Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drill chuck for Jet 1014 (Read 256 times)

Leonard Ratliff
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Jet 1014
Drill chuck for Jet 1014
Jul 5th, 2020 at 4:53pm

So, I'm entirely new to wood turning and lathes in general. Plenty of shop experience, but not on lathes. Never been around them at all.

So recently I got a small lathe, Jet 1014, which I understand is nothing great or fabulous, but I paid 100 bucks for it plus bought a Nova G3 and so far it's worked well for my needs.

What I am looking for is some advice on what I need in terms of a drill chuck for the footstock. Everything I'm seeing that says it's compatible with this unit seems as though it's not.

The live center comes out of the footstock and looks like this.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

But all of the chucks I can find seem to be tapered, which that is obviously not (Unless I'm missing something. Doesn't seem as though the center piece on that live center comes apart NOR does it seem tapered inside or out) and are the tapered ones like the 1/2" #2 Morse taper PSI unit seen here.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Any suggestions on this, or other accessories that will work with this unit including a wider tool rest that will fit the bore on the rest base of this unit would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2020 at 4:53pm by Leonard Ratliff »  

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Re: Drill chuck for Jet 1014
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 5:49pm

Looks like you took the entire quill out of the tailstock.  Put that back in and use a rod to tap the live center out from the opening in the back of the quill.

WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Dwight Rutherford

WR Rocks!

Roseville, California, USA
Roseville
California
USA

Jet 1642
Rose Engine
Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 6:39pm

Here is the owners manual for your lathe. Page 11 describes how to eject the live canter.

The tailstock has an MT2 taper. Buy a drill chuck with an MT taper and you are good to go.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2020 at 6:41pm by Dwight Rutherford »  

IP Logged

Buck Nemitt
WR Addict

Lovin It

Toronto,Ohio, Ohio, USA
Toronto,Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 9:21pm

I use the Harbor Freight version , bought it years ago and still use it. Same one as most supply companies sell Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

What the heck,Give it a try---

IP Logged

Leonard Ratliff
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Jet 1014
Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 10:47pm

Ok, thanks for the replies gentlemen. I'll try that again but the reason I tool the whole quill out was because the live center was not coming out of it when I used a piece of bar stock to try to tap it out.

When you "eject" it as per the manual, which I already had, that whole "quill" is what comes out. I've tried and tried to knock that live center out of that pieceof machined stock, but it doesn't come out. So either it doesn't come out, or there is something wrong and it's stuck. I'll try again I just don't want to damage that piece of stock

I've found a few videos on removing a stuck center from the tailstock quill, so I'm leaning towards it's just stuck and I'm going to go give it another go. Again, thanks.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2020 at 10:53pm by Leonard Ratliff »  

IP Logged

Leonard Ratliff
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Jet 1014
Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 11:33pm

Yep, it was simply stuck. I needed to remove the handle from the spindle on the tailpiece and then then lock the quill and spindle rod down, and was able to get it knocked out of there after that. Thanks for giving me the "quill" nomenclature which is what made it possible to find the step I was missing.

Much appreciated. I'm sure I'll have plenty of other questions as I go since I am a complete noob, in this area of expertise anyhow.

IP Logged

Leonard Ratliff
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Jet 1014
Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 3:44am

So, I actually do have another question.

Being new to this, what do you guys recommend as far as epoxy resin kits, for a beginner, and do I need to home brew some kind of pressure container for filling cracks and such in work pieces, as I see quite a few Youtube turners that do this?

IP Logged

Dwight Rutherford

WR Rocks!

Roseville, California, USA
Roseville
California
USA

Jet 1642
Rose Engine
Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 10:53am

I think you’ll get more responses if you start a new thread with your resin/epoxy and vacuum/pressure pot question.

IP Logged

Leonard Ratliff
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Jet 1014
Reply #8 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 4:26pm

Thanks.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #9 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 6:13pm

Welcome to the forum Leonard.  You will find a wide range of videos posted on this forum with the benefit that they have been pre-screened so there are no unsafe or bad practices shown.  Unlike Youtube.

Your profile doesn't indicate where you live, but quite possibly there is a woodturning group in your area.  Many may not be meeting until the coronavirus is controlled, but local groups often have mentors quite willing to assist new turners, some have regular meetings and demonstrations, all of which can be quite helpful.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print