Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Latest turning or turning related project. (Read 2,237 times)
Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Re: Latest turning or turning related project.
Reply #45 - Jul 27th, 2020 at 5:06pm

John Grace wrote on Jul 27th, 2020 at 8:23am:
Can you share what this is and/or a picture of your finished shop?  I really struggled in my shop yesterday...thanks.

Here is a link to the brand I used. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I did the install myself including the system vacuum and charge. All said and done including many extras such as R30 attic insulation over the shop/garage, insulating the overhead garage door, installing a ceiling access hatch, electric sub panel, surge protector for the mini circuits and a few other minor things my total cost was well under $1500. Electric bill went up just a tick in the hottest months, maybe $25 a month. I put in a heat pump version but have yet to use it on heat cycle except for testing.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #46 - Jul 28th, 2020 at 11:17am

For HVAC in my shop I used this: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
ni-split-heat-pump-240v-2pamshqc24-16.html
My shop is a 2 car garage. Works well in heat and cold. I've set the cooling to 80 degrees F. when I'm out there. With an additional 24" fan to help circulate the air, I'm not sweating in Texas heat. Have not installed the insulation yet, but planning to after get in the Dust collecting runs.

Glenn J.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2020 at 11:18am by Glenn Jacobs »  

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Jim Selby

WR Rocks!

jacksonville, Florida, USA
jacksonville
Florida
USA

excelsior mini, colt sp350
Reply #47 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 9:06pm

I made 2 dibbles out of ash and finished with bees wax, Now I am making crosses on the scrollsaw out of figured maple then shaping with dremel. The dibbles out nice but dirt sticks to the grain of the ash after use. I guess that is to be expected though, I made them to use not look at.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #48 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 7:11am

I had finished my 'twice turned' bowl inventory several weeks ago and was feeling a little loss has to what to do next.  No new bowl stock on the near horizon from my mill and while a handful of small shop projects were satisfying it just wasn't the same.  Then it occurred to me, I still had a handful of the 4-in-1 screwdriver kits I'd never completed.  So not only did I have the opportunity for some 'real life' turning, I also had the benefit to brush up on my skew work.  For what it's worth, don't be intimidate by the skew...it's just a tool and not possessed by any demons.  I've used this analogy a number of times and I think it's directly applicable to skew work.  When learning to ride a bicycle for the first time, you're not quite sure what you're doing no matter how many times Mom and Dad just say to keep pedaling.  You fall...get scrapped up and try, try again.  And then a funny thing happens...within 20 or 30 seconds after having figured out the magic of bike riding, it's nearly impossible to figure out why it was so hard in the first place.  For what it's worth...I always recommend one or two 'real life' projects you want to to turn and then mass produce them.  Eventually...what works best for you will become apparent and 'muscle memory' will take over from there.  Anyways...that's how I spent my weekend (well...some of it anyways), making screwdriver handles.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #49 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 9:04am

John Grace wrote on Aug 3rd, 2020 at 7:11am:
it's just a tool and not possessed by any demons.

That's exactly what a demon tool would have you believe, don't be fooled. Grin

Unfortunately no turning here, I was cutting mitered box joints.
I did see the lathe once or twice, I may have even set something on it  Undecided

IP Logged

Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Nova DVR XP
Reply #50 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 9:25am

John Grace wrote on Aug 3rd, 2020 at 7:11am:
For what it's worth, don't be intimidate by the skew...it's just a tool and not possessed by any demons.  I've used this analogy a number of times and I think it's directly applicable to skew work.

You've motivated me to go back and dust off my barely used skew and give it another try! Thumbs Up

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #51 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 7:28am

Robert Fischer wrote on Aug 3rd, 2020 at 9:25am:
You've motivated me to go back and dust off my barely used skew and give it another try!

I'm not saying this is the 'right' way to use the skew...but for what it's worth, I have my rest set higher than what I would for bowl turning.  Right or wrong, I find it easier to maintain the right presentation angle to the piece this way.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #52 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 9:02am

John G, I've found that having the rest higher for Skew work is easier to prevent catches and get smoother cuts, too.

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #53 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 11:57am

Haven't done much turning lately, but managed to build a combination vacuum guard and splitter. Guard mounts on splitter with one bolt and vacuum seperator hose slips in to socket on guard. Works pretty good. Steel seperator is about 4 mils. thinner than the blade and filed to a kind of V on leading edge. Color is what was laying around.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #54 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 2:50pm

Nice retro fit for your saw.
There really aren't too many options "off the shelf" for improving the safety of your pre riving knife saw or ones without built in dust collection. The over arm solutions can get quite expensive and are typically only for cabinet saws.

Years ago, I bought a Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, made my own guard for it and never looked back.
The only drawback is that it doesn't work with bevel cuts, not a big deal to me.
IMO, the ease of removal and install makes you more apt to use it. I frequently change from rip to cross-cut and it only takes a second to change.
I don't know how the newer saws deal with this.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #55 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 4:42pm

Ed Weber wrote on Aug 4th, 2020 at 2:50pm:
Years ago, I bought a Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, made my own guard for it and never looked back.

What saw do you use Ed?
After a lifetime of using a contractor grade saw and a really old Rockwell radial arm saw I bought a PM2000. Had never used a table saw with a riving knife prior that I can remember.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #56 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 7:56pm

I have a Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
It's been a good saw, no complaints.
If I were to buy a new one I would go for the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register for one main reason, more room in front of the blade.
Distance - Front of Table to Center of Blade: 18-1/2"
Distance - Table in Front of Saw at Max Depth of Cut: 13-1/2"
May seem like a little thing but those extra 2" are worth it, and it's a darn nice saw.

IP Logged

George Stratton

WR Rocks!

Old Delta 12" 46-701 in great condition. Had it about 20+ years and turned 1 part.
Reply #57 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 10:59am

Ed, you beat my old 1961 Craftsman 100 by 3/8 of an inch blade to front edge at Max.  Embarrassed Embarrassed

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #58 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 12:26pm

And I want more.
A couple of my Incra miter gauges are 10" from fence to the rear most point of the bar. It doesn't leave you much room for stock to cut.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #59 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 7:21am

Ed Weber wrote on Aug 5th, 2020 at 12:26pm:
And I want more.
A couple of my Incra miter gauges are 10" from fence to the rear most point of the bar. It doesn't leave you much room for stock to cut.

I think that's a common malady to woodworking.  I have a decent 14" Grizzly bandsaw as my first saw.  I've had it for about 10 years or so now and find myself frequently wishing I had 'just another inch' or so.  I saw a beautiful used 17" Laguna for sale recently and was briefly considering it when it occurred to me that once I got it all set-up and working I'd likely find I still needed that 'extra inch' or so.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print