Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gloss Finish for Daily Milk and Cornflakes Cereal Bowl (Read 135 times)

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Gloss Finish for Daily Milk and Cornflakes Cereal Bowl
Oct 20th, 2020 at 7:03pm

Never thought finding a replacement gloss finish for wood food bowl would be so frustrating.  I've seen it said here so many times "shine sells" so I am looking for a gloss finish, knowing that with repeated washings by the customer the sheen will decrease.

After hours on the Internet I thought a tung oil finish would work.  Bought a quart and it looked great on a cherry cereal bowl.  But after a couple weeks of daily washings with a drop or two of a mild dish soap the finish was disappearing.  Called, the manufacturer said soap dissolves the oil bonds.

Tried Arm R Seal on a small bowl, it was getting tacky before I finished wiping it on.  Found a General Finishes group on FB and asked, one reply said the finish is not waterproof.  Asked what the difference was between Arm R Seal and Wood Bowl Finish, since the labels and web pages both say oil-urethane finish.  One reply said with daily washings the Wood Bowl Finish "would require maintenance" - asked what that meant and still awaiting a reply.

So after six or eight months I'm still looking for a replacement finish for the discontinued alkyd varnish.  Down to my last half quart and 15 or 16 15" diameter salad mixing bowls and a number of smaller bowls to finish before December.

Some of you have seen this before, I need a wipe on finish that I can apply off the lathe on both the inside and outside of wooden bowls at the same time.  I hold the bowl using a folded Brawny towel, wipe on the finish with a square of new T shirt material, immediately wipe off the excess with another folded Brawny paper towel, then place on a nail board to dry.

With the discontinued alkyd varnish I was able to wipe on three coats a day, but am willing to settle for 2 or even 1 per day if necessary.

No doubt I could use one of the waxes to increase the sheen temporarily after the finish cures but I am not comfortable doing that because the wax coating is going to wear off much quicker than a cured finish - strikes me as "a pig in a poke."

Nitrocellulose (INC) lacquer and shellac don't offer the durability I think the customer deserves in a food bowl, tried woodturning walnut oil once and it hadn't fully dried in 3 days - can't afford the time (and space) to leave bowls lying around for days between coats.

HELP!!!!!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Gloss Finish for Daily Milk and Cornflakes Cereal Bowl
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2020 at 8:27pm

Don Stephan wrote on Oct 20th, 2020 at 7:03pm:
Some of you have seen this before, I need a wipe on finish that I can apply off the lathe on both the inside and outside of wooden bowls at the same time.

Have you looked at this yet?
Emmet’s “Good Stuff” Wood Finish
I use it on my workbench top

IP Logged

Dave Richards

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2020 at 8:35pm

when I want a shiny finish I use the following:
dewaxed shellac apply a thin coat, allow to dry, then apply another coat. Allow it to dry overnight. Next day sand bowl with 2000 grit until very smooth to the touch and wipe sanding dust off with clean cloth. Begin applying Minwax WOP with dust free gauge pad in circular motion not going back over the same place twice. When completely dry reapply. Some days I can get 1 coat/some days 2 coats.

5-6 coats produces a beautiful finish

IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2020 at 5:46pm

I have had good results with both Minwax and Varathane brands of oil base poly. I have a sycamore travel mug that is at least 8 years old, has been washed many dozens of times, it still is shiny.  I usually thin poly with mineral spirits to achieve "wipe-on" poly.  After the first coat, I refrain from blending in any BLO or tung oil, which decreases the hardness of the coating.  That is what I believe you are experiencing with Arm-R-Seal.   That being said, I leave my cereal bowls unfinished.

IP Logged

Mike Nathal

WR Rocks!

Strongsville, Ohio, USA
Strongsville
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 11:08am

This was a recent post on the AAW forum,  from Curtis Fuller.  It might provide you with another option.   

Keith Burns, A Tennessee woodturner who I've learned so much from came up with his "Keith Burns 10 minute finish" years back. Basically he uses Minwax Antique oil. He applies a heavy coat, lets it sit for about 10 minutes, and then wipes it hard with paper towel or rags to remove any of the oil that hasn't penetrated the wood. The emphasis is wiping hard, getting as much of the oil off as possible. Then he immediately buffs it with the Beall buffing system using tripoli, then white diamond, and finally the carnuba wax used very sparingly. And that's it. This is NOT a gloss finish but a very soft sheen. It holds up well, I have pieces over 10 years old that still look great. The downside is it tends to ruin the tripoli buffing wheel after a while and it's not for pieces than have any kind of natural edges, voids, or beads or grooves or places that are hard to wipe clean. It's imperative that you sand it well first, to at least 400 which you should do anyway, but this finish doesn't give any second chances. But if you like a soft sheen finish and you're piece fits the requirements, it's the best quick finish I've used. I've also used the same process with WOP with the same results.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 2:56pm

A deconstructed friction polish

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 7:35pm

It's going to leave a very low sheen, but decided to try pure tung oil.  Should be no food safety questions from customers (I know what you are going to say Ed, after any film forming finish cures it is inert; but some customers will still be hesitant).  Slower application than a wipe on finish, I'm allowing 24 hours instead of 4 hours between coats, and I will wait at least a week before seeing how it responds to a soft sponge and mild liquid dish soap.

Applied the 3rd coat on red oak and black walnut test bowls, couldn't feel the red oak open grain so it is definitely a film on the wood, and it feels so silky smooth. . .

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 9:33pm

Don Stephan wrote on Nov 19th, 2020 at 7:35pm:
I know what you are going to say Ed, after any film forming finish cures it is iner

Well, that's what most say, I'm like you, always cautious.
I will tell you that Pure tung oil can take a month to fully cure. and you need to scuff sand in between coats.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
chris lawrence

WR Rocks!

JACKSON, New Jersey, USA
JACKSON
New Jersey
USA

Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 10:37pm

Tung oil is my go to finish for utilitarian bowls.  When i apply it i do not put on lite coats.  soak it good and if you have time recoat a couple times a day.  I have a 5 gallon bucket with 3 gallons in it.  If the bowl is small enough i will submerge and weigh it down for a couple hours to a day depending when i remember its in there.  If you don't expose the surface to to oxygen for an extended period of time the oil will continue to soak in.  I can tell i soaked it enough  when the end grain stops soaking it in.  After 2 to 4 weeks i buff the bowl out.

WWW Black-Label-Woodworks-1706061859611577  
IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2020 at 8:41am

I use Varithane Poly straight from the can as my WOP. Lay on a coat of BLO, let dry then the WOP. about 5-6 coats on Ash looks good and lasts.

Glenn J.

Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print