Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Task Lighting
Oct 16th, 2020 at 12:07pm

I'm looking for some task lights. Does anyone have any that they like, recommend? I find most are just more trouble to deal with than they're worth.
I'm hoping to get some input from others on what to look for or what to avoid.
Something more than a flashlight on a magnetic base.
I would prefer LED and AC,
I found some I plan to order (the price is right) but I'm not sure they'll be bright enough. At this point anything is better than what I have, which is either nothing or a PITA
I'm not made of money but if they're worth a premium price fine. I can't seem to find what I want at any price. A single style that can work on a variety of machines. Not every machine has an area to easily mount that's in the right position.
Thanks everyone

IP Logged

Joe Penn

WR Rocks!

Canton, Georgia, USA
Canton
Georgia
USA

Jet 1642 EVS
Re: Task Lighting
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 6:36pm

I like these. I use two on the lathe; one on the head stock and one aimed from the tail stock. I had a single LED that was too bright for me and I switched to two of these and it works for me.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Neither famous, nor infamous.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 7:08pm

I have two of these.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Absolutely the best machine light I have found. I have two because of a buy one, get one half off sale a while back. One at each end of my lathe and I can see scratches that do not exist otherwise. Sometimes annoying.  Smiley

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 7:54pm

Thanks guys, I'll check them out

IP Logged

David Moeller

Old chiseler

Linden, Michigan, USA
Linden
Michigan
USA

LAGUNA REVO 15X24
CONOVER 15 x Infinity

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 10:35pm

Have the ones Joe Penn uses. Found them 2 in a box for $15 so have 1 on lathe, drill press, band saw and chop saw. Check lists for best deal.

There are psychopaths and sociopaths - I'm a neuropath.

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 7:52am

I have two of these, Ed. The magnet is incredibly strong and the goose neck stays where I bend it. They are battery operated, but I converted them both to AC. They use a very bright Cree LED and can be focused narrow and wide.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 10:39am

I do like the focus feature
How did you go about converting them?
Did you buy/build a small ac/dc converter or is there a kit for this light

IP Logged

Grant Wilkinson
WR Addict

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
Canada

Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 10:54am

I figured out the most convoluted way to do it, Ed.  Seriously, I wanted to keep the ability to use batteries. That made things a bit more complicated. The unit comes apart, so it was not really all that difficult to run a two-conductor wire to the switch terminals. Then, I just drilled a hole through the body of the unit and ran the wire through it. I soldered a female jack onto that. I have many power bricks kicking around from various electronic things that no longer work. I chose one that puts out 4.8V DC - roughly equivalent to the 4.5V coming from the stock 3 x AA batteries. They work very well.
Stock, they put out a lot of light. I just found that the Cree LED chip went through batteries very quickly.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 11:02am

This is my favorite light:

What I like about it is the light spectrum, as it is very close to natural sun light. This is a favorite of the needle point sewers and quilters. Another brand is Ott lamps or lights. They can also double as 'therapy' lamps for those of us who live in grey climates, but being Irish, that doesn't bother me. I keep it at full brightness. I love it for bowls because of the size of the lamp. The individual lights have to be adjusted to be able to see the whole bowl. What I don't like about it is that the head is fairly heavy and gravity causes the flexible arm to sag eventually. Also, the metal sleeve for the pole is thin, and it eventually starts to wobble. I have learned to put a bungee cord around it to keep it from getting knocked over. I have yet to find a lamp with better light output.

One I haven't tried are the medical lights. They are on flex arms that will stay put, and can be rotated probably full 720 degrees so it can get anywhere. Best place to find them is to ask your dentist or doctor if they have any old ones up in the attic. No clue as to how much they cost.

I figure the LED lights need to work on their spectrums. Most are too white for me, and don't let me see clearly enough. I believe there are some 'grow' lights now that are LED, but haven't experimented with them.

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 11:14am

The main issue I have with halogen lights is the heat. I have some work lights, the ones with the little cage around them. You could make a grilled cheese sandwich on them.
LED's are getting better with the light spectrum, although you usually pay more for the better quality light..

I appreciate all the suggestions and didn't realize this was such a common theme for everyone. I have to hang a couple more ceiling lights which should lessen the need for task lights but not eliminate it. We'll see how it goes.
I did see a lamp that I might like above the lathe, it's 23" wide
Too many choices

IP Logged

Robert Hayward

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 12:47pm

I agree, too many choices. I followed your link, nice looking light. However, I did not see any reference to what Kelvin temperature color the light puts out. I find the color the light puts out important in the shop. I like a 5000k~6000k in the shop but prefer a 2700k~3000k in the house.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 1:02pm

I had originally found it on amazon (a 20" style) and it states
" About this item

2,200 LUMENS BRIGHT & 20” WIDE SHADE - An excellent light source with 24 Watts. With a color temperature of 5600K-6000K and a CRI of 80, it illuminates a bright beam of vivid light without glare. It features an impressively 20” wide shade, multi-position head joint and easily adjustable 32” arms with long reach. Provides an even dispersion of light over large areas that allow you to direct the light exactly where you need it. The best part is it doesn’t get hot! "

I sent them an email directly to find out without having to guess.
Waiting for a response

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 9:39pm

I got a response back from them
"Good Day.

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your concern is our top priority. We are glad that you showed an interest in our product. As for the color temperature of our Neatfi XL 2,200 Lumen Task Lamp, it has a color temperature of 5600K-6000K. This feature is a must-have if you are looking for the perfect lighting for various tasks and is a highly desired feature. I hope that I did help you with your inquiry. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be happy to assist.

Thank you for choosing Neatfi!"

IP Logged

robo_hippy
WR Addict

Eugene, OR, USA
Eugene, OR
USA

Reply #13 - Oct 19th, 2020 at 10:51am

I think most of the task type lights are now LEDs rather than the halogen lamps, which are a fire hazard. Haven't used them since I smelled some thing smoking many years ago... I have asked for, but haven't seen yet, an article in the AAW magazine for lighting needs, including spectrums...

robo hippy

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Oct 19th, 2020 at 11:19am

Lighting is important for eye health and safety.
I'm actually surprised it's not discussed more.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print