WR Rocks!

Long Island, New York, USA
Long Island
New York
USA

NOVA DVR
Shop Move
Oct 1st, 2020 at 8:55am

Im in the process of selling my house in New York and moving to Arizona. The whole process, while intrusive, has not been that bad. Until now I have not thought too much about moving the contents of my shop, figuring Id deal with it when the time came, but that time is pretty much now. It's a long distance move, so I can't just rent a truck and pile my stuff in it.

I am not worried about hand tools and smaller power tools, those I can box up myself and let the movers pack them as the wish. And the shop furniture is no different than the rest of the furniture in the house, only I dont care too much if its scratched.

My big concern is the stationary tools, the lathe, table saw, drill press, and band saw. Right now, I am expecting to dismantle them as much as practical, but thats as far as my thinking has gone. I have no idea how the movers will deal with them. Does anyone have any experience or lessons learned they could share on this topic?

Thanks

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Re: Shop Move
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 9:16am

When we moved from Kansas to Wisconsin. About the only thing I took apart was the lathe - took the head stock off.  The moving guys I hired to load the truck wrapped everything in blankets.  If I remember right they were near the front of the truck against the sides.  Then they tied the lathe bed and band saw to the rails so they wouldn't tip.  Had no problems during the trip.

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Shop Move
Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2020 at 9:26am

Chris Brock wrote on Oct 1st, 2020 at 8:55am:
My big concern is the stationary tools, the lathe, table saw, drill press, and band saw. Right now, I am expecting to dismantle them as much as practical,

YES, remove anything like handwheels, head-stock, tail-stock, Depending on your TS, remove the wings

A mover will want the heavier items (stationary tools) first and more than likely, things will be loaded on top of them. This is why it's important to strip them down to the basics as much as feasible.
The machines will be wrapped in moving pads and usually strapped to the wall of the truck.
A lot of things can be involved with loading awkward items and a mover might opt to load the machines and "deck" over them to avoid damage and make it easier for him to load.

As I said, it depends on the mover, how full the trailer is, if your the only shipment. etc.  I would say just talk to the guy and tell him you concerns.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print