WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Watco Danish Oil MIA?
Oct 10th, 2020 at 11:12am

I've been working on a new table for the wife and she wants the finish to be Danish Oil. I've used that on turnings, but now I can't find the quart cans of Natural. If I want cherry, walnut etc I can get it or even a gallon of the natural, but no quarts. I tried 4 stores in Minneapolis, Mn and 2 here in my own town with the same results. AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!  Thank you for letting me vent.
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2020 at 11:13am by Bill Neff »  

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Al Wasser
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Robust American Beauty
Re: Watco Danish Oil MIA?
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2020 at 1:04pm

If you have an Ace Hardware, go get a quart of Antique Oil.  It is the same the Danish, just better as it has more solids in it

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2020 at 1:53pm

Have you considered making your own?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
ur-own/

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2020 at 2:04pm

I should add that there are too many  names and recipes for what, ends up being the same product.
A mixture of varnish (polyurethane), drying oil (long oil) and a solvent like mineral spirits.
Experiment, have fun

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2020 at 7:32pm

When I was mixing an oil-varnish blend I was using equal parts of linseed oil, an alkyd varnish (since discontinued) and mineral spirits.  I had applied several coats over a dark stain on red oak, and a couple weeks later the customer found that a damp paper towel was wiping off stain.  I was advised by a long time finishing expert that equal parts was a soft finish due to the amount of linseed oil.  I saw mention by that same finishing expert that the same "look" could be result from a harder finish by combining 1/9th linseed oil with 4/9ths varnish and 4/9ths mineral spirits.  I fixed the table with several coats of wiping varnish (without linseed oil) and haven't used an oil-varnish blend since.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2020 at 8:11pm

IMO
I would never use 33% oil, it's not necessary.
You need enough oil to cover and penetrate when thinned, that's all. Anything more is simply wiped off on the rag.
I think the 1:1:1 blend is an "easy to remember" formula more than the best recipe.

If I remember correctly,
Off the shelf Danish oils are in the neighborhood of 75% solvent and very little oil, less than 10%
SDS sheets don't provide enough information these days to determine what's actually in a product.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print