WR Rocks!

Denham Springs, Louisiana, USA
Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Hello from Louisiana
Nov 7th, 2020 at 7:20pm

Hello everyone. My name is Lee, but some call me Gunny. I spent a few years in the Corps before becoming a police officer at the age of 36. I just retired after 20 years as a police officer for the City of Baton Rouge.
Now that I have a lot of extra time on my hands, Iím looking at getting into woodturning as a new hobby. Itís not like I need a new hobby but I believe that one should not limit themselves when thereís so much more to learn.
Now Iím not new to working with wood, Iíve been doing custom stock repair work for over 30 years as a hobby. A few months ago I started looking into woodturning. And like everything else that I do, I jump in with both feet.
I hope to have my new shop built before Christmas, but have made some room in my current shop to start.
I have decided to start off with the Jet 1221VS Lathe, but not sure which cutting tool set to start with. So, Iím here to learn and get advice on things I should buy to get started.
Iíve already started collecting wood. I just got some wild cherry from a friend.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Re: Hello from Louisiana
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2020 at 7:27pm

Welcome to the forum Lee
I know there are many members here that have the same lathe and can give you plenty of help.
As far as tools, there is a Ford vs. Chevy type of debate.
Traditional tools require regular sharpening which means some type of grinder or powered sharpening system of some kind.
Replaceable cutter Carbide tools don''t require sharpening as the cutters are designed to be disposable but the tools are used in a different manner.
It all depends on the individual.
Don't be shy about asking questions
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2020 at 7:27pm by Ed Weber »  

IP Logged

Lee Bihm

WR Rocks!

Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2020 at 7:56pm

Hi Ed
I plan to start with traditional tools and later add carbide. Iíve looked at the ones at Harbor Fright, but was not impressed. I would rather spend the money on a good set and just cry once. Grin
I have the money to spend on the things I will need, but need the advice from those that know so that I donít waste my money on things I donít need.
Iíll be starting some post in the tool section to get the help I need.
Iíve been doing some reading and really like what Iíve seen. Looks like yíall have a nice group here.

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, USA
North DFW
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2020 at 9:53am

Welcome Lee. For good videos go to our TPT section. They have all been reviewed and deemed safe. Some on u-tube are questionable. We ALL like to help out new comers.  Smiley Take what applies to your situation and leave the rest. We won't get offended. Before you spend money, please, ask here first. The lathe is the least expensive part of turning. I believe I've sent more an tools than on my first lathe.

Glenn J.

Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Lee Bihm

WR Rocks!

Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2020 at 11:43am

Thanks Glenn
Iíve been checking out prices on tools and can see myself spending more then twice the amount of the lathe.
Iíve started a couple of post in the tool section to get some advice on tools. I have the money to spend, just donít want to waste it on things I really donít need.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print