Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can you get by with one chuck? (Read 939 times)

John Hicks
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

shingletown, California, USA
shingletown
California
USA

Harvey T60-S
Can you get by with one chuck?
Apr 24th, 2020 at 11:37am

I only have two, but how many only have one chuck with multiple jaws? Why did you choose the one you have?

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Can you get by with one chuck?
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 12:06pm

Quite  a lot has to do with each persons method of work. How and what you mount/turn are typically the deciding factors.
I frequently mount a second chuck in the tailstock live center when making pieces, aligning rings and so forth.
I'm sure I could get the same results another way but it would be more difficult and time/material consuming. IMO.
I originally chose Nova for the price/availability.
I prefer Vicmarc for the quality

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 12:53pm

Nope, and not just because I have 4 lathes.... I also prefer the Vicmarc because of over all quality and they are very heavy duty. I use 3 different sets of jaws, the smaller ones, the, I think medium ones (recess is 2 5/8 inch), and one set of the extended pin jaws. I have 2 sets of 'step' jaws and they sit in a drawer since they work best on the largest diameter, and poorly in the smaller diameters, mostly access to the very bottom.

I haven't tried the quick change chucks, though I probably should some day. From what I have heard, they still have some bugs to work out.

For production work, you don't have time to swap out jaw sets. I did take an allen wrench for the chuck screws and cut it 1 1/2 inch long and put it in my screw gun. It is faster than doing it by hand. Make sure to not set the clutch to highest torque as you can over tighten them.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 1:16pm

Your decision on what brand of chuck and how many is largely a  financial decision.  If you only turn a couple of hours a week, I think any of chucks will do a good job for you.  If you do a lot of turning and want the best then get vicmarc chucks.  I have 2 and a half dozen novas.  You find some that like the one way chucks.  It is your money.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 5:29pm

After changing jaws the third or fourth time on my only chuck at that time I made the decision to have one chuck for each set of jaws. For whatever reason I do not know but I have no patience for the time it takes to change jaws.

IP Logged

Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Nova DVR XP
Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 5:35pm

Robert Hayward wrote on Apr 24th, 2020 at 5:29pm:
After changing jaws the third or fourth time on my only chuck at that time I made the decision to have one chuck for each set of jaws. For whatever reason I do not know but I have no patience for the time it takes to change jaws.

Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Paul Haus

WR Rocks!

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Minneapolis
Minnesota
USA

Jet 1642 extended to 60 inches
Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 6:34pm

I only have 1 mainly because I only did a few rosettes etc. for customers till I retired.  I only did faceplate and chuck turnings when the situation dictated it.
I bought a Grizzly brand for price and little expected use and it's worked out for me.

IP Logged

Joe Penn

WR Rocks!

Hull, Georgia, USA
Hull
Georgia
USA

PM 2014
Reply #7 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 7:23pm

I have a Nova I bought and used for a while. The I took a class and used a Vicmarc. I couldn’t believe the difference in quality, so I bought a Vicmarc.

I bought a Oneway second hand and I mounted set of Cole jaws and leave them there. I just move the grippers when I need to.

I still use the Nova, but prefer the Vicmarc.

Neither famous, nor infamous.

IP Logged

Sam Force

WR Rocks!

Mt Zion, Illinois, USA
Mt Zion
Illinois
USA

PM 3520B, Nova Comet II, Older Delta
Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 10:39pm

You can get by with no chucks if you chose to. I believe it is Lyle Jameison that promotes no chucks. But personally I like to have several, it is easier to leave one on a bowl until it is finished. I have 2 one way strongholds that i use a lot. I also have 3 easy wood chucks (bought 2 used) that are nice too. Have a couple others as well. But you can turn anything you want without a chuck if you so chose

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2020 at 8:38am

I have 2 Nova SN2s. Would like to have 2 more. I go with the idea of leaving a set of jaws on each one. Just can't justify the other 2 yet.

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2020 at 11:08am

Paul Haus wrote on Apr 24th, 2020 at 6:34pm:
I bought a Grizzly brand for price and little expected use and it's worked out for me.

The Grizzly chucks are Vicmarc "knock-offs" but are very good for their price. IMO

As I said in my original answer, it's your method of work that determines this.
I don't have an issue with changing jaws, it usually takes about 2 minutes for the entire process.
That being said, I do have several chucks which makes my method of work (MOW) more flexible. I don't always need to free up a chuck before I can move to the next step or project. Which means I can have several projects at once, in various stages of completion, all going at the same time. I also have no need to prove that I can exist with only one or no chucks at all. Lyle is on his own.

Many of the "experts" who teach and instruct  with no chucks, are constantly grabbing large chunks of wood to make a jamb chuck. They seem to think everyone has an unlimited supply of clear blanks just sitting around waiting to be turned into waste.
So, after turning away 75% of the material they say "wasn't that easy'?
For starters, no, it wasn't easy, because I'll need to do this for every piece that's of a different size.
Two, the piece you started with was larger than some of the wood I have to turn bowls with. FYI, Wood isn't free
This is where it can become less expensive and easier to purchase one or more chucks.
JMO

IP Logged

John Hicks
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

shingletown, California, USA
shingletown
California
USA

Harvey T60-S
Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2020 at 11:55am

I have a Nova titan ii and a supernova2. They are the only ones I have bought. The titan has more range for the jaws, and can turn bigger pieces that the supernova2. The machining is good, sometimes the jaws can have sharper edges than I like. I would like to get another titan, but they are 250 dollars and on a VA disability pension; that isn't going to happen. The Titan II I have, came with a used lathe I bought a while ago; I know the III has 3 mounting holes for the jaws instead of two.

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Reply #12 - Apr 25th, 2020 at 1:07pm

MOst of the time, the range of motion that the chuck has does not make a lot of difference.  The chuck has it's best holding power when the jaws for a perfect circle.  Crank it all the way open and you are holding with 8 points or only 4 if you did a recess

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #13 - Apr 25th, 2020 at 8:19pm

I have a total of five SN2 chucks...one for each set of my five most used jaw sets and I was fortunate to get most of the new and the others on sale.  When I had just one chuck it invariably seemed like I was always needing to change jaws.  Certainly not the end of the world but I'd rather simply jump to turning as opposed to switching jaws.

Can you 'get by' with just one chuck?  Most likely yes...just like 90% of the population can get by with just one lung but with respects to chucks, if you consider it a nuisance to change jaws and you have the wherewithal to obtain more than work from there.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #14 - Apr 25th, 2020 at 8:23pm

Joe Penn wrote on Apr 24th, 2020 at 7:23pm:
The I took a class and used a Vicmarc. I couldn’t believe the difference in quality, so I bought a Vicmarc.

I am curious about the Vicmarc chucks.  I have six of the SN2 chucks and have never had a piece come off once I learned to not let the wood bottom out on the jaws.  My question is this...a chuck grabs and holds wood in one axis while turning.  If it successfully holds the wood then wherein lies the need for the higher quality Vicmarc chuck?  Secondly...does anyone know if they can utilize Teknatool jaws?  thanks...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print