Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Bit Extender
Oct 16th, 2020 at 2:40pm

I'm hoping some of you pepper mill turners will know.
I'm looking for a bit extender, I have a no-name brand but the set screws won't stay tight.
Is there a brand you prefer?
Thanks

IP Logged

chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Re: Bit Extender
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 2:48pm

I just grind a small flat spot on the forstner bits shafts that I use in the extender.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 3:24pm

I understand that concept
The one I have has poorly machined set screws that won't stay tight whether they're screwed against a flat or round surface.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 3:33pm

Ed Weber wrote on Oct 16th, 2020 at 3:24pm:
The one I have has poorly machined set screws that won't stay tight whether they're screwed against a flat or round surface.

I had the same problem.  I swapped out the set screws for metric bolts with a six-sided cap and a dab of loctite.  I figured relative to any application I would use it for the set screws were worthless anyways and I could 'wrench' just that much harder on the socket head as opposed to the allen wrench.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Nova DVR XP
Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 4:22pm

You can get set screws with nylon inserts.  That might help.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

(But I, also, would probably just purchase a new bit extender.)
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2020 at 4:22pm by Robert Fischer »  

IP Logged

Dwight Rutherford

WR Rocks!

Roseville, California, USA
Roseville
California
USA

Jet 1642
Rose Engine
Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 4:25pm

I have used a “Irwin bit extender “ for years. Has held up well

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 6:10pm

Thanks guys
I saw the Irwin, might have to give it another look
I totally forgot about the set screws with nylon inserts, thanks for jarring my memory.
I suppose I could oversize the holes and re-tap them, since they're sloppily made from the factory.
I'm not going to put a lot of time or effort into a $15 dollar tool, just not worth it. I'll probably get another decent quality one and use the existing one to experiment with.

Everything I touch today seems to need adjustment, lubrication, sharpening or just plain breaks. Going to go clean up and stay out of trouble for a few hours, maybe

IP Logged

Robert Fischer

Windham, Maine, USA
Windham
Maine
USA

Nova DVR XP
Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2020 at 7:09pm

Ed Weber wrote on Oct 16th, 2020 at 6:10pm:
Everything I touch today seems to need adjustment, lubrication, sharpening or just plain breaks...

"Everything I touch today seems to need adjustment, lubrication, sharpening or just plain breaks be made in China."  Fixed that for ya'! Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Bill Perry

WR Rocks!

Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Asheville
North Carolina
USA

PM 3520B
PM 1420
Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 10:06am

I use this bit extender most often and the screws don't loosen easily - I've not needed thread-lock (yet). It's pretty stable at 12-14 inches. Pricey, but It goes on sale once and a while:

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 10:32am

Thanks Bill

I'm sure what's causing most of my issue, other than poorly tapped holes, is that I'm using this freehand not mounted in a machine. If it were mounted in a tailstock I might not have a problem or at least less of one.
I'm cutting some deep mortises and I need to remove the bulk of the waste wood before I refine with chisels. The added stresses of not being held perfectly straight, help it come loose quicker than usual.

IP Logged

Robert Hayward
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Tampa area, Florida, USA
Tampa area
Florida
USA

3520b
Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 11:09am

Ed, looks to me like it would be easy to make an extender on the wood lathe. My 3520b spindle has a 5/8" hole through it. A length of 9/16" or 1/2" drill rod would be easy to chuck up and bore the end for the proper size hole to fit your drill bit. Then side drill and tap one or two places for grub screw/s. You could make the extender any length you wanted.

IP Logged

Louie Powell
WR Addict

Saratoga Springs, New York, USA
Saratoga Springs
New York
USA

PSI 12" Turncrafter Commander
Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 11:22am

I have an Irwin - that is, I had one until I put it in a safe place, and then forgot where I put it.  That happens with age.  I bought a replacement, but then I found the one that I had lost (securely stored), so now I have two.

Grinding a flat on the drill bit shank helps, but isn't a perfect solution.  Robert proposed a DIY solution, but snuck in a really good suggestion - two grub screws rather than one.  If there is only one, once it starts to loosen, everthing vibrates which then causes it to loosen further.  That's less likely to happen with two grub screws.

Louie

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 11:23am

I could make one, the only problem is that what you described would take me more time and effort/materials than an off the shelf version.
I'm not trying to re-invent a tool here, I just want one that doesn't loosen during use.
I'm sure a little teflon tape or the set screws with the nylon insert will keep the little buggers from vibrating loose, that or a tack weld  Roll Eyes
If not, I can always get a long forstener bit but for now I don't have the justification for one, only two more mortises to go.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print