Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My daughters Christmas present. (Read 268 times)

Don R Davis

WR Rocks!

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
USA

Jet 12-21 lathe. I now have a Powermatic 3520 as of 9/12/20.
My daughters Christmas present.
Dec 19th, 2019 at 1:39pm

Four salad bowls that have 12 pieces per ring and the salad server have 24 pieces per ring. It took a while to make them but I am happy the way they came out. The small bowls are made of walnut and hard maple. The big bowl is made of Patagonia Rosewood and hard maple. Thes Patagonia Rosewood sure is a pretty wood. It's about the prettiest wood I have worked with. I bought a little at Woodcraft last year when they had it on sale. I would appreciate it if you guys would tell me how I could have improved on these bowls. Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Re: My daughters Christmas present.
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2019 at 9:58am

Don: I would have used more segments per ring for the salad bowls. Also, I would have made them a bit shallower for their diameter.

All that said, this is my opinion and my taste only. I'm sure that your daughter will love them for their looks and functionality, but mostly because you made them.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2019 at 11:00am

Don, I think these are very nice and anyone would like them as a gift.
There is room for some refinement on the small bowls but IMO the foundation is certainly there.

My main area of critique would be the transition area on the small bowls.
It looks to me like you didn't leave yourself enough material and as a result the inside suffered. I should not be seeing facets or straight lines in this transition area.
In the last photo, the bottom most bowl (transition area) looks the best.

As a practice for this, I would suggest mounting the base with only one ring and turning the inside and out to final size, leaving yourself basically a saucer.
This will leave you a good reference piece showing just how much material is needed for the first or bottom ring. This ring typically needs to be 50% or more thicker than the segments needed for the sides.

IP Logged

Rob Grindler

kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
kelowna
British Columbia
Canada

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2019 at 4:28pm

Very nice and I also like your Patagonia wood but have never had the opportunity to have some to use.
I have always been afraid to offer someone a segmented bowl to be used for salads, afraid the wet salad dressing would maybe affect the joints. Is that an issue to be worried about?

IP Logged

Don R Davis

WR Rocks!

Murfreesboro
Tennessee
USA

Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2019 at 7:49pm

Rob, I don't think it would affect the joints because I sprayed several coats of satin lacquer which should seal it. I also let it cure for two weeks or so.

IP Logged

Don R Davis

WR Rocks!

Murfreesboro
Tennessee
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 20th, 2019 at 8:00pm

Grant Wilkinson wrote on Dec 20th, 2019 at 9:58am:
Don: I would have used more segments per ring for the salad bowls. Also, I would have made them a bit shallower for their diameter.

All that said, this is my opinion and my taste only. I'm sure that your daughter will love them for their looks and functionality, but mostly because you made them.

Thanks, Grant, for your opinion and I appreciate it. The maple is 3/4" thick and the walnut is 1/4" thick. Maybe I should have made the maple 5/8" thick. The small bowls were 12 pieces per ring and the big bowl is 24 pieces per ring. I can see where more pieces per ring in the small bowls would look better.

IP Logged

Don R Davis

WR Rocks!

Murfreesboro
Tennessee
USA

Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2019 at 8:09pm

Ed Weber wrote on Dec 20th, 2019 at 11:00am:
Don, I think these are very nice and anyone would like them as a gift.
There is room for some refinement on the small bowls but IMO the foundation is certainly there.

My main area of critique would be the transition area on the small bowls.
It looks to me like you didn't leave yourself enough material and as a result the inside suffered. I should not be seeing facets or straight lines in this transition area.
In the last photo, the bottom most bowl (transition area) looks the best.

As a practice for this, I would suggest mounting the base with only one ring and turning the inside and out to final size, leaving yourself basically a saucer.
This will leave you a good reference piece showing just how much material is needed for the first or bottom ring. This ring typically needs to be 50% or more thicker than the segments needed for the sides.

Ed, I noticed what you are talking about but I really didn't know what to do about it. I am finding out that there is more to making bowls than I thought. Thanks for your help and opinion, they are always welcome.

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2019 at 9:58am

Don: It's all a matter of taste and each of us has a different look we are going for. I tend to like smaller segments and thinner rings on small pieces. Somehow, they just look more "round". It doesn't make me "right".

For salad bowls, I like a shape that is shallower and a bit bigger in diameter than many like. I just find it easier to eat from. Again, though, that's just my taste.

In the end, you made something for your daughter for Christmas, rather than buying Chinese made on Amazon. That's the important thing in this discussion.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #8 - Dec 21st, 2019 at 12:20pm

Design, JMO

The serving bowl (large one) looks good. The number of segments seems to be a good balance between too few, which can become blocky looking and too many, which can look like more of a texture and lose the look of the segments.

The smaller bowl segments could be smaller but not the same in number as the serving bowl. The usual tendency is to try and match the larger bowl, at least to a certain degree. This could be shape, species, overall pattern or segment proportion.

With bowls of this size, (6"-8") 24 segments can sometimes look too busy or as I said above, take on more of a textured look, losing the differentiation of the individual segments. (on some pieces this may be desired)
Using a segment calculator, you can figure out how long a segment will be, this can serve as a guide for the proportion of bowl size to segment length.
All that being said, 16 segments per ring may have been the sweet spot on the small bowls.
This is all nit picking
I still think they're very nice, I'm just giving a little food for thought for the next set we want to see.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print