Denham Springs, Louisiana, USA
Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Which chisel set?
Nov 7th, 2020 at 8:12pm

Hi everyone.
I’m just getting started and can use as much help as I can. I’m about to order a Jet 1221VS lathe, but not sure which chisel set to start with. I want something better then the Harbor Fright starter set, but I don’t want to start off with Carter and Son.
I would like to know what y’all would recommend.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2020 at 8:13pm by Lee Bihm »  

IP Logged

Dave Richards

WR Rocks!

Re: Which chisel set?
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2020 at 8:58pm

check out Benjamin Best at Penn State. Suggest not buying a set but get individual tools you need depending on what you plan to turn

IP Logged

Glenn Jacobs
WR Addict

JC L&S

North DFW, Texas, Texas, USA
North DFW, Texas
Texas
USA

Powermatic 3520C
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2020 at 10:43am

Lee, sent you a PM

Glenn J.

Woodworking all my life. Turning since ~93
Glenn+J  
IP Logged

Lee Bihm

WR Rocks!

Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2020 at 11:21am

Thanks Glenn
I plan to start off turning bowls, but who knows what else will peak my interest.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2020 at 12:03pm

In part the answer might depend on how you intend to sharpen, and whether you can find a mentor in your area.  I wanted from the start to learn to sharpen freehand, and struggling without a freehand sharpening mentor my first tools didn't last forever.  Now that I understand freehand sharpening and use a Robo Rest each grinding takes off just a very small amount of metal, as would one of the sharpening jigs.

There is nothing wrong with starting out with a less expensive manufacturer until you are comfortable with sharpening, then as necessary buy from a more expensive manufacturer whose tools don't dull as quickly.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2020 at 12:38pm

Don Stephan wrote on Nov 8th, 2020 at 12:03pm:
In part the answer might depend on how you intend to sharpen, and whether you can find a mentor in your area.  I wanted from the start to learn to sharpen freehand, and struggling without a freehand sharpening mentor my first tools didn't last forever.  Now that I understand freehand sharpening and use a Robo Rest each grinding takes off just a very small amount of metal, as would one of the sharpening jigs.

I started to cover this partially in Lee's introduction thread
A few minor points.
As with most everything tool related, it boils down to the individual.
"freehand" sharpening (or sharpening with a grinder and tool rest platform) is a skill unto itself and may not be for everyone.
Sharpening systems that use dedicated jigs cost more but have little or no real learning curve. and typically give repeatable results immediately.
As I started to mention before, you can spend as little or as much as you want on sharpening. A lot has to do with your method of work. Some people dislike sharpening of any kind while others obsess over the perfect edge.
With most hings you need to find a balance, how much you plan on turning, how much you want to spend and so on.

For my method of turning and tools I use, I have a jig based system and CBN grinding wheels. This is what gives me the results I want although this is not for everyone.

I'll second looking at the Benjamin's Best tools for starting out.
The steel is decent quality for what you pay and can get pretty far until you develop enough sense of which direction you want to go in turning/sharpening.
Kits will inevitably have at least one tool you'll never use but can be cheaper than buying individual tools to start with, that's up to you.
As you're relatively new to all this I suggest a kit, you never know what tools you may gravitate towards.
And since we all have tools sitting in drawers that we don't use, why should you be any different.  Smiley

IP Logged

Lee Bihm

WR Rocks!

Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2020 at 6:18pm

I plan to go with a jig for sharpening tools, I think this will be my best bet.
I have plenty of time on my hands now and see wood turning as a way to keep me busy and have some fun.
And tell me about having extra tools in the shop. Roll Eyes My current shop is 15 x 25 and is packed full. I have over 22 feet of bench tops and they are full. Building another shop just for turning and light wood work will free up space in my gun shop. I’ve decided to build the new shop 16’x 25’. That should take some time to fill up. Smiley
I wish I could find someone local that’s into turning, but as of right now, no luck.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2020 at 8:02pm

Lee Bihm wrote on Nov 8th, 2020 at 6:18pm:
I have over 22 feet of bench tops and they are full.

