Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
consignment (Read 469 times)

Lee Watermann

WR Rocks!

consignment
May 25th, 2020 at 10:54am

Probably not doing any shows this year and am wondering if anyone has any luck with consignment with gift shops. If so, what the breakdown would one expect.
thanks,
Lee

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Nova DVR XP
Re: consignment
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2020 at 10:59am

I've checked into it and locally (southern Maine) the gift shops are looking for 40-50% of the selling price.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2020 at 11:00am by Robert Fischer »  

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2020 at 12:35pm

Robert Fischer wrote on May 25th, 2020 at 10:59am:
I've checked into it and locally (southern Maine) the gift shops are looking for 40-50% of the selling price.

That's insane for the gift shop/consignment shop level.  Around here its in the 20% to 30% range.  My best shop that is no longer around because of the crazy that is going around charged a flat rent starting at $50 for a 2 ft x 6 ft tall book shelf.  2 months prior to the forced shut down i doubled my shelf size to a custom built one to bring larger pieces in.  They did not survive the shutdown and had to stay closed permanently.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Arlin Eastman

Born in the USA

Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA
Council Bluffs
Iowa
USA

PM3520B
Reply #3 - May 25th, 2020 at 1:48pm

Robert Fischer wrote on May 25th, 2020 at 10:59am:

Same around her but starting from 30% to 50% depending on how well they sell or business is known about quality products they sell.

I have sold things I had to mark up so I could pay for the wood or my time and they sold however, I have not sold the same items either at the same or different store. 
Customers are one of a kind and if they love what they see they will pay the price or they will just pass it up.

I made a nice weed vase with the weeds/dried flowers/dried mint or other things like that and a woman came in and wanted two the exact same so the owner told me and I made two the exact same and that is all I sold of them.  Eveyone says how lovely but not willing to pay the few bucks to take it home unless they have the cash.

Most do not carry cash so be ready to take CC and let them go home with it.

It is always the right time;  To do the right thing

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2020 at 4:17pm

Another thing you can do is sell on social media if you have a following.  Facebook an pintrest have always made it easy to sell and i recently discovered that instagram now lets you put tags in images to link sales pages.  Right now i link back to my etsy but plan on transitioning to my own shopping cart eventually.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2020 at 10:41am

chris lawrence wrote on May 25th, 2020 at 4:17pm:
Another thing you can do is sell on social media if you have a following.  Facebook an pintrest have always made it easy to sell and i recently discovered that instagram now lets you put tags in images to link sales pages.  Right now i link back to my etsy but plan on transitioning to my own shopping cart eventually.

Hi Chris...I have been selling my work at my local farmer's market for several years and have been fairly successful.  Still...I would like to have some sort of internet presence.  After all...at some point I will get rained out.  It almost seems like there's too many options with many seemingly not caring for Etsy for whatever reason(s).  May I ask...what you prefer and what do you mean by the phrase 'my own shopping cart'?

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #6 - May 26th, 2020 at 12:47pm

Right now I reluctantly use etsy.  I do not fall into there add trap.  I only pay the $.20 listing fee all add stuff is shut off.  I direct my website and social media to the Etsy listings.  It gives me more time in the shop instead of all the small things that Etsy automates.  Shopping carts are software on your website that automates some of the sale.  It's more work but you do not have the fees Etsy charges for sales.  You would need to check with your hosting provider to see what carts are available.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #7 - May 27th, 2020 at 9:13am

chris lawrence wrote on May 26th, 2020 at 12:47pm:
Right now I reluctantly use etsy.  I do not fall into there add trap.  I only pay the $.20 listing fee all add stuff is shut off.  I direct my website and social media to the Etsy listings.  It gives me more time in the shop instead of all the small things that Etsy automates.  Shopping carts are software on your website that automates some of the sale.  It's more work but you do not have the fees Etsy charges for sales.  You would need to check with your hosting provider to see what carts are available.

Thank you for the response Chris.  What it sounds like is that Etsy will 'manage' your entire sale from start to finish provided of course that you're OK with their fees, etc.  Thanks for sharing...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2020 at 3:56pm

To add i started adding the fee's and shipping into my list price so i do not lose it.  I have sold more artsy things on there then anything else so the increase in price is not noticed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print