Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
It's all how you present it and where (Read 214 times)

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
It's all how you present it and where
Sep 8th, 2020 at 10:34am

I recently saw a piece at a couple of vendors Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register that was very similar to a platter I made, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Now I know these are not the same but close enough for comparison sake. While mine may be more simplistic in one way, I would say there is more attention to detail. The retail piece may have a few more elements but you can tell it's a production type of piece, with a generic rim and a feature center. (There are others on the site linked)
So, a clumsy looking piece IMO sold at a high end store as being made by "Master Craftsmen" and Ka-Ching $4000
The one I made was a gift and I would not have asked 4K if it were for sale. I could only imagine what sort of price tag these people would put on my work and how much they take in commission. I may have to find out.

Don't sell yourself short, if you create good works, there is a market for it.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Re: It's all how you present it and where
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 11:35am

The average  consignment amount is 50%. A few want only 40%.

I have heard of a few galleries wanting 60% but that feels alot like highway robbery, not to mention extremely insulting!!

Why would anyone want to take the time and expertise to make something and then give the gallery MORE than they would make?

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 12:22pm

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Sep 8th, 2020 at 11:35am:
Why would anyone want to take the time and expertise to make something and then give the gallery MORE than they would make?

Its like a guy who owns a frame shop where the materials cost 20%-25% and he marks up the product and sells it to his customer, he's gotta make a living. As with the frame shop, the galley has the clientele, a building, along with all its expenses. All this and a better marketing plan as well. If an artist had all this as well they would be able to get that price on their own too. 

Ed Weber wrote on Sep 8th, 2020 at 10:34am:
I could only imagine what sort of price tag these people would put on my work
Yours has 8 points his has 16 points so $2000?  Wink

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 12:31pm

Ron Sardo wrote on Sep 8th, 2020 at 12:22pm:
Yours has 8 points his has 16 points so $2000? 

A comedian, so that's how it is  Grin

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 8:07am

The thing i noticed on the sample was the compass did not go all the way through. So was it inlaid? If so much more time consuming.

Glenn J.

Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 9:06am

As I said, these are more of a universal basic size shape platter with interchangeable centers, there are several on the site.
My point wasn't to critique the pierce itself but to point out that it's being passed off as one thing, while it's really not. Regardless of commission costs, this piece is just priced too high for what it is.
JMO

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 9:09am

Ron Sardo wrote on Sep 8th, 2020 at 12:22pm:
Yours has 8 points his has 16 points so $2000? 

My rim has 120 pieces there's has 8, that's 15 times as many, so 60K  Roll Eyes Grin

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 11:14am

Years ago, I looked at ETSY as a way of selling. I saw terrible pieces for outrageous prices, and beautiful pieces for almost nothing... I decided I had better things to do than compete with that...

I think there is a general 'rule' when manufacturing. Sale price should be some thing like 4 times the materials cost. In retail, if you buy it for $5, then you sell it for $10. Close, but some adjusting may be necessary...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 1:00pm

Years ago in "general" woodworking, you could use 2 1/2 times the cost of materials and be fine, not anymore.
When dealing with "art" all bets are off, you certainly can't use any multiple of cost of materials.
I usually find what the average selling price of similar items is, then adjust accordingly depending on quality.

I just posted this because it struck me as a bit ridiculous. If the piece we're made with a bit more attention to detail, then it might warrant the price being asked but not as it sits now.
Overpricing and under pricing just screw everything up.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 1:14pm

Ed Weber wrote on Sep 9th, 2020 at 9:06am:
Regardless of commission costs, this piece is just priced too high for what it is.

Not if someone buys it and is happy with it

Ed Weber wrote on Sep 9th, 2020 at 9:09am:
My rim has 120 pieces there's has 8, that's 15 times as many, so 60K

Just think... if you could sell only two a year you could retire  Wink

Ed Weber wrote on Sep 9th, 2020 at 1:00pm:
Years ago in "general" woodworking, you could use 2 1/2 times the cost of materials and be fine

The problem with 2-1/2 materials cost is it never takes into account for labor

Let's say you build a beautiful table from knotty pine then build a second one with the same specs using tiger maple. Yes you can a higher price from the maple table than from the pine table. It is my opinion you would be leaving money on the table selling the pine table.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 2:17pm

Ron Sardo wrote on Sep 9th, 2020 at 1:14pm:
Let's say you build a beautiful table from knotty pine then build a second one with the same specs using tiger maple. Yes you can a higher price from the maple table than from the pine table. It is my opinion you would be leaving money on the table selling the pine table.

I just completed a pair of outdoor side tables or end tables if you prefer, out of solid Redwood. My cost of materials was about $30. If I were to sell these, it would not be for $75,  I apologize for their appearance, I had to go out and wipe the dust and ash off of them before I showed them to anyone. (air has been too bad to spend any time outside)
This is why I really never like these formulas and "rule-of-thumb" type of pricing schemes, something always get overlooked.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 3:06pm

Lovely

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #12 - Sep 10th, 2020 at 11:36am

Beautiful pieces.

How do you like your stamped concrete patio? I did residential concrete for years, and did a fair amount of the stamping. I never trusted it to hold up for as long as standard broom finishes. I know we told people to make sure to seal it every year or so...

You must be down in California. We are very smokey here in Eugene, big fire just to the east of town. A number of friends have had to evacuate... I  had to turn on my air conditioner for the first time in the 2 years I have lived in my new house... 1 foot thick stacked block walls keeps the buildings warm in winter and cool in summer...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #13 - Sep 10th, 2020 at 11:57am

Thanks guys, the tables are just for my porch, I built them heavy and I know they'll last.

With the stamped concrete, it was here when I moved to this house 7 years ago, so far so good. There are some bad spots and some faded areas but overall not too bad. It does hide the fact that the people who installed it were impaired in some way. I think if you showed them a level they would have though you were a sorcerer or from the future.

I'm in the Sacramento area. Where I'm at (in a valley) sometimes the weather hangs out for days before it clears out. The last few days, the wind blew the smoke over us toward the south, then the next day it blew it back over again when the wind blew north. We're having a "decent" day today with the AQI under 100, about mid 80's. Hopefully this lasts but with the amount of smoke I wouldn't count on it.
Getting a half a day or so every week to do all the outdoor upkeep not to mention the projects that are on hold, just isn't enough.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #14 - Sep 11th, 2020 at 7:40am

First, where does one find all heart redwood since about the year 2000?  And all that wood for only $30?  You are not 200 years old.  LOL.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print