Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Once turned bowls...
Aug 31st, 2020 at 12:54pm

I recently came into a number of nice blanks in sycamore and white oak.  Normally, I twice turn all of my pieces but don't really have enough time to turn these pieces and then allow them to dry properly before re-mounting.  I'm looking for inputs on the two woods in question...does anyone know if they'll work well as 'once turned' pieces?  thanks...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: Once turned bowls...
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 6:53pm

A few weeks ago I turned a couple sycamore bowls about 12" diameter with no problem.  I've turned a few red oak bowls, and have some 10" and 16" sections to tiurn this week, but haven't turned any white oak.

Especially with oak, keep a small brush on the headstock to wipe out accumulated wet sawdust from gouge flutes and scraper bevels.  The wood always wears away the cutting edge, leaving fine iron dust in that wet sawdust that will transfer from your hands and leave black iron stain on the wood.

All of my bowls are once turned, and i dry them in paper grocery bags on a concrete floor at grade.  Record the weight weekly; when the weight loss is less than 2% move the bowl and bag onto a shelf or table and continue weighing; when the weight loss again is less than 2% remove from the bag and continue drying on the shelf or table; when the weight loss again is less than 2% I have not hesitated to sand and apply finish (but often it is a month or more before I get to sanding and finishing).

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 9:37am

Don Stephan wrote on Aug 31st, 2020 at 6:53pm:
All of my bowls are once turned, and i dry them in paper grocery bags on a concrete floor at grade.  Record the weight weekly; when the weight loss is less than 2% move the bowl and bag onto a shelf or table and continue weighing; when the weight loss again is less than 2% remove from the bag and continue drying on the shelf or table; when the weight loss again is less than 2% I have not hesitated to sand and apply finish (but often it is a month or more before I get to sanding and finishing).

I always considered the idea of 'once turned' as turning and completing a piece in totality.  I would not have thought of doing all of what appears to me anyways as 'extra steps'.  thanks for sharing...

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 10:52am

If you want to do platters, you will need fairly dry stock. Best way to get best figure with sycamore, is to quarter saw it, which means the pith part of the tree is the bottom of a bowl. Cut a center slab that way, and the edges of the bowl will warp down as it dries. I do have some videos up of my turning process for warped bowls and how I remount them for sanding. I do use an articulated arm for sanding, so the arm holding the drill/sander is on the rest and I can spin the blank with one hand and sand with the other with no strain since the weight of the drill is supported on the articulated arm.

For drying, I do wrap the rim in stretch film. Oh, do make sure to round over your bowl rim edges. I generally don't do maple that way since it has a lot of sugar in it and can mold under the plastic. I believe sycamore is in the maple family and may react the same way. For sycamore, I would leave the walls maybe 3/8 thick, mostly because it is a fairly light weight wood, and just doesn't 'feel' right if you leave it thinner. 3/8 inch thick, on the garage floor, will be dry in maybe 10 days. Sycamore does like to warp a lot more than other woods, probably due to water content being very high. If you try to twice turn it, that 10% rule doesn't work. It is also a wood that will soak up finish like a dry sponge and may take several coatings of oil before it is happy...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 10:15am

The sycamore I've turned warped some, even after a year of drying. Just enough to prevent power sanding. Sycamore down here is a softwood (coniferous). Similar to tamarack looses needles in fall.

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Tony Rozendaal
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

East Troy, WI, Wisconsin, USA
East Troy, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Robust AB
Grizzly 12x20 Midi Lathe
Delta 10x16 Mini Lathe
Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2020 at 6:50pm

Glenn Jacobs wrote on Sep 2nd, 2020 at 10:15am:
The sycamore I've turned warped some, even after a year of drying. Just enough to prevent power sanding. Sycamore down here is a softwood (coniferous). Similar to tamarack looses needles in fall.

Glenn J.

I'm wondering if you are confusing sycamore and cypress? Sycamore is pretty much a unique deciduous tree with a patchy bark and a large lobed leaf.

Edited to add - for the best appearance, in my opinion, sycamore is most attractive when turned with the inside (pith side) of the log at the foot of a bowl and the outside (bark side) to the rim of the bowl.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2020 at 6:54pm by Tony Rozendaal »  

Turnin' and learnin'

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW trozendaal  
IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2020 at 7:59am

Tony. your right. Age got me.

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Forrest Forschmiedt

WR Rocks!

Martinsville, Virginia, USA
Martinsville
Virginia
USA

Jet 1840
Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2020 at 11:17am

I picked up a few sycamore logs from a local tree service early this year. It is a softer hardwood, close to poplar in hardness. I turned a few natural edge pieces from it and liked the results. They were all turned wet and warped a bit.
Here are a couple examples. The bigger bowl is about 10 inches across the rim and the two smaller ones are about 6 inches.
I got some chunks or red oak at about the same time. Made some attractive pieces but the oak does like to crack and yes, lots of time cleaning up splatter and resulting rust, even on stuff across the garage that just happened to be in the line of fire of the oak sap.

WWW ItsForrest  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2020 at 12:53pm

Nice work, I like the top bowl  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Don R Davis

WR Rocks!

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
USA

Jet 12-21 lathe. I now have a Powermatic 3520B as of 9/12/20.
Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2020 at 8:50am

I like all the bowls.   Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2020 at 9:37am

I agree, they all look good!

IP Logged

Forrest Forschmiedt

WR Rocks!

Martinsville, Virginia, USA
Martinsville
Virginia
USA

Jet 1840
Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2020 at 10:10am

Thanks guys.
I've been turning for almost a year now. It's gratifying when one or two turn out nice amidst all the "practice" pieces that go into the burn pile.

WWW ItsForrest  
IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2020 at 3:27pm

Forrest Forschmiedt wrote on Sep 13th, 2020 at 10:10am:
all the "practice" pieces that go into the burn pile.

Had a neighbor on the next cul de sac over that had a huge fire pit and almost every Saturday evening a gathering. I used to go over there with my practice pieces. Quite a few tried to fish them out of the fire saying there was nothing wrong with them.  Smiley

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2020 at 10:25am

I used to take a box of 'rejects' to one show I did, and put a sign on them, 'nothing more than $5. They would be gone in an hour or two. Some one would love them, and they have all sorts of uses, from pet food scoops to garden 'baskets'. The box was big enough that it would pay for my food for the weekend. Not that I made that many mistakes, but I made that many bowls....

robo hippy

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #14 - Sep 14th, 2020 at 6:29pm

robo_hippy wrote on Sep 14th, 2020 at 10:25am:
Not that I made that many mistakes, but I made that many bowls....
robo hippy

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print