Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RIKON's Heavy Duty 70-3040 lathe. (Read 246 times)

Don R Davis

WR Rocks!

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
USA

Jet 12-21 lathe which is a nice upgrade from my spindle lathe.
RIKON's Heavy Duty 70-3040 lathe.
Jun 28th, 2020 at 8:20pm

I wanted to know if anyone has bought the new lathe Rikon has. I was wondering what you thought of it. Just reading about it and looking at pictures I think I kind of like it. It sure would look good setting in my shop.   Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Robert Evans

WR Rocks!

HOSCHTON, Georgia
HOSCHTON
Georgia

Grizzly G0766
Rockwell Delta 46-111  (retired to buffing duties)
Re: RIKON's Heavy Duty 70-3040 lathe.
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 11:45pm

This is the first time I've looked over the new Rikon lathe.  My only concern would be how stable is the tail stock going to be if it's on some kind of a sliding mechanism.  The rest of the specs look pretty good.  You want the tailstock to lock down inline with the headstock.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 8:21am

I know it's been on sale for a while now, $3700
I can not find any reviews on it, not sure what to make of that.

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

PM 3520
Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 10:48am

Sliding bed is a neat idea but maybe a little gimmicky (is that a word...lol) for a wood lathe.  Personally, I really like a sliding headstock.

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 12:11pm

Here's a link to an earlier discussion of this lathe - - -

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Louie

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 11:24am

I do like the looks of the machine...has a nice 'clean' appearance to it.  Likes:  the 3HP motor, the larger LCD display, and the simplicity of the controls.  Concerns:  the Rikon weighs almost 200 pounds less than the Powermatic.  Yes, the Powermatic is several hundred collars more but to me that's seems a trivial expense relative to the over-all costs.  Bigger Concern:  sliding table.  An interesting and clever idea...but just like buying a new car, there's always a danger in buying a given model's first year production run.  Another way to look at this machine of course is what other products are available with the same motor and swing but without the sliding ways?

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 12:50pm

John Grace wrote on Jul 9th, 2020 at 11:24am:
Bigger Concern:  sliding table.  An interesting and clever idea...but just like buying a new car, there's always a danger in buying a given model's first year production run.  Another way to look at this machine of course is what other products are available with the same motor and swing but without the sliding ways?

Case in point - years ago, I bought a snowblower that offered what appeared to be an interesting feature - the ability to (upon demand) shift the position of the rear wheels back by a couple of inches - in order to get more traction when working on an uphill slope.  I had that blower for many years until the differential failed, and repairing it was going to be too expensive.  So when I went to the dealer to buy a replacement, I asked about that feature and was told that while the shifting arrangement seemed like a good idea at the time it was introduced, it actually turned out to be a maintenance nightmare and the manufacturer abandoned it after a couple of model years.

Louie

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 1:08pm

I find it strange that after a couple of months, no reviews.
I would have though by now that the magazines would have gotten their machines to review. Summer is usually a slow period in woodworking , the perfect time to launch you new product. All I here are crickets.
Don't know if they're trying to build up a buzz about it, they're bad marketers or it's an Edsel.

IP Logged

Steve nix

WR Rocks!

Iota, Louisiana, USA
Iota
Louisiana
USA

1642 Jet, RobustAB
Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 5:25pm

The only thing I can’t understand is how you position the banjo to work next to the headstock with the bed in fully extended.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 8:08am

Ed Weber wrote on Jul 9th, 2020 at 1:08pm:
I find it strange that after a couple of months, no reviews.
I would have though by now that the magazines would have gotten their machines to review. Summer is usually a slow period in woodworking , the perfect time to launch you new product. All I here are crickets.
Don't know if they're trying to build up a buzz about it, they're bad marketers or it's an Edsel.

I agree Ed that it is very curious that there's been nothing to date.  I did some Googling after your initial post and couldn't find anything either.  Though I'm not sure what to make of it, it doesn't appear that this particular lathe is being sold through Amazon either.  Other Rikon lathes are available, just not this one.  I thought surely there would have been at least one customer purchase with their own feedback by now.  Seems strange that with what surely must be Rikon's penultimate machine there's no 'professional' reviews available and no 'anecdotal' customer feedback from the Bezos' empire.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 8:20am

Steve nix wrote on Jul 9th, 2020 at 5:25pm:
The only thing I can’t understand is how you position the banjo to work next to the headstock with the bed in fully extended.

I'm not sure if this is what your referring to.  But I 'blew-up' the photo on the Rikon web site and I believe the design is such that the tailstock can be used on either the lower or upper beds.  The photo shows what looks to be a tool rest 'extender' for use on the lower bed and I suspect you're expected to remove same when moving the tailstock to the upper/moving bed.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 8:27am

Louie Powell wrote on Jul 9th, 2020 at 12:50pm:
Case in point - years ago, I bought a snowblower that offered what appeared to be an interesting feature - the ability to (upon demand) shift the position of the rear wheels back by a couple of inches - in order to get more traction when working on an uphill slope.  I had that blower for many years until the differential failed, and repairing it was going to be too expensive.  So when I went to the dealer to buy a replacement, I asked about that feature and was told that while the shifting arrangement seemed like a good idea at the time it was introduced, it actually turned out to be a maintenance nightmare and the manufacturer abandoned it after a couple of model years.

Those of us old enough to remember may recall the first production run of the old Chevy Monza 2+2.  Only after production did Chevrolet realize that the engine needed to be loosened from the motor mounts and lifted an inch or two in order for the spark plugs to be changed.  I've long since forgotten the make and model, but I also recall another vehicle where it was determined that the best way to change one particular plug was to jack the front end up off the pavement, remove the front wheels, and then drill a comparable size hole through the wheel well.  I've come to believe over the years the most reliable vehicle to purchase is the very last production year of any given model...they've had enough time to work out all of the kinks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print