Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Packing and Shipping
Sep 30th, 2020 at 9:44am

Many of us have been ordering tools and supplies from online sellers for years and others are somewhat new to the process with the way things are these days.
Now over the years, I've received many poorly packed items, some over packed items and some that make you scratch your head.

Yesterday I received a box of staples I had ordered. 1/2" crown 2" long, box weighs just under 25lbs.  I came in the house from the shop and asked, "what package came"?
LOML says to me, "why do your staples have a fragile sticker on them"?
I really had no answer, it tales a lot to do any damage to these things. I suppose if you dropped the box, Undecided no wait, I think that happened, no damage. I think a heavy sticker was in order not a fragile one JMO

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Nova DVR XP
Re: Packing and Shipping
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 12:56pm

I wish I had photos, but last year I purchased some small parts for my pellet stove; among them a couple of delicate heat sensors.   With the parts I purchased were some items I didn't order, including not one but two heavy (and expensive) auger motors.   There was no packing material.   Everything was loose in the box.  Needless to say, the heat sensors were smashed to bits by the auger motors.   In the aftermath of my communications with the company regarding the order I would presume that someone in the shipping department lost their job over this.

Oh!  And also last year, I live in Maine and ordered a replacement tailgate for my pickup truck from a scrapyard in Texas (long story, but what I needed was hard to find).   The tailgate arrived, merely wrapped in one layer of cardboard.   Two corners of the tailgate were beaten in by the rough handling the tailgate was subjected to along the way.   Fortunately I was home when the UPS guy delivered it.   I refused the delivery.   The UPS guy and I both took photos of the damage, and I had no trouble getting my money refunded by the scrap yard.   

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 3:15pm

I ordered a really nice slab of a Claro Walnut Burl all the way from California and that was wrapped in at least 3 layers of cardboard!!
Got here in Maine with no tears in the cardboard.

Another time i  ordered a soapstone carving of an eagle ($400. my cost) and the dummy put it into a box and then filled the box with styrofoam peanuts.
No bubble wrap, just the peanuts.

As it got jostled and tossed in shipping, the piece floated to the top of the box of peanuts and, of course got broken.

Some people have absolutely no idea how to pack something.
They did refund me the money.

Originality is the art of concealing your source.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 4:52pm

Have you ever gotten something packed in peanuts (the cornstarch kind) on a humid  or rainy day?
If I open my door and it smells like Kellogg's Corn Pops. then I know there might be issues.

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2020 at 5:04pm

All the places i get things from that use peanuts only use the high quality ones that do not break down and help Ralph get more then 1 month of above freezing temperatures.  Grin

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 8:32am

I stuff my shirt and pants with them to keep from freezing!! Smiley

Just last year it was so cold... that a friend and I were talking and the words were freezing as they left our mouth and we had to bring them inside to the wood stove just to hear what we were saying!! Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 8:33am

I ordered online a low profile, over the range microwave with an exhaust hood from a big box hardware store. It wasn't a cheap item. Over the course of a few weeks I received three. I checked my credit card and only paid for one.

Here's the best part, I drove to the big box store and tried to return two like a nice guy. I didn't want a refund or anything, I just wanted them out of my possession. Even after I explained what happen they looked at me like I was trying to rip them off.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 9:57am

They couldn't understand why you weren't keeping them and selling them on Craigslist.

Did they eventually take them back?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Nova DVR XP
Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 10:19am

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Oct 1st, 2020 at 9:57am:
They couldn't understand why you weren't keeping them and selling them on Craigslist.

Did they eventually take them back?

One of the clerks took them back, loaded them in her car, and promptly sold them on Craigslist.  Grin

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #9 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 10:58am

Ralph Fahringer wrote on Oct 1st, 2020 at 9:57am:

Not something I would do, not part of my DNA.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #10 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 11:45am

Ron Sardo wrote on Oct 1st, 2020 at 10:58am:
Not something I would do, not part of my DNA.

I'm with you, unfortunately too many people would do what Ralph joked about.
It's probably easier for the Big-Box to write it off than try to fix the error  Shocked
They seem to be making it harder and harder to do the right thing  Undecided

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #11 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 12:16pm

We may be kidding but in reality, the paperwork for them to get them back into the inventory when they weren't officially removed does sometimes make it cheaper and fewer hassles to just let you keep them.

Robert's comment might not be all that far off.

No one knows about them except for you and whomever you gave them to.  Sort of a perfect storm for theft. Smiley

IP Logged

Ralph Fahringer
WR Addict

I'm the "Burly" Man!!

Ellsworth, Maine, USA
Ellsworth
Maine
USA

PM3520b
Reply #12 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 12:17pm

Let us know when you decide to order anything else from them, ok? Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #13 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 8:00am

Most Big box stores don't consider theft as a loss. When I worked for one, it was considered my upper management less expensive to have loss than to protect from it. We had one guy that would walk in once a week and walk out with $1000 worth of DeWalt tools. Just as bold as could be.

Glenn J.

Glenn+J  
IP Logged

John Cepko

WR Rocks!

Pasadena, Maryland, USA
Pasadena
Maryland
USA

Reply #14 - Oct 3rd, 2020 at 8:08am

I know a guy that works in Loss Prevention at the largest retailer. The audacity of the thieves just astounds me. He tells of people throwing a big screen TV in a cart, and walking out of the store, and actually being offended when confronted about it. Swear up and down they just paid for it, even though they are unable to produce a receipt, and are recorded on 100 video cameras doing it. He spends more time in court than a judge.
If they prosecute, and take it to court, they have the evidence to nail you, and it isn't that you stole only a pair of socks. They mainly want to stop the theft rings, and high end merch loss from wiping them out.
He has some stories to tell about the lengths some folks will go to steal.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print