making the bottom 120 degrees.  This gives 2 flat surfaces to work from that enables you to present the tool like a skew instead of a scraper.  I'm very happy with it.  I get smoother cuts from it than I do my skew.  I use it like a skew, though rather than like a bowl gouge. 

I use my Easy Rougher and Finisher - in addition to other tools when doing bowls  I can't see this tool for bowl turning.

Here's a link.  This is for the short handle model.  It also comes with a lnger handle which I ordered.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
kage_medium_handle

Steve

Experience is what teaches us that we've made this mistake before ...

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 6:21pm

Steve Kniffen wrote on Nov 8th, 2019 at 9:24pm:
On a pen turning forum, I heard about a carbide tool called the Magical Skew. 

Not sure when this tool became available but I've often wondered who was going to be the first to knock of the bottom corners on a square shafted carbide scraper.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print