WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Cedar, USA
Cedar
USA

Delta Rockwell sears shop smith
Oneway 1640
Jun 29th, 2020 at 11:55pm

Any idea on current  preowned Oneway 1640 lathe price? one is  at a auction in near future.

2834+Hwy+23  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Oneway 1640
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 8:40am

If you could provide some more information, like age, specs, and condition, we could hekp narrow it down.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 11:21am

Personally, I have no problems with purchasing a used tool in good condition and Ed has raised several questions that would certainly help.  The 'rule of thumb' I start with and seems common among others is to start from 50% of new and then work up or down from there.  To add to Ed's list I would consider have you seen or heard the machine run.  While this speaks to condition...how comfortable would you be changing a bad bearing, etc?  Another factor which you should add into the equation is accessories...what, if anything, comes with the lathe?  Items like chucks, bed extensions, swing-aways will greatly add to the value.

When I looked up the specs on the 1640 I saw that it could come with either a 1.5 or 2 HP motor with a 16" swing.  The current price on the 1640 with 2 HP motor is $4,500.  If you consider your top dollar for the auction to be over $2k have you looked at other brand new lathes that could be purchased for the same amount?  2 HP motors and 16" swings are fairly common in other decent-to-good lathes these days and while they may not have the Oneway name or panache they would come with a warranty.

Just some more things to consider as we help you spend your money...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 12:46pm

Slightly  off topic.
Used machines can be a great deal and a lot depends on the work habits of the previous owner. Some of this can be determined by inspecting the machine and some can not.
I would like to see manufacturers put Hobbs meters on large (stationary) woodworking machines. Roll Eyes Would greatly help with resale.
They put every other thing in the digital displays these days

IP Logged

Bill Moschler

WR Rocks!

Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Knoxville
Tennessee
USA

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 3:55pm

I would bet it goes considerably higher than half of the current price for a new one.  Might depend upon the auction itself and how well it is advertised.  On an new one there are taxes and shipping added too.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2020 at 3:56pm by Bill Moschler »  

IP Logged

Bill Moschler

WR Rocks!

Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
Knoxville
Tennessee
USA

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 8:23am

There was a small Oneway advertised on Ebay.  New price listed as $2500 at Oneway.  The used one was listed at $1900 buy me now and sold in a couple of days.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 9:09am

Barry, please let us know what it sells for and what equipment and tools were included.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 8:49am

Bill Moschler wrote on Jul 5th, 2020 at 8:23am:
There was a small Oneway advertised on Ebay.  New price listed as $2500 at Oneway.  The used one was listed at $1900 buy me now and sold in a couple of days.

A used Oneway 1224 with bed extension just popped-up on one my 'used tool' FB pages.  They're asking $1650 and it's in Indiana.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print