Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pricing and remote demonstration help (Read 463 times)

Corey Graham

WR Rocks!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
Canada

Master craft mini lathe
Pricing and remote demonstration help
Jun 3rd, 2020 at 1:49pm

First off is the pricing. I’m not sure if I’m charging the correct amount or what. If you wouldn’t mind looking at the Etsy and helping me out the great. Still working on photos. Seems to be the hardest part for me.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Also I would really love to get into doing remote demonstrations as I would love to turn this into a full time job but not sure if feasible. Seems more difficult in Canada IMO. Any tips on how to generate interest and other things would be greatly appreciated.

Fun side note; a gaming shop I normally frequent weekly is considering selling my dice holders when social restrictions are removed.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Re: Pricing and remote demonstration help
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 2:52pm

Check out lucidwoodturners.com it's a good resource for interactive remote demos

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 6:14pm

Corey Graham wrote on Jun 3rd, 2020 at 1:49pm:
First off is the pricing. I’m not sure if I’m charging the correct amount or what. If you wouldn’t mind looking at the Etsy and helping me out the great. Still working on photos. Seems to be the hardest part for me.

Pricing is always a tricky subject.  If you want to go at it with the business mind set you would want to take into account things like operational costs, materials and how much do you want to pay yourself.  Your prices dont look to bad but i have no clue how long it takes you to make them.  I use a set shop time hourly rate +materials to figure out price but it varies.  If something i make takes a short time but looks like it worth more i pad my price a little.  Some things take a long time to make i cant price by the hourly rate and have to price it lower.  In the end it all comes down to if you feel the price was worth your time.

WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 9:49am

My only suggestion from first glance, is in your "about" section.  You wrote "large" when I'm sure you meant lathe.   My old editorial past kicking in.  Your prices don't seem out of line.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Jennifer Hasan

WR Rocks!

Beacon, ny, New York, USA
Beacon, ny
New York
USA

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 7:25am

If you are interested, I teach a two-hour online class called Beginners Guide to Selling on Etsy through the Brookfield Craft Center.

They charge $34.

I'm super honest about what it takes to be successful.
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2020 at 7:28am by Jennifer Hasan »  

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 1:40am

something very few think about is: does the city you are selling in require a business license? what about city, state or local sales tax??

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 10:09am

Corey Graham wrote on Jun 3rd, 2020 at 1:49pm:
as I would love to turn this into a full time job but not sure if feasible.

It's tough and not for everyone but it can certainly be done.
The number one thing IMO is to be honest about what it takes.
What do you need to make in a month or week? Can you make what you need to cover all of tour expenses and turn a profit? This will give you an idea of how much you need to make in a given amount of time.  Some people find that setting a daily goal is an easier way to track their progress rather that setting an hourly wage for themselves.

Time, and accurate accounting of it, is where most people go off track. You need to be realistic about what it takes to produce your items from start to finish and every step in between. Only then will you know if your prices are right for you, is there enough profit generated to meet you $ goals. If there is, great, if there's not, you need to adjust something.
Little things like taking your photos can eat up time.
You might be great at making stuff but not too good at photography. All that extra time fussing with the camera, lighting, post processing all has to be accounted for. Maybe once a week you have someone come in and take all the photos for you, it can be cheaper in the long run and lets you stay focused on what you're best at.

Maybe take Jennifer's course, getting first hand info from someone who has done it can be invaluable.
There is no single right way for everyone
Good luck

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 7:37pm

When selling locally at a craft show, customers can see your work first hand and feel it in their hand; the competition is likely a few turners oin your area; and the customer may consider quality and form as well as price.  When selling on the Internet, customers only see one or more pictures, the competition is worldwide, it is very hard to evaluate quality and form, so the primary consideration may simply be price - who is willing to sell the same item for the lowest price.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print