ALLAN KUNTZ

WR Rocks!

gull lake, Saskatchewan, Canada
gull lake
Saskatchewan
Canada

grain direction
Sep 26th, 2020 at 7:49pm

I am building a platter and want to put a 1/4 spacer in between 16 segments. The segments are 2.1/4 wide by 5 long. The grain in the segments are running the right direction. I want to use Ebony as the spacer. Will I be asking for trouble if I run the spacer grain the other direction or should i glue up enough ebony to run it the same direction as the segments. I am worried that a cross grain piece that small will crack.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: grain direction
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 9:16pm

You can but IMO you're at the limit.
Wood movement is like muscles, keep it small or thin enough and it doesn't have enough strength to overcome the glue and move out of place. The same reason plywood is stable, the laminates are too thin to overcome the glue bond and cause trouble.
1/4" is where I usually draw the line, although there are always exceptions, you need to know the risks.
There are other reasons for keeping alignment like species. Depending on the secondary wood, the ebony may be considerably harder, which can present issues when turning or sanding. The issues can be compounded if the grain is running perpendicular.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Re: grain direction
Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2020 at 5:54pm

Just to clarify for me, the 5" long segments are all running the same direction, not a starburst pattern where they would all be trimmed to triangles before assembly.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print