Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
NOVA ORION 18” DVR LATHE (Read 651 times)

larry packwood

WR Rocks!

NOVA ORION 18” DVR LATHE
May 12th, 2020 at 5:27pm

Has anyone used the NOVA ORION 18” DVR LATHE?  I have a 1624 and I like the swiveling head but I think the extra 200 pounds on the Orion might make for less vibration and I definitely would like to have variable speed.  Larry

Larry

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Re: NOVA ORION 18” DVR LATHE
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2020 at 3:52pm

I believe Teknatool's Orion lathe is more or less the same as the 16" NOVA DVR XP lathe but with their newest control panel already fitted (a turn knob for speed control & 10 speed presets as opposed to six).  For what it's worth, I have the DVR XP and it handles everything I can put on it and I regularly max out the size blank I can turn.  While the rotating headstock can be a nice feature, I found it 'better' once I also bought their alignment tool.  No...it's not required but I simply found re-aligning things to be easier.  The one item I am disappointed in that they didn't address was to make the headstock 'sliding'.  If I had my choice between rotating and sliding I would take the sliding so that I can work off of the end of the bed and not need the outrigger.  All in all I consider it a very good hobbyist lathe before one gets into the 'serious' money of the Powermatics and above.  My two cents...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

larry packwood

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2020 at 5:34am

The Orion seems to be back ordered almost everywhere and I discovered that the Galaxy, at least according to Teknatool's website, weighs only about 70 pounds less, (Orion close to 500 pounds, Galaxy 440, compared to my 1624 at about 300.  Has anyone used the Galaxy?  The main difference between the Orion and Galaxy is the swing (18" and 16") and I doubt I will ever need the extra 2".  Also with shipping, the Orion is almost $1000 more.   Thanks, Larry
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2020 at 5:39am by larry packwood »  

Larry

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2020 at 8:17am

larry packwood wrote on May 22nd, 2020 at 5:34am:
I doubt I will ever need the extra 2"

It's hard to disagree with you point Larry.  Would I 'like' a machine with a 20" swing?  Sure...ABSOLUTELY.  How much would I use it?  Seldom...if I'm being honest.  My DVR XP has the 16" swing and though I've max'd it out on occasion that's really a big piece.  After all...how many 18" bowls are you going to give away/sell?  Still...we each have our 'dreams'.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Don R Davis

WR Rocks!

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
USA

Jet 12-21 lathe. I now have a Powermatic 3520B as of 9/12/20.
Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2020 at 8:31am

John Grace wrote on May 22nd, 2020 at 8:17am:
larry packwood wrote on May 22nd, 2020 at 5:34am:
I doubt I will ever need the extra 2"

It's hard to disagree with you point Larry.  Would I 'like' a machine with a 20" swing?  Sure...ABSOLUTELY.  How much would I use it?  Seldom...if I'm being honest.  My DVR XP has the 16" swing and though I've max'd it out on occasion that's really a big piece.  After all...how many 18" bowls are you going to give away/sell?  Still...we each have our 'dreams'.

John, the way I look at it is if you are going to turn a 12" bowl you need a 14" swing. My Jet 12/21 will turn a 12" bowl but it is a pain to do. The problem is getting the tool rest on the headstock side of the bowl. So what bowl size would be average for a garage bowl turner?

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2020 at 11:28am

I have trouble selling bowls over about 14 inch diameter. That size is generally more of a specialty market. You need a large family or you are some one who does a lot of entertaining. My first lathe was a 12 inch Atlas. I kept getting requests for larger bowls, so I bought a 3520A and it paid for itself 3 times the first year, which means it paid for all of the 'accessories' that I needed. I probably sell the same $ amount of personal sized bowls as I do family sized salad bowls, so maybe 4 to 1 of small to large. Mostly for me, I wanted more horse power for coring and production bowl turning. I have only turned on the DVR a few times. I am surprised at how much power it has considering how small the motor appears to be. I did not like the very slow ramp up and ramp down speed controls they used to have. I guess I was not the only one who told Nova that they needed dial a speed. That is huge for production bowl turning where every piece can require a different speed, and the preset speeds just don't quite work.

I do prefer the sliding headstock to the pivoting one, with one exception, and that is the Vicmark 240. One setting at 30 degrees to the bed, which will work for all standard sized bowls and you can use the banjo that comes with the lathe. The other setting is at 90 degrees, and you need an accessory floor stand which works but is a but cumbersome. The sliding or pivoting headstocks allow you to stand straight up when bowl turning, and not have to extend your arms or bend over. Huge back saver.

robo hippy

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2020 at 11:39am

Don R Davis wrote on May 23rd, 2020 at 8:31am:
John, the way I look at it is if you are going to turn a 12" bowl you need a 14" swing. My Jet 12/21 will turn a 12" bowl but it is a pain to do. The problem is getting the tool rest on the headstock side of the bowl. So what bowl size would be average for a garage bowl turner?

