Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DIY tools & accessories (Read 730 times)

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: DIY tools & accessories
Reply #15 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 6:50pm

I do not believe tools are dangerous, only people.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #16 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 7:05am

I know a turner that made something like that except he used a laminate router with router bits and pipe clamps to hold the tool the fixture. I thought it was pretty ingenious.

Anyone else noticed how smooth that spindle is? I'd bet dollars to donuts that is not the way it looks after that grinder finishes chomping away. Makes me wonder.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2020 at 7:08am by Ron Sardo »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #17 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 7:55am

I like the concept of it. I built a very similar device, using a router. I believe my ball nose bit is a bit less scary than that cutter though.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #18 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 9:48am

Ron Sardo wrote on Jun 28th, 2020 at 7:05am:
Anyone else noticed how smooth that spindle is? I'd bet dollars to donuts that is not the way it looks after that grinder finishes chomping away. Makes me wonder.

That spindle is in the realm of pool cue thickness, I know they don't use a cutter like that to make cue sticks or chair stretchers. Vibration alone would tell you to turn the grinder 90 degrees one way or the other.

Grant Wilkinson wrote on Jun 28th, 2020 at 7:55am:
I like the concept of it. I built a very similar device, using a router. I believe my ball nose bit is a bit less scary than that cutter though.

Agreed  Thumbs Up

I built a crude fluting jig using a router about eight years ago.
I did not however use any plastic zip ties to hold the router to the carriage. Mine is also mounted using T-track, which limits (eliminates) it's ability to lift off or tip over.
Mine is more like Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If you do an internet search for DIY or Home made lathe duplicator, you will find plenty that use a fixed cutter, plenty that use a router of some kind and far too many that use an angle grinder in the manner shown above.

His conclusion
"I've had mixed results with this method of lathe duplication, but overall I am satisfied and still use this device. My expectations were high. I hoped to duplicate intricate turning details, but found this technique produced chip-out on details such as a quarter rounds, beads and v-grooves. It should be noted at this point in time, the only species of wood I've used thus far has been hickory/pecan which is notorious for chip-out. I hope to get better results with hard maple, but my expectations are much lower now. Avoiding chip-out required a modification to the templates with epoxy glue to fill in the areas of vulnerable pattern details."

If he used more teeth, he would have less chip out.

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #19 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 10:30am

If he HAD more teeth...

most likely, he wouldn't be doing this...or inbreeding. Shocked

Sorry, reminds me of downeast Maine. The toothbrush was invented in Downeast Maine because if it had been invented anywhere else, it would have been called a teethbrush!! Grin

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #20 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 12:07pm

Well Ralph, I won't go as far as you just did but I did notice in one of the photos, there is a sign that reads retired hanging over the door.
My gut reaction was, not retired from anything involving tool use.

My opinion, small rant
I really can't ever see myself having that much time on my hands to waste. Just buy a Bleeping duplicator, you'll be better off.

This is yet another another example of an all to familiar story.
You all know the guy who "made it himself", didn't cast much at all. Roll Eyes. I made it all from scraps lying around"
6 hours of wasted time (work  Roll Eyes), two trips to the hardware store, 3 beers, a band-aide a bent screwdriver, 1/2 role of duct tape, 13 zip ties, a broken drill bit, 3 stripped screws, 1/2 a sheet of plywood (that was for some thing else), angry spouse but "Look what I made"
Absolute nonsense, all to end up with a pile of parts that doesn't perform very well.

I don't know how much this all cost him but his list of parts/hardware is extensive and would most likely be close to the cost of a retail system or simply buying the spindles.

If you want to do a project like this, look at how the professionals do it first, there is no need to re-invent the wheel, poorly.

As Dirty Harry once said "A man's got to know his limitations"

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #21 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 1:14pm

I had a neighbor who made pool cues. He had a gear motor lathe, so it turned at very slow speeds. He had a router in a sled to make the taper, but can't remember what type of bit he had on it. End result, prior to sanding looked pretty smooth. I would expect that if the lathe was spinning at more than about 50 rpm, you would not get a clean surface, no matter what bit you were using.

I guess we have all seen the video of the base ball bat automated turning with a bit that goes around the whole bat. Not sure what that cutter looks like, but the resulting surface is pretty clean.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #22 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 1:31pm

If he used Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, the potential safety hazard would be less and the finish prior to sanding better. Even better if he rotated the grinder.

IP Logged

David Moeller

Old chiseler

Linden, Michigan, USA
Linden
Michigan
USA

LAGUNA REVO 15X24
CONOVER 15 x Infinity
Long gone: Shopsmith, Myford ML8, Homebuilt bowl lathe, NOVA benchtop, Delta 46-715 and a Unimat.

Reply #23 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 8:32pm

I agree Ed. Much smoother cut. Have had the coarse cut for 24 yrs. Carved a rocking horse for 1st grandson. Safety? DIFIKnow how it can remove so much skin that fast! Lips Sealed Undecided

Everyone has 1 redeeming feature: they're biodegradable

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #24 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 12:25pm

A couple of closing comments.
It is scary, though not surprising how many of these types of procedures are posted on the internet. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
The only reason I posted the above video is that the majority of the comments made me feel a little better, I'm not "completely" insane.

BTW, most common 4.5" angle grinders run at about 11,000 rpm, they were designed for grinding metal and removing material at high speed and should usually be held using two hands.

Apparently I did need to write that  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print