WR Rocks!

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Minneapolis
Minnesota
USA

Jet 1642 extended to 60 inches
Hi from Mn.
Apr 4th, 2020 at 1:28pm

Recently joined this forum.  I've been woodworking for over 50 yrs starting in school.  For the last 30+ years I've have a furniture restoration/repair business in addition to my day job.  I did work for several refinishing shops when either they didn't have the equipment, personnel or talent to fix something, I've made a lot of furniture parts including spindles, legs and other round parts on the lathe over the years.  Most of the furniture items I've worked on was at least 50 years old or more with the oldest being from the 17th century. 
I've retired now and looking forward to doing some of those things I've wanted to do for myself but never seemed to have time for in the past.  Looking to see what I've missed over the years and hadn't thought about.  I've got a 16"x60" vsr lathe that I've had for a few years along with numerous accessories, so I'm looking forward to having some fun with it finally.
Paul 
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2020 at 1:30pm by Paul Haus »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Re: Hi from Mn.
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 2:16pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register  There are a lot of good tips here, but with your experience I'm certain that you can contribute some as well.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2020 at 4:29pm by Robert Fischer »  

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 3:45pm

Welcome to the forum Paul, make yourself at home

IP Logged

Jenny Trice
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

St. Paul, MN, Minnesota, USA
St. Paul, MN
Minnesota
USA

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2020 at 5:22pm

Welcome!  You might consider joining the Minnesota Woodturners Association.  We have a terrific local club that meets monthly (when were not quarentined), has 2-4 pro demos a year and holds classes on may topics.  Good people with a wealth of experience!  Hope to see you there when we are able to meet again.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Paul Haus

WR Rocks!

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Minneapolis
Minnesota
USA

Jet 1642 extended to 60 inches
Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2020 at 6:02am

Thanks for the welcome.  I'm one of those guys that "can't leave well enough alone" per my wife.  I'm looking to expand the things i work on including lathe work.  I consider myself proficient in using things like table saw, shaper, bandsaw etc. but I've been stuck doing spindle turnings for the most part making replacement furniture parts for a long time.  There's only so many table and chair legs and spindles you can make and not get bored.  I'm looking to see what I can add to the mix now that i have time and hope to get some inspiration here.
If asked how to make a furniture part, I likely can tell you but when it comes to things like bowls and vases, not so much.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2020 at 8:44pm

Welcome Paul
Hope to see and hear of what you are doing.  if you are ever close to Council Bluffs, Ia. Stop in and say Hi.

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print