WR Addict

WR Rocks!

St. Paul, MN, Minnesota, USA
St. Paul, MN
Minnesota
USA

ring press
Mar 1st, 2020 at 10:37am

I have glued up a bunch of segmented rings to make beads of courage boxes.  I am debating what to use as a 'press' to glue them up.  I'm a weekend woodworker and my garage/shop is cold if I'm not working out there so long gluing processes are difficult.  What would be the best way to glue up the rings?  I see others using the lathe, drill presses, home made presses and just weights.  I suppose a few clamps would be an option too.  What do you think would work best for me?  Also, the boxes are around 6 inches in diameter and about 5 inches high.  Should I turn the inside as I go?  I think I can reach into a box of this size to do the turning after they are all glued up but I haven't made one before so I'm looking for some advice.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: ring press
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2020 at 11:26am

If the faces of all the rings are flat and smooth, glue up as many as you feel comfortable with.
Rings can tend to slide around when being glued causing misalignment so you do need to be careful.
It only takes about an hour or so for standard PVA (titebond) type glues, to set enough to be handled. If you have any type of small clamp, you can clamp the rings up in pairs, then in groups of four or add one ring at a time. Once done let the whole piece cure overnight.

If you do want to turn the inside a ring at a time or at least rough it out. I would glue a ring, wait 2 hours the round out the inside by plunging a parting tool straight in to round the inside wall. Trying to rough out using a bowl gouge or anything else coming from the inside is too rough and adds unnecessary vibration and stress to the glue joints (and the turner).
You don't need to make a ring press, especially if this isn't something you plan on doing very often.

If you do build a press, make sure it's equal to the capacity of you lathe.

There are lots of ways to go about it, I'm sure others will add some more.
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2020 at 11:29am by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2020 at 7:47am

I made a press with 4 @ 2x6s and a piano stool acme rod mechanism. It works a treat.

As Ed mentioned, sliding is an issue. I hot glue Popsicle stick pieces to the larger ring, holding the smaller ring centered on it. I do this dry fit, then slather on the glue and put the smaller ring back into the "frame" made by the sticks. The sticks turn off or pop off easily later.

I got all this from Denny Edwards. Check out his website and videos for great ideas on various segmented and ring ideas.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Terry Louis

WR Rocks!

Pacifica, California, USA
Pacifica
California
USA

Nova DVR XP
Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 10:29pm

I have had some success with 2 pieces of 3/4" pre finished plywood or plexiglass (easy to clean) with a 5/8" hole in the middle. Then I have a threaded rod that goes though the whole thing and squeeze the rings together. As for sliding, I dry fit the rings mark them and ca glue little blocks were i can. separate the rings add the glue a restak in the same place. knock o wood it has worked well for me...pardon the pun

IP Logged

Don R Davis

WR Rocks!

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
USA

Jet 12-21 lathe. I now have a Powermatic 3520B as of 9/12/20.
Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2020 at 8:10am

Jenny, I use a little table salt to keep the parts from sliding. It works pretty good just don't go overboard with the salt. I have not been clamping any of my segments, I put glue on them and rub the two pieces together until they begin to get sticky. I have also started using Titebond Quick and Thick glue. It tacs up fast and doesn't run. It stays where you put it. Try a small bottle and see if you like it.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Robert Evans

WR Rocks!

HOSCHTON, Georgia
HOSCHTON
Georgia

Grizzly G0766
Rockwell Delta 46-111  (retired to buffing duties)
Reply #5 - May 14th, 2020 at 12:45pm

I built a ring clamp that will handle rings up to 12".  The base is 3/4" MDF with a 1/2" carriage bolt up through the middle.  Aligning the rings is still up to you but the clamp will put plenty of uniform pressure while the glue drys.  I haven't clamped more than 3 rings at a time yet.  Once clamped, you can pick up the whole assembly and move it out of the way and work on something else. 

IP Logged

Todd Oleson

WR Rocks!

Patterson, California, USA
Patterson
California
USA

Jet 16/42
Turning bowls & boxes
Reply #6 - May 14th, 2020 at 6:01pm

Nice job great idea.

IP Logged

Sam Force

WR Rocks!

Mt Zion, Illinois, USA
Mt Zion
Illinois
USA

PM 3520B, Nova Comet II, Older Delta
Reply #7 - May 14th, 2020 at 7:44pm

I do not see a need to wait 2 hours after gluing rings together before turning. I wait 45 minutes most of the time but if I have a lot of rings to stack I have turned after just 30 minutes. I use multiple ways of gluing, from using the lathe, drill press, clamps or weight. Or a homemade press. Never had a problem of rings not holding using titebond 11, I do make sure my rings are FLAT, if not flat you are asking for issues

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print