Admit it, you have 3 feet of bench tops and 19 feet of shelves covered with tools  Grin
Just do a search for turning clubs in your area, there are usually AAW chapters everywhere
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Lee Bihm

WR Rocks!

Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2020 at 8:32pm

Ed Weber wrote on Nov 8th, 2020 at 8:02pm:
Lee Bihm wrote on Nov 8th, 2020 at 6:18pm:
I have over 22 feet of bench tops and they are full.

Admit it, you have 3 feet of bench tops and 19 feet of shelves covered with tools  Grin
Just do a search for turning clubs in your area, there are usually AAW chapters everywhere
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Looks like Bayou woodturner is only doing zoom meetings right now with COVID-19.
I guess you could say that my bench tops are shelves.

IP Logged

John Grace
WR Addict

Everyone needs a good
wingman...

Bel Air, Maryland, USA
Bel Air
Maryland
USA

Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 11:19am

I strongly recommend against sets...especially if you're focuing on bowl turning.  Most sets come with two skews and several spindle gouges which are not suitable for bowl turning.  Turning requires a lot of specific and frequently expensive tools.  I'd start with just one 1/2" bowl gouge and a parting tool.  Those two tools should give you an idea of where you're going and then buy one tool at a time specific to the problem you're trying to solve in front of you.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”  Kipling

IP Logged

Lee Bihm

WR Rocks!

Denham Springs
Louisiana
USA

Jet1221VS
Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 3:10pm

John Grace wrote on Nov 9th, 2020 at 11:19am:
I strongly recommend against sets...especially if you're focuing on bowl turning.  Most sets come with two skews and several spindle gouges which are not suitable for bowl turning.  Turning requires a lot of specific and frequently expensive tools.  I'd start with just one 1/2" bowl gouge and a parting tool.  Those two tools should give you an idea of where you're going and then buy one tool at a time specific to the problem you're trying to solve in front of you.

With the info I’ve gotten here, this is what I will do. I’m going to order my lathe this week and order maybe two bowl gouges and a parting tool. 

IP Logged

Robert Evans

WR Rocks!

HOSCHTON, Georgia
HOSCHTON
Georgia

Grizzly G0766
Rockwell Delta 46-111  (retired to buffing duties)
Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 8:53pm

You can order HSS off of amazon or ebay and make a lot of your own tools.  I've made a point tool, thin parting tool, negative rake scraper, bedan and several other tools much cheaper than buying commercial stuff.   You can also make your own carbide tools too but I haven't gone down that route yet.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 9:45pm

To add to Roberts suggestion about tool making.
I prefer to make my own handles and from the looks of your work, you might a well.
Many of the better tool brands that have already been mentioned come UN-handled. I prefer to buy mine this way and turn my own to fit my personal turning style. It's also pretty easy to remove the steel from an existing tool and mount it in your own handle, should you find the handle to be too short or too thin or uncomfortable in some way.
Making your own handles is a great starting project and there's nothing like using a tool you made.

IP Logged

Don Stephan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Cincinnati, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #13 - Nov 10th, 2020 at 8:10pm

The original poster I think is new to wood turning, and thus has no experience with the shapes of lathe tool handles.  After using handled tools for a couple years I developed a basic spindle gouge handle shape, another for bowl gouge handles, and a third for scraper handles.  The spindle and bowl gouge handle shapes are different enough that a couple months ago I realized at the last moment before touching the wood that I had picked up a spindle gouge by mistake, rather than a bowl gouge.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #14 - Nov 10th, 2020 at 8:27pm

Don Stephan wrote on Nov 10th, 2020 at 8:10pm:
The original poster I think is new to wood turning, and thus has no experience with the shapes of lathe tool handles.

True, but he is a woodworker.
Most people who work with hand tools instinctively know if something is awkward or comfortable.
You have to have a tool with a handle to make a handle for a new tool.
If can't be the first project that's for sure.
Also nothing to say you only have to make handles for lathe tools. I make handles for chisels, awls, screwdrivers, files and so on.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print