Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can you get by with one chuck? (Read 458 times)

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Re: Can you get by with one chuck?
Reply #30 - May 21st, 2020 at 7:44am

Needless to say...I for one cannot 'get by' with just one chuck, other results may vary.   Grin

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #31 - May 21st, 2020 at 8:03am

To the OP, I assumed that the question was rhetorical. It would appear that I don't have the same tool budget as most of the others who have posted. I simply cannot afford to have several chucks, each with several sets of jaws. That said, I turn for a hobby. I suppose that, if I was selling work, I would use some of the profits for the convenience of having more than one chuck. I do have more than one gouge, after all.

I have not re-read the original post, but I don't recall the OP saying if he turned for fun or profit - or both. I would think that may colour the replies somewhat.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #32 - May 21st, 2020 at 1:49pm

Grant Wilkinson wrote on May 21st, 2020 at 8:03am:
I have not re-read the original post, but I don't recall the OP saying if he turned for fun or profit - or both. I would think that may colour the replies somewhat.

Couldn't agree more Grant.  Turning is my hobby but it quickly became apparent that it was an expensive hobby while also producing way too many pieces that I could give the wife and/or friends and relatives.  I attend my local farmer's market annually where I sell most or most of my pieces once a year.  That money goes into funding my hobby to the extent possible.  Is it a one for one?  Probably not...but as I tell the wife, I don't drink, smoke, or go to strip clubs.  If this is my one vice then she's fine with it.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #33 - May 21st, 2020 at 7:06pm

John Grace asked, paraphrased, "What does the inside profile of the Vicmarc jaws look like?"

The Vicmarc jaw is shaped like a true half dovetail - the outside is vertical and the angled inside is also a straight surface, so the entire inside surface of the jaw is making contact with the tenon.  The top inside edge is sharp.  The inside of my Nova jaws is not straight - it bulges out near the top and the inside top edge is chamfered.  There would seem to be less contact area as a result.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #34 - May 21st, 2020 at 7:58pm

The main difference is that with the Vicmarc you have a more secure mechanical connection due to the profile.
The Nova design is 'supposed to crush the wood fibers not cut them and that's why there is only a subtle "dovetail" profile.
The Vicmarc jaws have a traditional Dovetail profile as Don mentioned.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print