Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leaving Lathe Plugge In (Read 226 times)

Daniel Hayes

WR Rocks!

Spring, Texas, USA
Spring
Texas
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Leaving Lathe Plugge In
Jun 26th, 2020 at 3:31pm

Do you really need to leave a variable speed lathe unplugged when not used for a few days? I've heard it is better for the inverter but what is the bottom line?

IP Logged

Clark Pittman

WR Rocks!

Portland, Tennessee, USA
Portland
Tennessee
USA

Both Nova Comet 2 and Laguna Revo 1836
Re: Leaving Lathe Plugge In
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2020 at 4:09pm

Hi Daniel,
I also have a Laguna Revo 1836 which I always unplug when not using but probably for a different reason than you suggested.
We have in the past had any number of problems when the power goes off and has surges when coming back on.
(We're near an industrial area with large inductive electrical loads.)
Lost several TV's and other electrical appliances because of the surge voltages.
Additionally, we get our fair share of lightning storms.
UPS's on all the computers, monitors, TV's has minimized my fear but I'm afraid I can't see getting a UPS large enough for the lathe so it gets unplugged when not in use. Pretty easy remedy.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2020 at 4:33pm

I have three levels of surge protection. First stage inside the power meter can installed by the electric company. Second stage is inside my distribution panel or breaker box and the third is at the outlet box on the wall where my 3520b plugs into.

With that said, I always unplug the lathe when I am done turning. We have a huge amount of lightning in my area of Florida.
Bob
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2020 at 4:34pm by Robert Hayward »  

IP Logged

Paul Haus

WR Rocks!

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Minneapolis
Minnesota
USA

Jet 1642 extended to 60 inches
Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2020 at 7:44pm

I also unplug my tools as noted for most of the same reasons.  One more is I have grandkids, and though they have not found their way into my shop my youngest daughter did once and figured out how to start my table saw.  It could have been much worse than it was, a saw running unattended but anything is possible.
Worst case, can you put a main cutoff on the power to the shop?

IP Logged

Daniel Hayes

WR Rocks!

Spring, Texas, USA
Spring
Texas
USA

Laguna Revo 1836
Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 9:25am

I thought I had read in the instructions to unplug when not in use but I can't find it. I just built a new shop and had the outlet put at mid wall level right behind the lathe so it's easy to unplug. I leave a lot plugged in though.  Air filter, dust collector, band saw. Other stuff only plugged in when I use it. New house so I'm not familiar with the frequency of storms/power interuptions.

IP Logged

Bill Moschler

WR Rocks!

Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Knoxville
Tennessee
USA

Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 4:37pm

Got all worried about leaving it plugged in.  Then realized I do not have any electronices.  I have the belt drive Nova.  Guess I will not have to run out to the shop and un plug it after all.  I do keep the table saw and jointer and planer  unplugged for safety.  I want to be sure I am ready when they go.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 7:11am

Always unplug the lathe

Clark Pittman wrote on Jun 26th, 2020 at 4:09pm:
UPS's on all the computers, monitors, TV's

Smiley I also have one on the refrigerator, came in handy once

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 11:09am

Is it worth having a whole house surge protector?

Glenn J.

Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 11:25am

Surge protectors on everything is a good idea.
As far as a whole house surge protector, they come is a very wide range of price points and protection levels. Good idea, yes but better to call an electrician IMO.
I have my lathe plugged into a surge protector which I switch off when I'm done. It also turns off the task lights on the lathe so I don't forget. When leaving the shop for the day, I flick off the ceiling lights and look to see if I forgot any task lights i use, like the lathe, bandsaw, router and so on.

IP Logged

Rick Caron

So many logs, so little
time!

Greer, South Carolina, USA
Greer
South Carolina
USA

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 2:50pm

I never leave my Nova dvr plugged in when not in use    That's the last  thing i want to go out   in a power surge  A tv can be replaced  cheaper    than a lathe

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:24pm

I keep my lathe plugged in, but - - -

I have a set of receptacles near my lathe that are all controlled by a master switch.  These receptacles feed the lathe, the task lighting around the lathe, a fan mounted overhead to blow dust away from me, an angle drill for sanding, etc.  When I'm not working, I used the master switch to turn off the power to all of those receptacles.  So in effect, while my lathe is plugged in continuously, in fact it is disconnected from the electric supply unless I am actually working. 

Louie

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 10:54am

My PM is wired into a disconnect switch...works pretty good.

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #12 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 11:09am

Ed Weber wrote on Jun 28th, 2020 at 11:25am:
- - -
I have my lathe plugged into a surge protector which I switch off when I'm done. It also turns off the task lights on the lathe so I don't forget. When leaving the shop for the day, I flick off the ceiling lights and look to see if I forgot any task lights i use, like the lathe, bandsaw, router and so on.

At one point, I considered having my lathe plugged into a receptacle that was switched along with the overall lighting in my shop - so that when I left the shop at the end of a session and turned off the lights*, I would be certain that the lathe was also disconnected.  But then I realized that would create a safety issue - suppose I was in the middle of turning something when something went wrong that caused the circuit to trip.  That would have meant that the lights went out while the lathe was still spinning.  As a general safety principle, lights and power tools should always be on different circuits.

*  In our house, I always turn off the lights when I leave a room.  That cannot be said of other residents in the home - - -

Louie

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 12:32pm

Our setups sound similar.

When SWMBO needs to get my attention, she flicks the ceiling lights, no effect to me at the machines.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 4:53pm

Louie Powell wrote on Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:24pm:
So in effect, while my lathe is plugged in continuously, in fact it is disconnected from the electric supply unless I am actually working.

Most likely not completely though. With the switch off your machine is still connected to the neutral and or ground wire. Both of these wires are very capable of transferring a surge current. If your wiring is like ours in this area the neutral and ground are bonded in the main circuit panel.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print