Good question Don.  My machine will 'turn' a 16" blank but it becomes exponentially more and more difficult to get the banjo and rest in the right position larger than 14" (see Robo's comment from the 23rd).  For me, my rotating headstock has its limitations as my banjo and rest simply doesn't 'reach' (which is why I'm considering Teknatool's outrigger attachment).  A sliding headstock would eliminate that problem altogether.  You'd be able to stand at the end of the bed but you'd also still maintain the piece's spin orientation over the bed as opposed to off-set with a rotating headstock.  Again...it all speaks to what each of us is comfortable doing.

As for what I make and sell...I only turn two/three true 16" bowls a year.  There's always one or two people that want something that big.  Otherwise, the vast majority of my works for sale are in the 10-14" variety.  Plus the handful on either side of that mark.  Sorry...got rambling.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2020 at 11:40am

robo_hippy wrote on May 23rd, 2020 at 11:28am:
One setting at 30 degrees to the bed, which will work for all standard sized bowls and you can use the banjo that comes with the lathe.

If Teknatool had made their banjo two to three inches longer that would have solved my problem.  But then again, they wouldn't be able to charge $300+ for the outrigger if you didn't need one.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #8 - May 24th, 2020 at 11:43am

robo_hippy wrote on May 23rd, 2020 at 11:28am:
I did not like the very slow ramp up and ramp down speed controls they used to have.

Not sure how the machine you used was programmed, but the machine allows you to pre-determine if you want a 'slow start' or not.  I 'believe' the new control panel allows for emergency braking if you have the right software release on the original board.

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #9 - May 24th, 2020 at 12:29pm

John, it might have been 10 years since I used the Nova DVR. The problem with bowl blanks, is that there is seldom if ever that you get identical 'perfect' speeds for any bowl blank. When I prep blanks, I take a chunk of log and process it to get the most usable blanks out of it I can, so the blanks are all different sizes. Even 5 preset speeds is not adequate. The breaking isn't a problem. Being able to quickly tune in to the perfect speed is. Maybe not so much for the recreational turner, but for a production turner it is essential. I think this is why Nova has gone to a dial type knob.

robo hippy

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #10 - May 24th, 2020 at 8:15pm

robo_hippy wrote on May 24th, 2020 at 12:29pm:
John, it might have been 10 years since I used the Nova DVR. The problem with bowl blanks, is that there is seldom if ever that you get identical 'perfect' speeds for any bowl blank. When I prep blanks, I take a chunk of log and process it to get the most usable blanks out of it I can, so the blanks are all different sizes. Even 5 preset speeds is not adequate. The breaking isn't a problem. Being able to quickly tune in to the perfect speed is. Maybe not so much for the recreational turner, but for a production turner it is essential. I think this is why Nova has gone to a dial type knob.

In addition to the spin know speed control, the new control panel comes with a total of 10 presents.  I would like one but just can't justify the expense at this time.   It's in the 'someday' wish list.

IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #11 - May 25th, 2020 at 2:15pm

The biggest thing I have made is a 14" platter but with the square edges still on it made it about 18" and was quite glad I have the 20" swing so I could move around the banjo.  It is so nice to have a bigger swing then a smaller swing when doing logs or uneven lumber and having a heavy lathe is great to but even they will shake rumble and roll if turned to fast at the beginning.

I tell the vets and show them the speeds on a lathe with different wood attached and how the lathe will move when rpm is turned up.  I also show them sometimes just a tad more speed will go thru it and if not turn it down until you can turn up the rpm.

At the slow speeds you will get the bump bump bump and when turned higher you will get better cuts and how it sounds also that way if they do not have a display they can judge the rpm by sound.  I also tell them turn at a speed they feel safe with and do not listen to anyone telling them to turn it up if you can not or should not.  Their safety is their responsibly it is not the other person who will get hurt by the advise.  Just like I tell them they already have enough damage to their body so why inflict more use a face shield to save their face or neck or sleeves or whatever safety gear they need to wear it.

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #12 - May 26th, 2020 at 11:35am

I will never forget the first pivoting headstock lathe I saw. It was one of the reeves drive 14 inch Jet lathes. They had an out rigger on their banjo for when you had the headstock pivoted. That thing bounced without the lathe even being turned on. They have gotten better. Can't remember, but I think the first ones would pivot to 45 or 90 degrees. The 45 degree angle was too much for the factory banjo to reach. I am thinking that with the Vicmark they may have a slightly longer banjo, and that may be part of the design to improve it. It reaches most bowls at that 30 degree setting. Not too big, not too little, but just right. I did see a post about them that was years old, and the early models pivoted to 45 degrees.

I can never build things the same way twice, at least not for the first 10 or so times. I always seem to find ways to 'new and improve' things.... "If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it anyway."

robo hippy

IP Logged

larry packwood

WR Rocks!

Reply #13 - May 27th, 2020 at 5:47am

I finally decided to pull the trigger on the Galaxy and expect it to arrive between 6/05 and 6/15.  Will post again when it is up and running

Larry

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #14 - May 27th, 2020 at 8:26am

larry packwood wrote on May 27th, 2020 at 5:47am:
I finally decided to pull the trigger on the Galaxy and expect it to arrive between 6/05 and 6/15.  Will post again when it is up and running

Congrats Larry...looking forward to your feedback.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print